Menu

Family Dog

My husband and I adopted a mutt the year we were married and we had to put her to sleep a year ago. She was a large dog who shed a lot. I loved her but I am not in a position to take on that kind of dog again.

I am missing having a family pet but I think we need to scale down to a smaller dog who doesn't shed as much. I'm thinking so small that they would get a good amount of exercise from just running up and down all our stairs. Of course I am happy to walk the dog but our last dog needed a good mile walk per day at the least to get enough exercise. I just can't always make that happen every day.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a dog under 20 lbs. that doesn't shed a lot and is good with small children?

We rescued a pound puppy who is 1/2 border terrier and 1/2 dachshund (and probably something else). She has wiry hair and doesn't shed much, but I do have to comb her every couple of weeks, which takes about 4 minutes. Right now she is 7 pounds at 5 months old, but we're expecting her to get to around 12-14 pounds.

She is so different from our chocolate lab. I loved our lab to pieces, but this little pup has gotten into my heart in a different way. Must be all the time she spends in my lap. :tongue_smilie:

We have a shih-tzu/maltese that we adopted through a local rescue. He weighs about 11-12 pounds and doesn't shed at all. He does need to be groomed every couple of months.

Super fun dog! He has the goofiest personalty and exerts all of his energy playing with our cats. He is fantastic with the kids and I don't think he has ever met a stranger. People and kids visit our house and he thinks they're his best friend. He has the most "big dog" personality I've ever seen in a small dog.

We have a shih-tzu/maltese that we adopted through a local rescue. He weighs about 11-12 pounds and doesn't shed at all. He does need to be groomed every couple of months.

Super fun dog! He has the goofiest personalty and exerts all of his energy playing with our cats. He is fantastic with the kids and I don't think he has ever met a stranger. People and kids visit our house and he thinks they're his best friend. He has the most "big dog" personality I've ever seen in a small dog.

That's what my Little Lulu is, except she's 9 pounds. She doesn't shed at all, but she does need to go to the groomer every six weeks or so. She loves everyone in our family.

post-29349-13535086273298_thumb.jpg