Menu

How to handle this?

DS who is 10 is spending the night with his grandparents. My in-laws. He just called to ask a question and told me in a hushed tone that they watched Reel Steel last night. I asked if there was anything in the movie that was bad and he said there were a lot of cuss words and several immodest women. I'm pretty annoyed at this point. That movie is PG-13 and he doesn't need to be watching that. I looked it up on pluggedinonline and there are multiple cases of immodest women, drunkeness, awful cuss words, etc. How do we handle this kindly? I'm mad right now. DH was allowed to watch anything and everything growing up and it negatively affected him. I do NOT want my son watching garbage.

Did they know your ds wasn't allowed to watch certain movies? Your dh should let them know what your guidelines are.

I took ds10 to see Reel Steel and thought it was fine, but probably wouldn't put it on for his friends without checking with the parents first.

Did they know your ds wasn't allowed to watch certain movies? Your dh should let them know what your guidelines are.

I took ds10 to see Reel Steel and thought it was fine, but probably wouldn't put it on for his friends without checking with the parents first.

This. We loved this movie.

It is interesting that you would call it "garbage." That is what the movie is about. Taking the "throw away's" in life, and seeing them for the treasures they are.

If they've been previously told that movies must be pre-approved, then your dh should have a straight talk with them. However, if it was a rule they haven't heard of before, then the onus is on your ds to some extent to say, "Hey, Grandpa/Grandma, I have to ask my parents for permission before I watch this movie." Our children have done this multiple times when at friends' houses. We definitely hold them personally accountable for what they watch at other people's houses, and would expect them to call us if something inappropriate was put in the DVD player. I would be annoyed with my children if they watched something they knew was off limits and then called after the fact to tell me--and maybe blame the adults. Your child does have the ability (and is old enough, IMO) to walk out of the room and go read a book.

"Garbage" is relative, as I'm sure you know. Something inappropriate for a 10 year old may be just fine for an adult or older teen. Sometimes older people--especially those who are used to watching anything and everything--may not have good filters for what is appropriate for children. Not to be trite, but they may have thought they were picking a good kid's movie. :lol: After all, it has a kid IN it, and it's not "R." [tic]

If they've been previously told that movies must be pre-approved, then your dh should have a straight talk with them. However, if it was a rule they haven't heard of before, then the onus is on your ds to some extent to say, "Hey, Grandpa/Grandma, I have to ask my parents for permission before I watch this movie." Our children have done this multiple times when at friends' houses. We definitely hold them personally accountable for what they watch at other people's houses, and would expect them to call us if something inappropriate was put in the DVD player. I would be annoyed with my children if they watched something they knew was off limits and then called after the fact to tell me--and maybe blame the adults. Your child does have the ability (and is old enough, IMO) to walk out of the room and go read a book.

"Garbage" is relative, as I'm sure you know. Something inappropriate for a 10 year old may be just fine for an adult or older teen. Sometimes older people--especially those who are used to watching anything and everything--may not have good filters for what is appropriate for children. Not to be trite, but they may have thought they were picking a good kid's movie. :lol: After all, it has a kid IN it, and it's not "R." [tic]

What Abagail said. :iagree:

Thanks for the input. I think it was my FIL and DS alone. FIL probably didn't check the rating and DS didn't know anything other than it was a movie about robots. DS should have told FIL when stuff we wouldn't have approved of popped up. We'll talk about it when he gets home and DH will deal with his parents. I don't think that move in particular is garbage. It does seem inappropriate for a 10yo IMO. I meant I don't want him watching garbage in general that way DH was allowed to growing up.

This. We loved this movie.

It is interesting that you would call it "garbage." That is what the movie is about. Taking the "throw away's" in life, and seeing them for the treasures they are.

:iagree:My son watched it the other night. He's 11. I don't recall anything untoward in that movie.