Menu

I've cancelled my dental appt. for the 3rd time...

I just can.not.get.past.it. I am terrified. I need a crown on a molar. I cannot face that feeling, that sound of grinding. This dentist does not use oral sedation. Does taking a 'Halcion' pill even help? I am a mess, no sleep, extremely embarrassed. What should I do?

Does your dentist use laughing gas? The only way I can go in for dental work is if I can have laughing gas. I even pay out of pocket for it (and I am way cheap :lol:).

Otherwise, can you find a new dentist? I'm always hearing ads about dentists who use the conscious sedation methods.

I'm sorry, I totally get being a mess about it :grouphug:

You poor thing.

I've been through this, and even shared with the hive about it.

Go to a dentist that does sedation dentistry. He'll give you a pill to take that makes you not remember what happened when you were there. I'm seroius. I was TERRIFIED of the dentist. I feel comfortable enough now to get cleanings done every six months.

Yes, I would definitely go to another dentist. He won't even give you a prescription for valium? That's what got me through the removal and replacement of my 8 porcelain veneers a few months ago.

I've got big fears of gnarly tooth procedures and with the valium, I wouldn't have cared if they had yanked them all out of my mouth lol.

I'm terrified of the dentist too. Have you discussed it with him? If he won't give you something to help, find another dentist.

I've had some major dental work done and it does get easier with time. The longer you put it off the harder it gets. Medication really does help.

:grouphug:

I just got back from having dental work for my first crown ever. I am a stressed out, high anxiety mess even for a regular cleaning. the first two shots to numb were not enough. The third hurt like ****, but did the trick. For the pain anyway. Did nothing for the stress and anxiety. I am so numb I can't even blink my left eye. I totally understand where you are coming from. :grouphug:

My husband had two crowns done recently and the gas worked for him. I'd still go with the valium.

I wonder, if the dentist won't give it to you, would he still do the work if you get the prescription from your gp and show up at the dentist sedated?

I don't get the whole no-drugs thing, sometimes lol. Why suffer?

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I understand completely, but you can do this if I did. My only regret was not doing it sooner. If there was a way, I'd go with you:grouphug:. You can pm me if you want details.

My dentist, does give anxiety meds to those who want them...I was too chicken to take mine.:001_huh:

I just can.not.get.past.it. I am terrified. I need a crown on a molar. I cannot face that feeling, that sound of grinding. This dentist does not use oral sedation. Does taking a 'Halcion' pill even help? I am a mess, no sleep, extremely embarrassed. What should I do?

Get the valium!!! They gave it to me when I had my wisdom teeth out at 15. The whole experience ended up being FUN. :lol: The door was breathing, the wall paper became 3-dimensional, and all I remember of the procedure is the fact that they put an IV in, but I don't remember feeling it at all. I just remember seeing it, basically. Valium is awesome! They did put me out further, since they were removing impacted wisdom teeth, but the valium is good stuff.

Sedation dentistry is becoming so popular these days (I hear commericals on the radio all the time) that there is no reason you need to suffer through a procedure like that without it. If your anxiety is that bad, get some good drugs and get the procedure over with. Better to do it now than to wait until it's worse and requires even more work. BTDT with medical stuff. :tongue_smilie:

I'm terrified of the dentist too. Have you discussed it with him? If he won't give you something to help, find another dentist.

I've had some major dental work done and it does get easier with time. The longer you put it off the harder it gets. Medication really does help.

:grouphug:

Yes - let the dentist (or at least his front office staff) know WHY you have to keep canceling, and ask them to either make accommodations for your comfort, or recommend a dentist who will sedate you.

Could be the dentist is simply not licensed to do total sedation? Could an oral surgeon do a crown?

Thank you all for your kind opinions. They really helped. I was such a wreck that I asked dh to call them and cancel the appt. Goodness. I imagine he told them why lol. For some reason, most dentists in SW VA don't use oral sedation. :confused: I just don't understand why not. Is it risky? Is it killing patients? Or are they killing their dentists? ;) I am still searching for a new place to try. Thank you again!

If you have a regular doctor, they will likely be willing to write a scrip. Just call and explain the situation to them. Because you need so few that you can't possibly want them for abuse purposes, he might even just call it in for you.

The way my dentist did it was 2 Valium per visit; take one the night before, and one about 45 minutes before your appointment. Then laughing gas as soon as I sat in the chair, and an ipod to drown out some of the noise.

Ideally, though, I would want a dentist who would prescribe meds on his own, because that usually reflects his willingness to work with dental-phobic patients and be patient with them. A visibly annoyed or impatient dentist undoes a lot of the help the Valium offers, kwim?

Sedation dentistry. I am the same way. I had 3 teeth removed and got fitted for a bridge and gods only know what else, and I have no memory of it whatsoever other than the assistant occasionally waking me up to tell me I was doing just fine. I don't remember the next day, either.

DH went with me, and it cost me out of pocket, but it was so worth it to finally be able to get things done that needed doing.