Menu

Favorite Tried and True Gluten Free Recipes

Fudgy Black Bean Brownies Yield:

16 squares

2 cups cooked black beans (or 1 can, rinsed and drained)

3 eggs

1/3 cup melted butter*

1/4 cup cocoa powder

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 cup sugar (or 1/2 cup honey)

1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor bowl or blender, combine the black beans, eggs, melted butter, cocoa powder, vanilla, and sugar. Pulse or blend until smooth (or as smooth as possible).

2. Grease an 8x8-inch glass baking dish. Pour the batter into the greased dish. Sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts (if using) over the top and use a spatula to push them down into the batter just a little (but not too much; they will sink some while the brownies bake).

3. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes, until brownies are set in the middle. Watch the edges for excess browning if you're not sure they're done. (Mine seem to take a full 50 minutes, and are still chewy but not gooey.)

Cool and then chill before serving! Store in fridge.

I make these without walnuts! We love them every time we make them.... mmmm may have to make some more soon!

Always looking for recipes that are not only GF but also without xanthan gum. DD is GF and I cannot have xanthan gum! If I touch it my hands immediately turn red and burn... cannot imagine what it does inside my body!

I'll start! :D

Pão de Queijo I bake those in mini muffin tins. Comes out delicious every time. Disappears quickly. ;)

Your turn!

Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I made them for lunch and dd loved them!!! She hasn't had anything bread like in 2 1/2 years because of the taste/texture. Going gf due to celiac disease can definately be a challenge! I don't have my cookbook handy but our favorite recipe is from Gluten-free Baking Classics by Annilise Roberts (I think that'sthe name/author). It's the brownies-we throw in extra dark chocolate chunks. I swear I could send dd through college selling them:D

Fudgy Black Bean Brownies Yield:

Ooh, sounds good! Have you tried Guar gum instead? I heard some people are using it instead xanthan.

Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I made them for lunch and dd loved them!!! She hasn't had anything bread like in 2 1/2 years because of the taste/texture. Going gf due to celiac disease can definately be a challenge! I don't have my cookbook handy but our favorite recipe is from Gluten-free Baking Classics by Annilise Roberts (I think that'sthe name/author). It's the brownies-we throw in extra dark chocolate chunks. I swear I could send dd through college selling them:D
I have that book, but haven't tried anything yet. Thanks!

Inna- We just got back from a college visit to Purdue University. Walked into one of the dining halls and your rolls were the first thing we saw!!! The DH manager ds has multiple allergies and she is leading food services in adding all kinds of foods for people w/celiac disease or various allergies. We were VERY impressed with what all they offered and the accomdations they were willing to make. Also, our tour guide's sister is celiac and she said that they really do take care of the students. Just reassured dd that she could go to college and not starve!