Menu

Sundays are killing me. Can you help with menu?

On sundays, we have church from 9am until 12:30.

I'm usually good at getting them a good, solid breakfast. The problem is after church going on....

We have exactly 10 minutes to feed the kids AND get them in uniforms, then out the door until 6pm.

They're starving, and cranky. I am running crazy trying to get things done.

We cant afford to eat fast food for lunch and dinner EVERY sunday, and all I come up with is either PB&J or some eggs.

I can do crockpot, but I have no ideas. My brain is just scrambled from the craziness we go through each weekend.

How do ya'll do it? Thoughts, ideas, etc?

I would probably bring a cooler with a big meal to eat after church, and not bother going home.

You could pack cold fried chicken, hearty (meat, cheese, vegetables or tuna or egg salad) sandwiches, hot soups in a thermos, bean burritos, etc. with fruit or vegetable sides. And maybe some healthy whole grain cookies or brownies to go with the meal.

I'm assuming it's taking too long to get home before you have to rush out again, so I'm suggesting to bring food along with you.

Honestly, though, I would seriously re-evaluate the schedule. :grouphug: That sounds like a lot of crazy rushing around that nobody is enjoying.

I'd cook up a big pot of something Saturday that could be warmed up fast on Sunday - even a roast chicken or roast beef for tasty cold sandwiches. Cook up a batch of burrito filling (chopped up leftover roast or chicken or use hamburger) on Saturday so it can be nuked to heat n' eat in a tortilla Sunday. My in-laws used Sunday to break out the more exotic sliced lunch meats and cheeses and different breads or rolls for lunch - yeah, it is just a sandwich, but on a Kaiser roll it seems special!

I'd probably crock something like a beef or pork roast that could cook overnight and still be good at lunchtime. We just crock it until it falls apart so it can be made into a pulled-whatever sandwich or mixed with instant rice for a one dish meal. You could serve crocked beef over a microwave-baked potato as well. Bean soup will sit well in a crock as will chili, vegetable soup or pea soup.

Alternatively, I might consider packing a cooler and having sandwiches that the kids could eat in the car on the way home from church now and then just so you could have a little more down time.

If they have to last until 6 and you aren't dealing with allergies, I'd probably pair whatever I'm serving with a high carb/high protein smoothie or something similar.

The truth for us is that my oldest can't go longer than 2 hours without a protein and has food allergies so I'd have to pack a small cooler full of sandwiches for him to make it through a day like that. ;)

Edited by MomatHWTK

I'm usually good at getting them a good, solid breakfast. The problem is after church going on....

We have exactly 10 minutes to feed the kids AND get them in uniforms, then out the door until 6pm.

We cant afford to eat fast food for lunch and dinner EVERY sunday, and all I come up with is either PB&J or some eggs.

I can do crockpot, but I have no ideas. My brain is just scrambled from the craziness we go through each weekend.

We quit soccer. Worked like a charm.

That would be an unsustainable schedule for me. I'd get hungry and cranky too. Even if you figure out the food part, trying to eat enough in ten minutes to hold you the rest of the day seems like a miserable, rushed scenario. Do you HAVE to do 3 1/2 hours of church? What's the worst that would happen if you left early? Can the uniformed activity be done a different day or pushed back half an hour? Do you and the kids look forward to Sunday or has it become a day you must live through? How would you feel to find the evening activity had been cancelled one Sunday (for snow, or whatever)? Would you be relieved or disappointed. What's the worst that would happen if you were 20 minutes late for something that lasts ALL evening? How are the other families pulling this off???

Even if you've prepped food ahead of time, it'll take a few minutes to reheat. The kids need a few minutes to change. You're down to 3-4 minutes to eat? No wonder you are stressed. You have essentially double-booked your family and you're determined to pull it off.

Edited by KungFuPanda

I am assuming the uniforms are for sports? So you want a good mix of protein and carb. What about interesting sandwiches? Chicken salad one week, egg salad the next, then tuna, and maybe BLT? You can make your filling for the week on Saturday, then just assemble and out the door.

Salad and a bread roll? Chef salad, cobb salad etc...

Baked potato? If you cook them saturday, just split open and nuke to warm. You can do different fillings each week. Baked beans, grated cheese, even tuna salad.

casseroles in the crock pot are also good, I was just thinking that the others are easy to pack and go (so they can eat in the car if necessary)

The uniforms are actually scouts. Because hubby and I are both leaders/volunteers, we are obligated. We have no options on the date, as hubby's work schedule dictates that too.

Church time includes the travel time. Hubby, for the first time ever, really really wants to start attending the Bible studies AND main church. I'm trying to accommodate this, because he really feels like he NEEDS it. If you knew hubby, you'd know this is a big deal.

But combining this AND scout activities is becoming a challenge.

We do have breaks in the scouts, and I do give snacks to the kids. Usually pretzles, granola, fruit, etc...

I love these ideas. I need to get organized for weekend meals. last minute planning is killing us.

For the last 4 years my DH had about 20 minutes between church & having to run out to meetings.

Every week I planned something on Tuesday that could be re purposed for Sunday lunch. For example, on Tuesday I would roast an extra chicken and shred the meat & keep it in a zipper bag until Sunday. On Sunday dump it into the crockpot with a bottle of BBQ sauce. After church we would rush home slap the BBQ chicken into a roll with some coleslaw mix and send DH out the door. Shredded chicken could also become taco filling with salsa and black beans in the crockpot and rolled into tortillas. Shredded pork roast & beef roast was treated the same way. Meatballs made in a big batch can go straight from the freezer into the crockpot with a jar of sauce and made into sandwiches.

On Saturday I would cut up a ton of fruit and veggies to pull out as soon as we got home.

Sometimes I make giant batches of burritos and freeze them individually to pull out, throw into the microwave and crisp in a skillet.

Amber in SJ

I would probably bring a cooler with a big meal to eat after church, and not bother going home.

You could pack cold fried chicken, hearty (meat, cheese, vegetables or tuna or egg salad) sandwiches, hot soups in a thermos, bean burritos, etc. with fruit or vegetable sides. And maybe some healthy whole grain cookies or brownies to go with the meal.

I'm assuming it's taking too long to get home before you have to rush out again, so I'm suggesting to bring food along with you.

Honestly, though, I would seriously re-evaluate the schedule. :grouphug: That sounds like a lot of crazy rushing around that nobody is enjoying.

:iagree:

Wow, scouts on Sunday afternoon? That is a new one for me.

Spaghetti pre-made and set on low on the crockpot as you head to church in the am (or any noodle dish.)

Sandwiches (still better than fast food.)

Can you attend an earlier service on Sun?

Dawn

In that situation I'd probably shoot for eating lunch in the car, then having a simple meal ready to heat up when we got home.

With only 10 minutes to eat once you get home, I would pack a cooler and let them eat on the way home from church. Rushing through meals is not a healthy thing.

You could also mix in hot foods from a thermos. My daughter takes hot lunch to school every day and I send hot food in a single serving thermos. It's not as piping hot as pulling it out of the oven but it's been fine. Spaghetti, pasta, soup, leftovers, sandwich filling, etc. work well.

She also likes walking tacos with cold taco meat.

I agree with the idea of packing a picnic lunch in a cooler and eating while traveling home from church. Make it simple- sandwiches and a piece of fresh fruit. How long is your actual travel time?

During your ten minutes at home, throw something for your evening meal into the crockpot. With a little prep work on Saturday you can have it all ready so that you just dump whatever it is into the crock and turn it on.

The uniforms are actually scouts. Because hubby and I are both leaders/volunteers, we are obligated. We have no options on the date, as hubby's work schedule dictates that too.

Church time includes the travel time. Hubby, for the first time ever, really really wants to start attending the Bible studies AND main church. I'm trying to accommodate this, because he really feels like he NEEDS it. If you knew hubby, you'd know this is a big deal.

But combining this AND scout activities is becoming a challenge.

We do have breaks in the scouts, and I do give snacks to the kids. Usually pretzles, granola, fruit, etc...

I love these ideas. I need to get organized for weekend meals. last minute planning is killing us.

Is it just DH that is doing both Bible studies and church? Is the Bible study after church? Can you take two cars so he can come home after the Bible study and you can get the rest of the family ready and fed in good time? Then he can grab something fast when he gets in before everyone has to leave.

Look, if it were me, we'd drop scouts. But if you really want to do all those things on Sundays, then you've just got to plan ahead for the food. That's the only way, for me at least, that I'd enjoy the day and the busyness. If I just let things slide, then I'd feel rushed, not to mention guilty for not providing good meals, and therefore I wouldn't enjoy the activities as much, because I'd be viewing them an inconvenience instead of a fun activity.

I'd have something ready to stick in the crock pot in the morning, which would be dinner. Something your family likes that will do good cooking all day on low. Prepare whatever you need to go with it on Saturday evening and refrigerate that. Then you've got dinner covered after 10 minutes of prep when you get home.

For lunch, I'd do as others suggest and pack a cooler. Have the kids and you eat on the way home, then have their uniforms all laid out and ready to change into (get it all ready the night before). Then let dh eat when you get home; leave his lunch in the fridge at home. He shouldn't be eating while driving; too distracting. Since you ate with the kids in the car, you can supervise the 'getting on of the uniforms' while dh eats his lunch. That's what I'd probably do, at least.

Sounds like you just need to plan ahead on Saturday, and then your Sunday will go smoother, and therefore more enjoyable. I don't know how many kids you have or their ages, but I'd even consider packing a separate cooler for everyone, that way each person can have easy access to getting their own food on the way home, and you don't end up spending the entire car ride passing out food, opening things, etc, instead of eating your own lunch. Us moms know how that goes... :D

:iagree: And bring along the kids' uniforms to change into at the church. Eat your picnic food and head out to the games/events for the afternoon. This is how we survived baseball season here for years.

For dinner, I would suggest this site:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

She has terrific crock pot recipes. You could put those in on Sunday mornng before church and come home to pot roast, chili, shredded beef burritos, ribs, meatloaf.... yum! These recipes are really easy, too.

ETA: oops - seems like we ALL like crockpot365!

Does your church or where you have the scout meetings have a microwave or kitchen that you may use? If so, just take something that you can reheat that way. A lasagna one week, chicken another, and so on. If they have a stove, take some soup and a pot for a warm meal. Or look for ways to jazz up those sandwiches to say Subway standards so they aren't the same old stuff. Include things like nuts that will help sustain you for long periods.

Stuff that's easy to eat in the car but nutritious:

• Apple slices with peanut butter. (preslice apples and bring small paper plates. Put a blop of PB on each plate. Hard-boiled eggs.
  • Beef jerky (if sodium is not an issue for anyone in your family.)
  • Nuts: peanuts, walnuts, cashews, pistachios, almonds--very good for you. Filling plus good fat.
  • Fruits: bananas, clementines, apples, grapes
  • Dried fruit: raisins, apricots, cranberries, cherries, etc.
  • Baby carrots or sliced veges. Hummus could be doled out the same way as peanut butter is and would also stick pretty well on a plate. I'd be afraid of ranch dressing in a car spilling.
  • Bread, crackers, some types of dried cereals (Cheerios, small shredded wheats, etc. can be eaten with fingers)
  • Trail mix: dried fruit, nuts, cereal, a tiny bit of chocolate for fun (M&Ms are best if it

might get hot)

Except for hard-boiled eggs and hummus and cut veges, none of the above needs refrigeration, so you could make do with a small, insulated lunch sack instead of a larger cooler.

I'm with other folks who've suggested packing something to bring with you, rather than going home.

If it were me (and I'm NOT one of the folks suggesting your kids quit their activities, because we often have an equally crazy schedule), I'd feed the kids a good breakfast before leaving the house. I'd also plan for and prep a dinner that can be pulled together quickly later that evening. Something in the crock pot? Something that just has to be warmed? Around here, it would be something like channa masala in the crock pot, basmati in the rice cooker, chutneys that can be pulled from the 'fridge, papadam that just has to be quickly fried. Or maybe black bean tacos, for which I could chop all the veggies and have the black beans simmer in the crock pot.

I'd make sure everyone had uniforms and supplies for the afternoon packed and in the car. I'd bring food with us to eat between church and the activities and have the kids change in bathrooms wherever you'll be or even (if they are young enough or don't mind) in the car. For us, a picnic-style lunch might be whole wheat rolls, hummus, fruit and maybe some chips. Or baked potatoes (wrapped in foil and stashed in a cooler) with assorted toppings would be good.

I definitely wouldn't try to get home for lunch.

Many great ideas here. The one thing I would add is that whether you eat from the cooler or at home, pick 2 or 3 easy meal ideas and rotate them. Don't try to come up with something new repeatedly. That way you could either make and freeze a huge batch of something 3 times and have it ready to go on a rotating basis for several Sundays.

Also, how about wearing the Scout uniforms to church (for the kids anyway).

Have you considered packing lunch in a cooler on Saturday night (cold fried chicken, salads, sandwiches, fresh fruit, hummus and pretzels, etc.) and having the kids wear their scouting uniforms to church? You can go straight from church to scouts with no need to even stop home. And when you get home at 6:00 a soup or roast is ready for you in the crockpot, of course. :D

I hear you. This is what we do for Sunday lunches, particularly in the summer. Cheese and meat tray (I'll pick out a couple nice chunks of cheese from Sam's Club, summer sausage or something like that), various vegetables (celery, carrots, tomatoes, etc - whatever we have) with ranch dressing, hummus and pita chips. Everything can be put together on Saturday and just pulled out of the fridge when you get home.

In the winter we're more likely to have soup & bread or crackers.