Menu

Preschooler's Homemade Lunch Gets Replaced with Cafeteria Nuggets

I hope this hasn't already been posted, but I read this today and was glad AGAIN that I have the ability and means to homeschool.

http://myfox8.com/2012/02/14/nc-preschooler-fed-nuggets-because-packed-lunch-wasnt-healthy/

What does everyone else think of this?

Sorry about the link! Thanks to those who posted working ones!

Edited by Dustybug
fixed the link

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the story at another link. http://myfox8.com/2012/02/14/nc-preschooler-fed-nuggets-because-packed-lunch-wasnt-healthy/

I still can't figure out what was missing in her lunch!

1 "meat" (protein) = turkey in her sandwich

1 "milk" (dairy) = cheese on her sandwich

2 fruit/veg = 1 banana and 1 apple juice (okay - the juice is a stretch, but when I was on WIC it counted)

1 grain = bread on her sandwich

Did they not count the apple juice?

Either way... gov't is overstepping its bounds. Again. The whole situation is twisted and stupid.

http://www.carolinajournal.com/exclusives/homemade-lunch-replaced-with-cafeteria-nuggets.html

While the mother and grandmother thought the potato chips and lack of vegetable were what disqualified the lunch, a spokeswoman for the Division of Child Development said that should not have been a problem.

“With a turkey sandwich, that covers your protein, your grain, and if it had cheese on it, that’s the dairy,” said Jani Kozlowski, the fiscal and statutory policy manager for the division. “It sounds like the lunch itself would’ve met all of the standard.” The lunch has to include a fruit or vegetable, but not both, she said.

There are no clear restrictions about what additional items — like potato chips — can be included in preschoolers’ lunch boxes.

Here's the story at another link. http://myfox8.com/2012/02/14/nc-preschooler-fed-nuggets-because-packed-lunch-wasnt-healthy/

2 fruit/veg = 1 banana and 1 apple juice (okay - the juice is a stretch, but when I was on WIC it counted)

Either way... gov't is overstepping its bounds. Again. The whole situation is twisted and stupid.

:iagree:

This is soooooo infuriating. There are so many issues with this: first the mother knew what her child would eat and therefore actually ingest the most nutrition. Then you have the food allergy issue. Plus, no one has the right to inspect a lunch a parent makes for their child.

I would probably be the parent that got their kid's lunch confiscated everyday because we shoot for Paleo around here so their would be no grains in my kid's lunches. We do not follow USDA recommendations for our nutrition and I do not believe their recommendations are what is best for my family.

I am so glad that I am able to hs. But, I also have to say that when you give your kids up to a government institution, you lose so much control. It isn't fair, but it is true. I am blessed that I don't have to and I pray that blessing lasts.

The thing that really gets my goat is that they are charging the parent for the food THEY decided to force on the child. What in the world?

Crazy. Just crazy.

I do not see what the issue is.....

don't you understand school officials know better than you? After all the school officials are hired by the state, they have a degree in education or nutrition. You gave them your children and you should be happy; after all what are you but merely a parent?

Send your kids to PS, there the children will probably not receive an education, will almost certainly be taught that your values are archaic and to be ignored and now the children learn that the parent is incapable of making a lunch or even worse not allowed to decide what the child eats.

What is the issue? This is the natural consequence of ceding parental rights.

The chickens have come home to roost, this is what so many parents asked for,

Edited by pqr

I didn't read the whole article but read enough to know that the state government and the school are WAY overstepping their jurisdiction. ESPECIALLY when they substitute chicken nuggets (most likely made of processed, chopped, pureed, formed-again chicken with unhealthy breading, then fried) for an actual turkey sandwich! REALLY? Who do these people think they are??

I didn't read the whole article but read enough to know that the state government and the school are WAY overstepping their jurisdiction. ESPECIALLY when they substitute chicken nuggets (most likely made of processed, chopped, pureed, formed-again chicken with unhealthy breading, then fried) for an actual turkey sandwich! REALLY? Who do these people think they are??

They are over the line because they substituted ANYTHING. They are not the parents.

They are over the line because they substituted ANYTHING. They are not the parents.

What about a child who brings a lunchbox full of candy and the teacher takes it away and makes them buy a school lunch? The child was a little older, but I saw this happen when I was in the third grade. I think that's the kind of thing that started this law. Like most things, the school districts carry things to extremes.

But there are times when a parent is not sending remotely healthy lunches. I briefly taught at a private school and I did ask a parent to send something other than oreo cookies for lunch! That was all she was sent and all she ate. I did not see that it was affecting her positively.

I never threw her food away or suggested oreos not be sent. But I did ask her dad to send more and other items that would feed her brain. (I think both parents worked in the medical field, by the way.) I think they just did it because they thought she'd eat it and not complain but honestly she looked sick of them.

So yes, I do think there is a role for suggestions. Some people just don't know what's healthy. But if that's the case there should be education not this nonsense and certainly not withgarbage food.

This kind of thing really gets me angry and reinforces my decision to homeschool. I really cannot believe they are inspecting children's lunch boxes! Send your kids to PS and give up the right to decide what they eat! If I wanted my kid to have hershey bars and coke for lunch it is not up to them to decide for me what is okay for MY child to eat (not that I would allow that).

They tell you what to dress your kids in, what to send them to eat, what kind of backpack to put their books in, what to kind of pencils to use....and the list goes on and on.

Maybe I have an issue with authority but gee whiz! I birthed these kids and I will make decisions as I see fit. Public schools are WAY overstepping their bounds!

What about a child who brings a lunchbox full of candy and the teacher takes it away and makes them buy a school lunch? The child was a little older, but I saw this happen when I was in the third grade. I think that's the kind of thing that started this law. Like most things, the school districts carry things to extremes.

A teacher might take the candy away (for the duration of school day and/or until the parents are contacted) but one cannot MAKE a child buy a school lunch. A quick phone call to the parents about any candy should answer any questions. If a parent gives a child candy for lunch that is a very poor choice but it is NOT the school's decision to countermand the parents.

Yes I understand that there may be behavior issues related to sugar intake and those need be addressed but this was not the case in the article.

It is the standard arrogance that seems endemic in the ps system. It seems that ps officials forget who they are and more importantly who the are NOT.

But there are times when a parent is not sending remotely healthy lunches. I briefly taught at a private school and I did ask a parent to send something other than oreo cookies for lunch! That was all she was sent and all she ate. I did not see that it was affecting her positively.

I never threw her food away or suggested oreos not be sent. But I did ask her dad to send more and other items that would feed her brain. (I think both parents worked in the medical field, by the way.) I think they just did it because they thought she'd eat it and not complain but honestly she looked sick of them.

So yes, I do think there is a role for suggestions. Some people just don't know what's healthy. But if that's the case there should be education not this nonsense and certainly not withgarbage food.

:iagree: I've had the *exact* same experience, Stripe. Down to the Oreos. Okay, they did mix it up with other cookies, IIRC.

This is part of why I feel like very small schools that are really communities are the only way some of these things can work. In a huge school where there's some random cafeteria worker checking unnamed kid's lunches and enforcing her own power trip of what should count as healthy then that's a recipe for disaster. In a small community where the teachers are the one that sees the kid, sees the lunch and know the parents already then there's a basis to go and say, hey, you're not sending enough food, enough nutritional food, enough variety, etc. in a gentle and meaningful way.

don't you understand school officials know better than you? After all the school officials are hired by the state, they have a degree in education or nutrition. You gave them your children and you should be happy; after all what are you but merely a parent?

Send your kids to PS, there the children will probably not receive an education, will almost certainly be taught that your values are archaic and to be ignored and now the children learn that the parent is incapable of making a lunch or even worse not allowed to decide what the child eats.

Exactly!

Chicken nuggets are not food. They are floor sweepings.

If they had a problem with that lunch they'd have a field day with my kids' lunch boxes - dairy free, gluten free, nut free, largely grain free / mostly paleo foods... I hate to think what they'd want them to eat.

My dd's kindergarten teacher refused to allow her to eat a cookie I'd packed in her lunch once, because she claimed it was junk food and an "extra" that dd didn't deserve because she'd been talking during the silent period at the beginning of lunch. :glare:

It was, FTR, a high-fiber, flax, oatmeal, and cranberry laden cookie made with whole wheat flour for my chronically constipated daughter. I had it out with the teacher, but she refused to admit she'd done anything wrong. She claimed she had no way of making it fair that dd could have her cookie and another kid would be denied Oreos. Seriously.

This is soooooo infuriating. There are so many issues with this: first the mother knew what her child would eat and therefore actually ingest the most nutrition. Then you have the food allergy issue. Plus, no one has the right to inspect a lunch a parent makes for their child.

I would probably be the parent that got their kid's lunch confiscated everyday because we shoot for Paleo around here so their would be no grains in my kid's lunches. We do not follow USDA recommendations for our nutrition and I do not believe their recommendations are what is best for my family.

I am so glad that I am able to hs. But, I also have to say that when you give your kids up to a government institution, you lose so much control. It isn't fair, but it is true. I am blessed that I don't have to and I pray that blessing lasts.

I strongly, strongly agree with all of this, esp. the bolded.

I had no idea there were places where the policy was to check student lunches for nutritional completeness and substitute/supplement. :confused: They can't possibly have enough qualified people on hand to do that (obvioisly not given this article).

Since the school was supposedly found to be incorrectly implementing the rule, maybe the mom should charge the school for the cost of her food that they threw away! :)

Brenda

I have many, many opinions about the article, but to spare you all, LOL, let me just say that OVER MY DEAD BODY would that school EVER see the $1.25 for that 'lunch' from me. Not to mention, they very likely would recieve a bill for the lunch *I* had packed that THEY threw away.

So blessed to homeschool...

I have many, many opinions about the article, but to spare you all, LOL, let me just say that OVER MY DEAD BODY would that school EVER see the $1.25 for that 'lunch' from me. Not to mention, they very likely would recieve a bill for the lunch *I* had packed that THEY threw away.

So blessed to homeschool...

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree: NO WAY would I have paid for that "lunch!"

I get what you are saying and yet, I am depressed that there are people out there who walk among us that think government chicken nuggets are superior in nutrition then turkey and a banana.

I find it sad that packed lunches are being brought to the standards of an organization that qualifies ketchup as a vegetable.

Okay, maybe I'm the only one who thinks this, but calling ketchup a veggie is the same as calling applesauce a fruit, imho. If there's enough ketchup (not that you'd need enough to make a whole serving) I don't have a problem with that counting. A better example is tomato sauce on pizza (again, if the volume was enough) or spaghetti sauce.

Since the school was supposedly found to be incorrectly implementing the rule, maybe the mom should charge the school for the cost of her food that they threw away! :)

Brenda

:lol: LOVE it!

Okay, maybe I'm the only one who thinks this, but calling ketchup a veggie is the same as calling applesauce a fruit, imho.

But there's so little to ketchup. Real applesauce, especially if it's homemade, is mostly apples. You eat ketchup in a tiny squirt and applesauce in a big cup.:confused: I feel like there's a big difference there.

Of course, prepacked applesauce in little cups is mostly junk. Even the peaches in juice in a cup has a good bit of preservatives, as I understand it. Most canned fruit is going to be not that great and only borderline healthy.

But digging through kids lunches and charging parents money is not the way to teach that. Good grief.

But there's so little to ketchup. Real applesauce, especially if it's homemade, is mostly apples. You eat ketchup in a tiny squirt and applesauce in a big cup.:confused: I feel like there's a big difference there.

Of course, prepacked applesauce in little cups is mostly junk. Even the peaches in juice in a cup has a good bit of preservatives, as I understand it. Most canned fruit is going to be not that great and only borderline healthy.

But digging through kids lunches and charging parents money is not the way to teach that. Good grief.

I did say in the sentence after the one you quoted that it only should count if there was enough of it, which there rarely is.

I get what you are saying and yet, I am depressed that there are people out there who walk among us that think government chicken nuggets are superior in nutrition then turkey and a banana.

I agree with you, but frankly the nutritional issues are secondary. Base stupidity among ps officials is nothing new.

At what point do people say ENOUGH!!!!!?

Edited by pqr

:iagree:

They SEARCHED the kids' lunches to make sure they met guidelines?!?! :eek::svengo:

If I wasn't homeschooling, this would surely be the last straw!