Menu

Do I need to change, or is this greener-grass syndrome?

HejKatt

I lurk on these boards a lot, and enjoy reading about the different activities - notebooking, models, outdoor nature study. Some of these are ideas I would never have come up with, so it's been wonderful to glean from the collective wisdom.

What baffles me is that I never seem to quite incorporate any lasting change. Learning at our house consists of:

1. Check the schedule to see which of the 3Rs we are working on

2. Pick up the corresponding text/materials

3. Work a chapter (or longer if DS begs for more - rare :glare:), while juggling DD who wants to be held, or wants me to read a book.

4. Repeat to end of schedule, then set DS off to play while I read to/play with DD.

It works - I'm happy with the progress made by my DS. But in the meantime, I look at all the beautiful timelines, notebooks, nature study collections and wonder if I'm depriving my dc.

Do I need to let go of some "school-at-home" paradigm? If the child is learning, how do you decide to add or change/mix things up?

I deal with the same thing. What I *think* I should be doing vrs. what is actually humanly possible with three young ones and a household/garden/finances/job/volunteer work to manage are two entirely different things. Not having that perspective for a long time almost pushed me over the edge (mentally, physically, emotionally.) There is ALWAYS someone out there doing a better project than you, logging more hours. But they are failing to mention they are also dropping speed and lying through their teeth. OK, maybe they aren't, but I tell myself that to make myself feel better. Don't think about it too hard or you will drive yourself crazy. Like me. :tongue_smilie:

Thank you for the responses!

kalliemorgan - You picked up on something I didn't mention but is relevant: I work part-time, so that squeezes the time. But I don't have 3 young ones, or even try to keep up with a garden and housework so I actually have hearty admiration for your family. :001_smile:

ktgrok - let's see if I understand you correctly. You have maps, timelines in the lesson plan, but the two days/month are for dc to work more on those (or whatever projects that couldn't fit)? That's a neat idea.

pitterpatter - I like your suggestion of adding-on once a week, it's do-able. Your dd is close in age to mine, do you have any suggestions of what she likes? I think I need a nudge to think out-of-the-box here.

We do school six days a week here. Mon-Fri is more of the regular (albeit still fun I like to think) stuff, reading, writing, math etc. Saturdays is our activity day. It usually happens that its something science or history related. But I can see me saving Saturdays for things like timelines and nature studies as my girls get a bit older.

A Saturday activity might be 20 minutes or end up taking the whole day.

Yes, I feel the same. I am still trying to figure it out. this past 'year' I did just the basics with the 3 littles. MP Kinder plans helped me to see it does not have to be so heavy handed and stressful for the little ones. Yours it a bit older but you could try maybe squeezing in a reading from a history book or science book once or twice a week maybe as a bedtime story.

We do school six days a week here. Mon-Fri is more of the regular (albeit still fun I like to think) stuff, reading, writing, math etc. Saturdays is our activity day. It usually happens that its something science or history related. But I can see me saving Saturdays for things like timelines and nature studies as my girls get a bit older.

A Saturday activity might be 20 minutes or end up taking the whole day.

This sounds similar to what we do.

My oldest is the same age as yours. At this age, I want to make sure we are hitting the three Rs. It sounds like those things are consistently getting done. Everything else you might make it to (even if it's just reading a history-ish library book) is gravy.

I agree. I would also add in plenty of good books to read aloud and plenty of play time.

Don't get caught up in the comparison merry-go-round. Don't get caught up in the grass-is-greener thinking, either.

Thank you for the suggestions! Poke Salad Annie - I like your phrase "comparison merry-go-round".

I'm going to try a medley of these ideas - a Saturday project which may springboard from some History/Science theme.

Oh, and I'll stay off the merry-go-round (although I can't resist noting that the dc in your blogs always look motivated and happy, could you please tell me your secret. :D ).

Thank you for the responses!

ktgrok - let's see if I understand you correctly. You have maps, timelines in the lesson plan, but the two days/month are for dc to work more on those (or whatever projects that couldn't fit)? That's a neat idea.

Exactly. I use the maps from SOTW, or others. I downloaded the timeline figures from the hannah's helps yahoo group. And I bought a book of time from somewhere, I forget where. So we paste the pictures into the book once every two weeks and talk about them a bit. That's all. And he does maps either every week or every other week, depending on what we are studying, on Fridays.

We too, do school 6 days a week. That's the three R's, which takes us about 45-1 hour. My big girls are 4 and 6, so PreK and 1st grade.

We've recently started "Fun Fridays" where after we do our seat work, we do any projects we want to get to. I felt much like you do, that everyday was mundane and I was never quite getting to all those fun Homeschool ideas. One of the reasons we Homeschool is to do all those really cool things, so I definitely wanted to make the effort.

Usually we have one science experiment or activity and one history project. A lot of our science is discovery based, so I can set them up with their materials and let them figure things out on their own. If one subject, (science or history) has a really involved activity, I'll try to find a simpler one for the other subject. So, for instance, the day we set up a salon and mixed and created a bunch of messy potions in the bathroom, we only made a simple paper game for history lol.

I also have the girls plan dinner that night, everything from looking up a recipe, checking the pantry, making a grocery list, and sticking to a budget. They get $10 to spend on the ingredients for dinner, and anything left over is used for a dessert. They've quickly learned to take stock of the freezer and pantry for as many ingredients as possible! They are responsible for meal prep and cooking, with help of course, but they do most of it. This is definitely reading (the recipe), writing (the grocery list) and math (budget and measuring)!!!

During the babys nap, I set up a tea party for them and we listen to classical music and I read a little about the composer. I also read a poem to them at that time.

Art study also happens on Friday. We look at a big book of art, read a little about the particular work of art, and the artist, and then they get to try that medium. We've done painting, oil pastels, charcoal pencils, colored pencils, and are planning on doing sculpting soon. I try to splurge a little on quality art supplies, they are put away and they have to have mom help them get it out.

Another thing we try to do is have dh take them at some point to play a longer board game, like Monopoly, that we just can't get to during the week.

About once a month, we do a fun family field trip-to a Birds of Prey sanctuary, a working farm, the aquarium, ect. Since Friday is typically a day that dh is off, it really helps with going places or setting up messy or involved projects. He can wrangle the toddler for me lol.;)

Yes...to everything that people have said.

Lapbooks and nature study take time and energy. The three Rs are the main things right now, but what you might want to do is take a week off from them and incorporate them into a week of lap-book and / or nature study, once every six weeks or so. Just create a different focus for a week--get easy readers on nature or a fill-in-the-blank lap book kit for your child to fill out and have him using the three r skills in a different context.

definitely DON'T compare. A friend of mine who has seven kids once told me that if you have one really good day of school a week (i.e. all the other days in your opinion are "flops") at this early stage, then it has been a good week. All of her kids are exiting the next now and all of them can read, write, do math, hold down a job, go to college...amazing. You have to be at peace with what you know is best to do in your own home. Little kids need lots of love, lots of snuggles, lots of books and stories and games. have fun.

I think 5 and even younger is wonderful for nature study. Not timelines and note-booking, but nature study? Absolutely!

I wouldn't do a formal nature study with a 5yo. I would (and do) spend time outside with my kids and help them discover the natural world. Ask open-ended questions, point things out, draw connections, follow their interests. This is a wonderful time to engage their curriosity and have fun outside. Hang a bird feeder, catch frogs, follow ant trails. Look for animal tracks, watch the squirrels, pick dandelions. My kids spent tons of time outside, and they love learning about nature. A formal nature study seemed too stilted for us.

I wouldn't do a formal nature study with a 5yo. I would (and do) spend time outside with my kids and help them discover the natural world. Ask open-ended questions, point things out, draw connections, follow their interests. This is a wonderful time to engage their curriosity and have fun outside. Hang a bird feeder, catch frogs, follow ant trails. Look for animal tracks, watch the squirrels, pick dandelions. My kids spent tons of time outside, and they love learning about nature. A formal nature study seemed too stilted for us.

:confused: Isn't what you are doing age appropriate nature study? What is "formal" nature study? :confused:

I wanted to thank everyone for the additional ideas (s/o gentlemommy for the detailed description) and feedback! It is reassuring to hear your experiences, and be reminded to be patient.

About nature study - I must admit I've viewed all the CM/nature study threads on this forum with awe. I think I started too 'formal' - bring a notebook, go make a bark rubbing, now let's sketch this tree - and the dc were not interested. They are interested in picking up random leaves, cones and other bits but catalog and learn about them? Nah. :tongue_smilie:

About nature study - I must admit I've viewed all the CM/nature study threads on this forum with awe. I think I started too 'formal' - bring a notebook, go make a bark rubbing, now let's sketch this tree - and the dc were not interested. They are interested in picking up random leaves, cones and other bits but catalog and learn about them? Nah. :tongue_smilie:

At young ages CM recommended ideas such as visiting a certain tree in different seasons to see how it changes. She didn't have them cataloging at 5. ;) Sounds like you're on the right track.

:confused: Isn't what you are doing age appropriate nature study? What is "formal" nature study? :confused:

:lol: This is "formal" nature study:

I think I started too 'formal' - bring a notebook, go make a bark rubbing, now let's sketch this tree - and the dc were not interested.

"Formal" nature study, to me, is when the parent decides what the kid will do. That works well at older ages, but at 5yo, I think nature study should be child-led and parent-nurtured. It shouldn't involve paper or pencils. It should involve getting dirty, touching, smelling, and seeing.

FWIW, I came up with this perspective after having gone through a couple 5yos. :D The formal approach bombed.

They are interested in picking up random leaves, cones and other bits

This is perfect! Pick up the leaves and cones. Make a collection. At some point, mention that xx leaf comes from a xx tree. Compare the leaves in the collection to see similarities and differences. Notice the color of the leaves at different times of the year. Notice when the leaves bud, bloom, and fall. Notice what happens to the leaves after they are on the ground all winter. Don't organize the collection or catalog it UNLESS your child wants to.

Don't do this all at one time. Let your child make a collection over a few days or weeks. Let him/her sort it and resort it. Mention your comments in passing to spark interest rather than to lecture. Let your dc "catch" an interest in nature.

Don't organize the collection or catalog it UNLESS your child wants to.

Aww.. How am I going to document this in our homeschool portfolio? I'll just have a soggy pile of leaves and sticks in my backyard! (Ducks to avoid incoming shower of cones and sticks). :D

Seriously, 2squared and Hilltop Academy, thank you for clarifying what nature study should look like. I re-read CM's volume 1 the other day, when she gave an example of children excitedly exploring and reporting back to their mother about what they saw (plum trees, a beehive, etc). Then the mother went on to do "word pictures" - closing her eyes and describing the scene, a marvel of memory and narration. My family isn't even there yet, but maybe it's time I got out of the way. :)

If you do need to document, you can take photos. We had a good book called something like Exploring Nature with Children (can't recall exact title, I think author's first name is Joseph last maybe Cornell or some such...) We started at Waldorf, which did very little academically in early stages (I think too little actually), but it is easy to also err on the side of too much. I am impressed by how much you are doing. Mandarin! Wow. We have simply not been able to do a language other than English as yet.

If you do need to document, you can take photos. We had a good book called something like Exploring Nature with Children.

Thank you for the book recommendation, Pen! You were spot-on about the author's name - using those search terms, I found this.

http://www.amazon.com/Sharing-Nature-Children-20th-Anniversary/dp/1883220734/

About Mandarin, cultural heritage is our motivation - sometimes I wonder how we would look if we didn't have it in the mix, because it isn't the easiest language to learn and it requires so much memorization. I appreciate the kind words though!

Ask yourself this question: Would I trade these:

I look at all the beautiful timelines, notebooks, nature study collections and wonder if I'm depriving my dc.

for this:

It works - I'm happy with the progress made by my DS.

and this:

I read to/play with DD.

It sounds to me like what you are doing is working for you and your family. Add things in here & there to change things up if you like--but only if it doesn't interfere with the above 2 things. OR...only if it ADDS to the above two things.

I generally don't change what's not broken. But I do change things up if I get in a slump.

Merry :-)

Edited by MerryAtHope

Great advice so far, just adding--

Please save yourself from lapbooks. For the love of all that is good.:tongue_smilie:

I have nothing against lapbooks, honestly, but I have been the victim of that same desire to do "fun stuff" with my kids, and 5 is just too young, IMO, to get anything out of lapbooks except for scissors practice. I ended up doing all the cutting, writing and gluing while ds wandered off for some impromptu nature study. He learned nothing, I was frustrated and felt like a failure. Lapbooks are upper grammmar and logic stage tools IMO. Same goes for timelines. (I am of course guessing that your children are not extremely precocious and are not already reading and writing by themselves. If that is the case, just ignore me.)

On another note, playing in the creek is nature study.:D And collecting horrible, horrible things (cicada shells, snake skins, particularly interesting bits of dirt and flat, dried up dead frogs.) That is what nature study should be at this age--direct contact with nature. If you turn it into a school project all the joy will go out of it. (Ask me how I know.) Mine have learned more from dh taking them out to hunt worms and crayfish than from any number of formal studies I have inflicted on them.

If you look at my siggie, you'll see my oldest is 8. I am no expert, but I am just coming out of the place you are at with yours and I have 2 more coming up. I know the pressure to have some kind of pretty evidence that you are teaching and they are learning. Do your basics and go play in the mud and it will be ok.

We too, do school 6 days a week. That's the three R's, which takes us about 45-1 hour. My big girls are 4 and 6, so PreK and 1st grade.

We've recently started "Fun Fridays" where after we do our seat work, we do any projects we want to get to. I felt much like you do, that everyday was mundane and I was never quite getting to all those fun Homeschool ideas. One of the reasons we Homeschool is to do all those really cool things, so I definitely wanted to make the effort.

Usually we have one science experiment or activity and one history project. A lot of our science is discovery based, so I can set them up with their materials and let them figure things out on their own. If one subject, (science or history) has a really involved activity, I'll try to find a simpler one for the other subject. So, for instance, the day we set up a salon and mixed and created a bunch of messy potions in the bathroom, we only made a simple paper game for history lol.

I also have the girls plan dinner that night, everything from looking up a recipe, checking the pantry, making a grocery list, and sticking to a budget. They get $10 to spend on the ingredients for dinner, and anything left over is used for a dessert. They've quickly learned to take stock of the freezer and pantry for as many ingredients as possible! They are responsible for meal prep and cooking, with help of course, but they do most of it. This is definitely reading (the recipe), writing (the grocery list) and math (budget and measuring)!!!

During the babys nap, I set up a tea party for them and we listen to classical music and I read a little about the composer. I also read a poem to them at that time.

Art study also happens on Friday. We look at a big book of art, read a little about the particular work of art, and the artist, and then they get to try that medium. We've done painting, oil pastels, charcoal pencils, colored pencils, and are planning on doing sculpting soon. I try to splurge a little on quality art supplies, they are put away and they have to have mom help them get it out.

Another thing we try to do is have dh take them at some point to play a longer board game, like Monopoly, that we just can't get to during the week.

About once a month, we do a fun family field trip-to a Birds of Prey sanctuary, a working farm, the aquarium, ect. Since Friday is typically a day that dh is off, it really helps with going places or setting up messy or involved projects. He can wrangle the toddler for me lol.;)

Can I come to your house?:D You have lovely ideas! Thank you!

I generally don't change what's not broken. But I do change things up if I get in a slump.

Merry, I read your blog - you make wise points. Thank you!

Please save yourself from lapbooks. For the love of all that is good.:tongue_smilie:

upredonmommy - thank you for your honesty. Yes, my situation would probably mirror yours. I'll remember your advice!

Can I come to your house?:D You have lovely ideas! Thank you!

That makes the two of us! Gentlemommy, are you ready? :001_smile: