Menu

Is there any way to tell if a cat has been spayed

A cat came to live with us a few weeks before Christmas. I think she belonged to a couple who separated and moved out. I don't know if they left her behind or she wandered back here. Anyway, she has a friend who has been hanging around this past few days, male cat from the quick under tail glance I got and he has a deep boy cat voice and a boy cat face. He seems very keen to follow her around and sit outside waiting for her. She has shown no signs of being in heat; I had many cats as a kid and also have 3 unspayed female dogs (and 2 male) but I am obviously freaking out and have the poor cat under house arrest. My mother's cat is spayed and male cats still come around the house. Is there anyway a vet can tell if a cat has been spayed?

According to this a vet can tell easier than someone else if she's been spayed but even then the scar might be hard to see. You would do well to take her to a vet anyway to make sure she is up on shots - esp. if she is allowed outside at times.

Thanks for the link. I have had a couple of failed attempts at looking for a scar since she came to us.:tongue_smilie:

It's really hard if not impossible to tell. My vet (who spays all the feral cats who live around my house for me for free) puts a little tattoo of green ink along the spay scar so if the cat makes its way to another vet someday, the tattoo should still be visible even if the scar isn't. If the cat was spayed as a kitten, she would have healed with almost no scar.

I always thought an unspayed cat was either perpetually in heat, or pregnant. If you've had her this long without her coming into heat, she is probably spayed. Probably.

(That's been my experience anyway. :tongue_smilie:)

That's what my mother said too. Lets hope so, but until "Smoky Joe" clears off, Mog is grounded.:lol:

Also, she had been living with her original owners for who knows how long. All I know is she was fully grown last summer when I was chasing her everyday for pooping in my flower beds. Oh, the irony.:lol: I can't imagine her owners would have not spayed her. They looked like very efficient people.;)

It's really hard if not impossible to tell. My vet (who spays all the feral cats who live around my house for me for free) puts a little tattoo of green ink along the spay scar so if the cat makes its way to another vet someday, the tattoo should still be visible even if the scar isn't. If the cat was spayed as a kitten, she would have healed with almost no scar.

Yes, how old is the kitten. My youngest two, (close to two years) have the green tatoo on their abdomens to indicate that they have been spayed