Menu

Looking for thrifty ideas for Tall Men's clothing...

Hubby is 6'5, ds16 is 6'6 and ds14 is 6'2 and growing. There are three more boys all destined for massive height behind my first two, and I'm thinking we're going to have to break the bank to clothe them all. Where and how do you find your best deals on tall men's clothing? I've shopped at Kohl's, JCPenney, Lands' End, LLBean, Big and Tall Fashions for Less (which still costs more than Kohl's and Penny's).

One caveat. I don't want to sew. My mom is willing to hem pants and shorts, and when my older son said he can't find shorts with a long enough inseam (12 inches isn't long enough for a pair of basketball shorts to hit his knee) a friend suggested cutting off regular men's basketball pants and hemming them to be longer. Haven't tried this yet, but it's a possibility.) Anyhow, that's about the only sewing we'll be doing. I also don't have time (and rarely have any luck) finding tall mens clothing in very good shape or selection at thrift shops. I have shopped ebay on occasion.

ETA: shoes are a problem, too. Ds16 wears a size 16. You don't exactly find those on discount very often, and I have to order them online because stores don't carry sizes that big.

Here are the places I shop- JCPenney ( sales only and the online clearance is normally very good), Big and Tall store ( again only the sales and clearance), and Cabelas. They are fantastic for dress shirts and work shirts. Very inexpensive and looks like new even when washed weekly. I have to find long sleeves, long length and a large neck and these are the few places that have all three.

:bigear: :lurk5: My 11 year old son is wearing a men's size 14 shoe and we have been told to expect him to be inthe 6'5-6'8 range. Finding extra large sized socks is our biggest problem at the moment. We aren't having the clothing problem as of yet (he is only 5'5 right now) but I see it coming. Someone locally told me that she has had success buying directly from shoe factories the larger sizes, particularly one in Memphis - but I know nothing more as we were interrupted and I never got to ask specifics.:glare:

My brother wears big men's clothing and I can sometimes find it at a store called 1/2 of 1/2, and have occassionally seen tall men's items, but it is random when it is available and you have to be able to make some repairs as the clothing usually has something wrong with it (they buy store returns and resell them).

My DH is 6'7" (and skinny), so I feel your pain. I have occasionally found good deals on jeans in his size at TJ Maxx & Marshall's (sometimes even on clearance)--I buy everything I can get my hands on if I see it in the store and just save them until he needs new ones. Once or twice, I've been lucky enough to find XL Tall sweaters and polo shirts on clearance at an Eddie Bauer outlet. Otherwise, I usually shop online to get things in Tall; besides the places you listed, I've been able to find clothes online at Gap and Eddie Bauer. At least men's pant sizes are based on actual measurements and there's less of an issue with vanity sizing, so that makes online shopping easier.

I have been able to find tall tee shirts at finishline which also sells shoes. Sometimes they are 4/$20 at the holidays they were 5/$20. The shipping is high unless you are buying shoes too. JCP is the only place I have been able to find dress clothes. Years ago Sears had a good selection.

Hubby is 6'5, ds16 is 6'6 and ds14 is 6'2 and growing. There are three more boys all destined for massive height behind my first two, and I'm thinking we're going to have to break the bank to clothe them all. Where and how do you find your best deals on tall men's clothing? I've shopped at Kohl's, JCPenney, Lands' End, LLBean, Big and Tall Fashions for Less (which still costs more than Kohl's and Penny's).

ETA: shoes are a problem, too. Ds16 wears a size 16. You don't exactly find those on discount very often, and I have to order them online because stores don't carry sizes that big.

:bigear: :lurk5: My 11 year old son is wearing a men's size 14 shoe and we have been told to expect him to be inthe 6'5-6'8 range. Finding extra large sized socks is our biggest problem at the moment. We aren't having the clothing problem as of yet (he is only 5'5 right now) but I see it coming.
Wow! Lots of tall ones!

And 5'5" and already wearing a size 14?! Hopefully he grows into his feet, and they don't continue growing! :001_smile:

Aside from what's already been mentioned have you tried Aeropostale? I noticed some Tall jeans there I believe. It depends on their size, and Aero. would be for thinner people. Usually younger ones that are growing up quickly are on the thinner side...

:bigear: :lurk5: My 11 year old son is wearing a men's size 14 shoe and we have been told to expect him to be inthe 6'5-6'8 range. Finding extra large sized socks is our biggest problem at the moment. We aren't having the clothing problem as of yet (he is only 5'5 right now) but I see it coming. Someone locally told me that she has had success buying directly from shoe factories the larger sizes, particularly one in Memphis - but I know nothing more as we were interrupted and I never got to ask specifics.:glare:

My brother wears big men's clothing and I can sometimes find it at a store called 1/2 of 1/2, and have occassionally seen tall men's items, but it is random when it is available and you have to be able to make some repairs as the clothing usually has something wrong with it (they buy store returns and resell them).

New Balance is/used to sell buy the case. My FIL orders a case every once in awhile. He is a runner and goes through shoes. He orders a large size and extra wide widths. I have no idea if he has ordered in awhile but try them.

New Balance is/used to sell buy the case. My FIL orders a case every once in awhile. He is a runner and goes through shoes. He orders a large size and extra wide widths. I have no idea if he has ordered in awhile but try them.

My hubby is 6'4" and wears a size 14 shoe...DS is following in his footsteps. :)

Didn't know that New Balance sold things by the case...but around here New Balance has a "Tent Sale" every year. We buy 2 - 3 pairs/person (enough to get everyone through until the next sale) and I pay no more than $15/pair!!

As far as clothing goes, we're pretty limited on where we shop just because we're out in the boonies. I shop JCP, LL Bean, Lands End and sometimes KMart/Sears.

Dh is 6'8" and Ds is 6'2" at 15yo. Dh usually buys from Eddie Bauer, Land's End, Cabela's since he needs "dress casual" work cloths. We try to hit the sales online, but sometimes it just does not work.

Ds has the problem that his inseam is 36" but his waist is 31. JCPenney has been the absolute best for him. I also found some great cargo pants at Old Navy online in their tall section.

Good luck. It is hard. The tall items always seem to cost more even if you can find what you are looking for.

I have a 15 yo, 6'2", size 14 shoe. We have had some luck at our local thrift shops and at Plato's closet. When that fails, we've had luck at American Eagle and Abercrombie.

This year, I bit the bullet and went to Men's Wearhouse and bought him a suit. We went when they had buy one get one free sales, so my dh got a suit too. But, they also got two shirts each, wallets, socks, sweaters etc, etc, etc. We ended up spending $1000. BUT, that suit can be altered as many times as we need. We have two more boys. I think we'll get our money's worth!!!

Does this happen regularly??? We went to FL a couple weeks ago. Ds15 tried on his shirts from last summer and they just didn't fit! He was wearing them just a couple months ago!!!! What the heck?! In two months?!

Does this happen regularly??? We went to FL a couple weeks ago. Ds15 tried on his shirts from last summer and they just didn't fit! He was wearing them just a couple months ago!!!! What the heck?! In two months?!

I don't have a 15yo, but my 11 yr old was wearing size 12 shoes at CThanksgiving and is now in a 14. Makes my head spin at times.

If there are any "western wear" type stores like Sheplers near you, they often have lots of jeans in very long lengths. I think they're made to wear with tall boots, but they are great with flat shoes for my very tall husband.

We don't have much luck with the "big and tall" stores, because he's tall but thin. Apparently they expect everyone to be big in both dimensions-- we need a "big and/or tall" store...

My son is 6'2" and you would not believe where we have found the best deals: the CHILDREN'S DEPARTMENT at Nordies. The clothes fit like a dream, and they are a lot cheaper than the adult versions. This works as long as the kid is skinny. Probably not for the men. But I got it on the lowdown from a sales guy in the menswear department that he buys all his clothes in the kids section--because he is tall and skinny and it is so much cheaper.
My ds18 is 6'2" and skinny. I'm going to have to try this...thank you! :001_smile: