Menu

MFW Year two with SOTW 1

joyfulhomeschooler

My children will be in 3rd & 5th when we do year two of MFW and we own SOTW 1. We haven't used it and plan on using something different next year. I don't want it going to waste so I was thinking of adding it into year two of MFW. What do you all think about this? I know it isn't included in the MFW world package even though SOTW 2 and so on are. Not sure why this is.

Do you think a 5th grader would be too old for SOTW 1 with the activity guide?

Do you think it would be easy enough to fit it in time wise?

I'm doing CtG right now, and I think unless you cut out most of the scheduled readings and all of the scheduled hands-on projects, it would be very difficult to fit in SoTW 1 alongside CtG. Maybe, since Fridays are very light, you could do a chapter of SoTW on Fridays, and a project or a notebook page or something. Maybe, if you just want to use it as a read-aloud, it would be fine, but if you're also going to try to do the AG projects...I don't know. We're not overwhelmed with work in CtG, but I don't think we'd be able to fit SoTW in with it. Not comfortably, anyway.

I like SoTW, and I think it would be great for a book basket addition, or a read-aloud, or something like that, but I think adding in the AG would just push it over the ege - unless, as I said, you eliminated the hands-on stuff already scheduled. But we have really been enjoying the ones in the CtG TM so far - very doable, fun, etc.

I'm only a few weeks in to CtG, so hopefully someone with more experience will chime in for you. Also, I have a TERRIBLE headcold, so I may just be incoherent - sorry! Feel free to ask for clarification.

:)

I'm doing CtG right now, and I think unless you cut out most of the scheduled readings and all of the scheduled hands-on projects, it would be very difficult to fit in SoTW 1 alongside CtG. Maybe, since Fridays are very light, you could do a chapter of SoTW on Fridays, and a project or a notebook page or something. Maybe, if you just want to use it as a read-aloud, it would be fine, but if you're also going to try to do the AG projects...I don't know. We're not overwhelmed with work in CtG, but I don't think we'd be able to fit SoTW in with it. Not comfortably, anyway.

I like SoTW, and I think it would be great for a book basket addition, or a read-aloud, or something like that, but I think adding in the AG would just push it over the ege - unless, as I said, you eliminated the hands-on stuff already scheduled. But we have really been enjoying the ones in the CtG TM so far - very doable, fun, etc.

I'm only a few weeks in to CtG, so hopefully someone with more experience will chime in for you. Also, I have a TERRIBLE headcold, so I may just be incoherent - sorry! Feel free to ask for clarification.

:)

Thanks! This is exactly what I was wondering. Maybe we could do it on Friday's as you said and then finish it as a fun summer project or something. I just hate to see it go to waste.

• 2 weeks later...
I know it isn't included in the MFW world package even though SOTW 2 and so on are. Not sure why this is.

I just noticed this question and thought I could help. The MFW website has this in their FAQ because I suppose it's a.... frequently asked question, eh :001_smile:

For the time period of Creation to the Greeks we believe the most accurate and ancient "original document" is the Bible. God gave us a great history book that is full of action, intrigue, motives both good and evil, and His interpretation of events and people. We want to lay a foundation for kids to see God at work in history so that they can study further history with a correct perspective. The Bible is used as the main history spine for the entire year with other books supplementing as needed. We want kids to hear God's incredible words to mankind.

Most of the information in Story to the World Vol. 1 is contained in other books that we use in Creation to the Greeks, so it is not necessary for this year. The following years of the history cycle use Story of the World Vol. 2 - 4, as we think the author has a wonderful storytelling style that makes history come alive.

I agree SOTW could easily be in the book basket for a 5th grader who likes history. My son was in 4th during CTG and he mostly liked funny books and books with pictures -- what can I say, he's a youngest child :tongue_smilie:

Someone borrowed me the SOTW Activity Book during CTG and I copied a few maps which were pretty but I decided using the ancient lands map in CTG consistently for each location was helping my son to "get" where we were talking about. He didn't like coloring so we didn't use those pages in the Activity Book. Some of the activities sounded fun but really we were doing a lot in the CTG manual. That's about all I remember and I hope it's correct, since it was quite a while ago for us.

HTH,

Julie