Menu

Tilapia--who do I make this?

We like ours with a citrus sauce (lemon/lime juice and a bit of olive oil. or lemon pepper). We usually do rice noodles or regular noodles (like angel hair) and some light veggies, like corn or something also with a spicy/sweet sauce.

DH does the fish, just cooks it in a pan till it flakes with a fork.

Anything you'd do with catfish you can do with Tilapia.

One thing (though it's more summery) that I've done is put it in a foil packet with lemon, butter, basil, tomatoes and zucchini and cook it. It cooks really fast (you can do it on the grill or on a sheet in the oven). And then you just add some bread or some rice and it's a meal.

You can also bread and fry it... but, um, that's obviously not the most healthy thing.

I got this from an old LLL cookbook and it is a family favorite. We make it 2 - 3 times a month. - works with any whitefish ...

Baked Fish from Turning Island

1 1/2 - 2 lbs fish fillets

1 tbsp minced onion

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1/2 tsp. marjoram

1/2 tsp. dry mustard

1 tbsp. lemon juice

dash pepper

paprika

Place fish in oiled baking dish. Mix rest of ingredients except paprika. Spread over fish. Bake at 450 degrees for 17 - 20 minutes, until browned and fish flakes easily. Sprinkle with paprika.

We make tilapia with a spice rub and paprika-cilantro butter. It's amazing. I can post the recipe if you like.

The actual cooking happens on the stove - spray the tilapia with non-stick oil spray, cook on each side for about 3 minutes or until the fish flakes. I'm sure you could use something else besides non-stick oil spray if you wanted.

Anything you'd do with catfish you can do with Tilapia.

One thing (though it's more summery) that I've done is put it in a foil packet with lemon, butter, basil, tomatoes and zucchini and cook it. It cooks really fast (you can do it on the grill or on a sheet in the oven). And then you just add some bread or some rice and it's a meal.

You can also bread and fry it... but, um, that's obviously not the most healthy thing.

This is one of our favorite ways to cook it, though we use parchment paper instead of foil. Each person makes their own from a variety of veggie/topping options, so everyone is happy with dinner for once.

Also, I like to do a light Caribbean style marinade, broil, and cut the fillets up to use in fish tacos. Delicious!