Menu

Have yoy ever put chicken amd dymplings in the crock pot?

Yesterday I made a whole chicken in the crock pot, I have cleaned the carcass and made broth from it and put almost enough chicken in the fridge for C&Ds. That is the dinner pkan for tonight, but I teach dance until 8:30. I want to make the food at lunch, eat some, and put it in the crock pot on warm until time for the kids to eat. Will c&d keep in the crock pot???? Or will the dumplings turn gross???

So you want to keep it in the crock pot on the keep warm setting from approximately noon until dinner time? Five hours? No. That's not food safe. Your crock pot owner manual should list the max time to use the warm setting, I would bet it's not longer than 2 hours.

If you are actually cooking the food on the low or high setting, 5 hours would be fine. But not set on warm. That temperature is too low.

I cook them from raw dough in the crockpot-but if they are already cooked, leaving them on low that long will just cause them to soak up literally all of the broth making them huge and chewy. It will be like a blob if dough. Would it be possible for you to eat something else for lunch and just put them in raw on low?

Ideally, I would cook them in the crock pot, but I did not know if they would cook that way, I can always just throw a lunch portion in a pot for me, the chicken is cooked, just needs reheating.

For me, there is no lunch option :) I am craving Dumplings for breakfast actually ;)

Ideally, I would cook them in the crock pot, but I did not know if they would cook that way, I can always just throw a lunch portion in a pot for me, the chicken is cooked, just needs reheating.

For me, there is no lunch option :) I am craving Dumplings for breakfast actually ;)

I've made chicken and dumplings in the crock pot. The recipe I used had the chicken part cook for 5 hours, and then the dumplings were added during the last 30 minutes of cooking.

In that situation, I'd just make biscuits to go with your crockpot chicken and sauce. If your family likes slippery dumplings it might work, but I can't imagine a dumpling staying fluffy that long because they cook so fast.

You could do dumplings for yourself and leave biscuits for anyone who eats later.

I've made chicken and dumplings in the crock pot. The recipe I used had the chicken part cook for 5 hours, and then the dumplings were added during the last 30 minutes of cooking.

This is what I do, too. I cook the chicken/gravy part on low for 6-8 hours, then turn it up to high and add the dumplings about 45 min before we want to eat.

I don't think keeping chicken and dumplings on warm in a crockpot for several hours is a good idea, either for taste or safety.

Oh - awesome idea - a lunch portion for yourself in a separate pot. With all the chicken and dumpling powers vested in me, I hereby order you to eat some for lunch. See now, you have no choice. :lol:

Tip for cooking from raw - when you get home, the dumplings will have all risen to the top and stuck together. All you have to do is break them up - I use two meat forks to just separate them a little and stir in.

Scratch that plan!! I cooked my chicken carcass on low all night, cooled it enough to handle amd was straining the bones out....I got the bones out and had a large container of delicous smelling, beautiful chicken stock....as I was putting the lid ob, my three year old bumped me and the broth spilled!!! At least it was in the sink! There is enough broth for my lunch, but I will have to buy more broth to make soup for the family.....spaghetti and meatballs tonight.

I wanted to cry! It was so much broth!!!!

Scratch that plan!! I cooked my chicken carcass on low all night, cooled it enough to handle amd was straining the bones out....I got the bones out and had a large container of delicous smelling, beautiful chicken stock....as I was putting the lid ob, my three year old bumped me and the broth spilled!!! At least it was in the sink! There is enough broth for my lunch, but I will have to buy more broth to make soup for the family.....spaghetti and meatballs tonight.

I wanted to cry! It was so much broth!!!!

THAT is heartbreaking. It reminds me of a story I once read where the woman made wonderful stock and accidentally drained it into the sink. Her cry of ""My broth!" became a family expression whenever someone made a sad mistake.

It was the first time I had made homemade broth....it smelled amazing!!! I don't know that I even want to smell the canned stuff again :( It had beautiful color and I was so wxcited to eat it!! I will be making a personal pan of Dumplings....I had to put it off until tomorrow. I was too sad!