Menu

Turning a breech baby?

I'm almost 31 weeks, and right now the baby is in the breech position. My midwife says there is still plenty of time for baby to turn, but I just thought I'd see if anyone out there has any experience with this. If so, how far along were you when your baby turned? And what technique(s) did you use? Do you think they were helpful or do you think he/she would have turned anyway?

Sorry for all of the questions...this is my 4th baby, but we've never had one in the breech position this far along. We're doing a homebirth and really want to avoid the hospital. My midwife says I'd be a good candidate for a breech birth if it comes down to that, because my previous labors were all 3-5 hours, but of course I'd prefer to birth the baby head-down if possible. :001_smile:

I'm almost 31 weeks, and right now the baby is in the breech position. My midwife says there is still plenty of time for baby to turn, but I just thought I'd see if anyone out there has any experience with this. If so, how far along were you when your baby turned? And what technique(s) did you use? Do you think they were helpful or do you think he/she would have turned anyway?

Sorry for all of the questions...this is my 4th baby, but we've never had one in the breech position this far along. We're doing a homebirth and really want to avoid the hospital. My midwife says I'd be a good candidate for a breech birth if it comes down to that, because my previous labors were all 3-5 hours, but of course I'd prefer to birth the baby head-down if possible. :001_smile:

Eh, you are way too early to be worried about breech, especially with this being your fourth. First babies are usually head down by week 36. Multiple babies can keep turning right up to labor, and sometimes even during labor.

FWIW, I have one singleton, and he was breech until week 32. I wouldn't have worried though, until about week 35 or 36 though.

I agree that a) it's *way* too early to be even remotely concerned, but b) Spinning Babies is a *great* resource and it will only do you good to follow their recommendations. So while you should *not* "worry" at this point, I would go ahead and start following their suggestions for gentle exercises and positions that can help ease baby into the best position for birth.

Is there a chiro in your area certified in the Webster technique for turning breech babies? It has a very high success rate.

I had several breech/transverse till very late in the game. The chiro turned them. And it was painless. In fact, less than painless. Being adjusted made me feel all around wonderful.

I used a midwife too- and home birthed 2 of my 7. Btw, my last one was breech, then turned transverse, then headdown at the very end.

My backwards baby did turn in time. He turned before I went into natural labor but AFTER my projected due date. I was emotionally prepared to wait for natural labor past that due date and I had a doc lined up with experience delivering a vaginal breech. It seems that most women in that position go with the c-section.

My son was a 9 lb baby and his delivery went very well. No stitches or anything.

With my first, I think I was 36 or 37 weeks when he finally turned. It was very close to when my mw was going to try a version, I know that. I did pelvic tilt exercises with him.

With my 3rd, he was transverse until quite a ways along, maybe 35 or 36 weeks. After I had the stomach flu, he turned. My mw said it was the leaning over the bucket and the heaving creating space enough for him to turn. LOL, I know that's gross.

You have plenty of time for your baby to turn. Don't worry!

Thanks everybody...I feel a lot better! This is just new territory for me. This baby moves around A LOT (must be a lot of room in there from previous pregnancies). :)

Thanks for all of the resources. I see in a few places to not ever start the exercises till 32-33 weeks, so I still have time. I just checked and I guess I was 31 weeks yesterday. I just didn't want to wait too long, as baby #3 came at 37 weeks, and I worry about this one coming a bit sooner or something.

Edited by funschooler5

My second pregnancy was breech and the consultant tried to manually turn the baby at 34 weeks - unsuccessfully. My boy was born bottom first and it was a good labour - Thank God. I had a super midwife!

I really believe he was breech because I was doing a lot of squats!

I wonder if that is my problem? I've been doing a ton of squats because I read it was good for delivery. When my midwife saw that the baby was breech she told me to stop doing them, I think because it might help the baby stay in its current position.

My fourth kept switching positions on us until labor. She did finally go head down and she was a homebirth.

Does your midwife have experience with breech birth? IF it comes to that, you want to have complete confidence in her ability. (Mine was the go-to person in our area for breech and twin homebirths.)

From what I understand she's attended a few, but she's also a fairly new midwife (about 6-7 years). She seems confident in this area, and I trust her.