Menu

MUS Primer vs. MCP K?

CatholicMom

When my boys were younger I used MCP Math for K. Now that my boys have used MUS alpha, beta, & gamma, I'm thinking of trying Primer with my daughter (who is turning 5). But I have the fear of the unknown and haven't found any helpful reviews specifically of Primer.

Has anyone used it, or know of some helpful reviews? I'm wondering if it's as bare-bones and pictureless as the rest of the MUS books?

If it is, I might do MCP only for K because I don't want to bore dd to death quite yet. :D This will be her FIRST math book, so I want to keep it somewhat visually appealing.

Thoughts? Comparisons?

I haven't looked at MCP, but I love MUS Primer. It isn't colorful, but for counting there are various interesting shapes (after finishing the page, I let my son color them). I'd say it's not quite as bare as Alpha, but it's not snazzy either.

However, there are blocks and there is a video. My second son was thrilled to get to watch his own "real" math lesson on the computer, too. And Primer is a fabulous foundation for Alpha.

Thanks! That is basically what I wanted to know. I wasn't sure if I should expect it to look like a "level before alpha" or if it would be very different in the way it looks or works since it's a pre-1 "level."

Thanks for the info. I did find a sample of a primer lesson on MathUSee.com (duh- I'm sure I looked there before) and it looks like what you described.:)