Menu

Who's with me on homeschooling cheaply for 2012-2013?

momto2Cs

Eh, we're doing Classical Conversations again next year, and this year was our first year homeschooling, so I don't have many resources. I'm sure I'm going to spend about $1,100 to $1,200 altogether. Although I've trying to earn some paypal money from swagbucks, and I'd use that for purchases from CBD.com. That could save me some money.

We're going to try and be as frugal as possible. I'm due in April with child #4, and my son will be beginning K... My daughter will hopefully finish up her 1st grade stuff over the summer and will be doing 2nd grade work.

I already have Math Mammoth for her (I will probably have this printed and bound at Staples or somewhere, though), and I will probably purchase the next year's materials from Growing With Grammar (all 3 of their resources for writing/spelling/grammar). I'm hoping to have finished OPGTR with her by then (we've been going through it VERY slowly and are almost done...), so no reading lessons. We will probably still have some WWE for her to finish. We purchased BFSU and I have SOTW and MOH to thumb through and decide on. We have Mark Kistler lessons for art, and I drop them off at a gymnastics homeschool day at least once a week. There are online resources we can use, too, that are free for supplementing...

For my K-er, I plan on continuing with OPGTR and using workbooks I already have for other subjects. He loves "doing school". I have his handwriting workbook somewhere that we should really get back into and I could always print out more practice. He's working on Reading Eggs and I plan on getting him back into Starfall. I may gently begin Math Mammoth 1 with him like I did with my DD - VERY low pressure, just a few problems every few days to work on upcoming concepts. MEP would be another thought.

We have lots of learning games that I should be utilizing (and it may be easier as my 2yo DS gets a little older - he'll be 3 in Sept.) and we are involved with a homeschool playgroup. I'm thinking about NOT joining a co-op next year. We never did it this year and I kind of like the flexibility and loose schedule of just doing instruction at home!

I have slowly purchased used copies of nearly everything I need for next year(and the next 3 years!!) I only need to purchase my SM wkbks. I have history, science, grammar, spelling, and lit covered for less than $100 for the year, it may even he less than $75.

Looks like I'll be joining you over here - I found out Monday that my position at work had been eliminated, effective immediately, in a cost-cutting move. On the plus side, it leaves me more time with my family, so well worth it!

I bought a bunch of Intellego unit studies in the currclick sale (we love them and have learned a lot from the ones we've done) for a total cost of $56 for a year's worth of history, literature and science. Amazing!

I will buy Teaching Textbooks, still, but I'll try to find them secondhand this time (anyone want to sell their TT5 & 6?) I already have 8 million read-alouds and readers, grammar, writing, art supplies, French, and Latin, so other than printer ink I think we can get away with under $200 for two kids.

Now if I could only slash our grocery costs like that! :)

I always like the idea of spending less, but I wasn't sure how to until I read this thread!

Now I'm looking at the Baldwin Project, KISS Grammar, MEP math (as a supplement), doing WWE2 on my own (gasp!) with the help of the instructors' manual from the library. Maybe I will use The Story of Mankind with the SOTW AG?

So many possibilities...

I'll end up buying things for the next year instead. That's why it's so cheap this year--I keep buying ahead!! Sometime this year I'll end up buying the next science because it looks great. I'll find the next AAS used randomly. I'll grab the next Miquon, gather up what I've already bought for that grade earlier (MCT, SOTW, etc), and be back here again next year saying I'm only spending a little bit on the next Beast Academy, and then I'll start buying for the next year out, LOL.

You get to stay if you bought it used. :)

Yay! It's used!

Oh, one 'trick' I've used is to look at the book selections on sites like Yesterday's Classics and Ambleside Online to see what the book is about and what ages, and then find out if the book can be read for free on The Baldwin Project or from google ebookstore.....we have found some really good books that way. Wish I were rich!

Not me. I have found that when I try to do things on the cheap, I end up with a hodge podge of things that I can never pull together correctly then I just want to give up. For me, materials that are laid out and scheduled for me means that school gets done everyday. That is worth the $$$$ I spend each year. I am sure at some point I will spend less as I begin reusing items for the youngest 2 children.

:iagree: This is how I feel. I know others are great at pulling things together and saving money... I commend you! But I know I'm setting our homeschool up for failure if I try to piece things together.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we should be able to buy *most* of what we need by selling this year's stuff and I buy used when I can plus use the library A LOT. I got the SOTW CDs from the library and am planning to use the the History of US from the library as well. We get most of our lit selections from the library as well. I have no interest is using only free and library materials- we do Singapore and MCT for example and I am not giving them up in the name of thrift (and feel fortunate that I don't have to).

Edited by kijipt

This has been my experience too. I wish I could be one of those people who do things cheaply. In fact next year is probably going to be our most expensive yet, since I have a dd starting high school which means I will be using two MFW programs. :tongue_smilie: But I am planning on finding as much as I can used, and utilize the library as much as possible.

Not me. I have found that when I try to do things on the cheap, I end up with a hodge podge of things that I can never pull together correctly then I just want to give up. For me, materials that are laid out and scheduled for me means that school gets done everyday. That is worth the $$$$ I spend each year. I am sure at some point I will spend less as I begin reusing items for the youngest 2 children.

• 1 month later...

I sold my Sonlight Brit Lit set, and will be using Lightning Lit Brit Lit next year ... sniff sniff ....adding in a new Wordly Wise Vocab workbook.

I already have Notgrass US Govt and Economics from my son, so no new purchase needs there ...

I bought a gently used Life of Fred Advanced Algebra set, and a gently used PAC Integrated Physics and Chemistry set. I have a buyer for our Apologia Advanced Biology set + microscope later this spring.

I think I'm going to use some of the MIT free online Open courseware theater classes for my dd next year. She loves musical theatre (was just in a 9 day run performance of Hairspray earlier this month in our city!). Still working on piecing something together. As long as she gets into another play or musical next year in the community, that, in combination with some courseware classes, I believe I can give her a full credit for Theatre.

Yep, we're doing things on the cheap next year. My hubby has only had "piecemeal work" for the next 2 1/2 years. Our finances are stretched to the max.