Menu

Who's with me on homeschooling cheaply for 2012-2013?

momto2Cs

I am really trying to watch spending on everything, including homeschooling. I think we're to the point where I have so much stuff at hand that I'll only need crayons, coloring pencils (both of which we go through like crazy), paper, and maybe new dividers. I will likely buy some composition notebooks too, which Walmart sells for 94 cents apiece. That and using the library and Netflix should cover most everything, though I am sure i will be tempted to buy some fun games and kits at some point!

Anyone else not buying curriculum materials for the upcoming fall?

I think we should be fairly good. We just started new curriculum last month. I will definitely have to add on more ETC books for the girls but they are less than 10 dollars and then we will be using library books. We just started SOTW1 in January as well... I think we should call January our reboot. We dumped all we were doing minus the girls MM workbooks, lol!

We don't spend a great deal but will definitely have to be even more careful this year. I'm not sure how yet, as I've only just started to think about it. I'm pretty much set for my 3rd grader next year as I have things from her older sister to use. If anyone has good ideas for 7th gr I'd love to hear them. I can manage history with what we have. I kind of wanted to step up science but may be ok with the online chemistry free stuff - not sure about physics - wanted to do 1 semester of each.

Well, I'm always in for a frugal year. :)

My expenses since January, for the rest of this year, and for the coming school year are as follows:

* 25 cents-- Modern Biology (Moon, Mann, Otto)---It is an old high school text, but will prompt plenty of discussion. I love the project suggestions and discussion questions.

* 25 cents-- Modern Chemistry (Dull, Metcalfe, Williams)--Another old hs text, but again, a super resource with vocab words, discussion questions, problems to work and experiments.

* ~$6--The Wonders of Physics (Irving Adler) -- This book was mentioned on a physics discussion forum as a wonderful beginner text for middle school physics. Can't beat that recommendation!

* $4--The Golden Treasury of Myths and Legends (White/Provensen) --A beautifully illustrated book and a treasure!

* $5--Dolciani Pre-Algebra (New Edition) 1977--- A wonderful book to slowly wet our feet with in the journey to algebra.

* $5--How to Solve Word Problems in Algebra (Mildred Johnson)--A great help for finding our way.

* 25 cents--General Business (Crabbe, Enterline, and DeBrum) 1961 --Oh, won't we have some great discussions from this one! There are great math problems, vocabulary, and questions for discussion.

So far, that's all I have. I've spent almost $21, which is not bad, I think. ;)

Editing to add....

We will continue with MEP and KISS Grammar. Two more things I did spend a tiny bit of money for are a Warriner's Grammar Second Course (25 cents) and The Giant Golden Book of Mathematics (50 cents). I doubt I will spend more for Latin this year, as I have on hand Latin For Americans to use when we are through with our current selections. And I guess that puts me up to $22 for the year.

Edited by Poke Salad Annie

We have a lot already as well. We will be doing-

Miquon-we have it, I got four of the workbooks free at a curriculum fair years ago, and I bought the other two used (not written in) for $2.

MEP-free

BFSU-have it, bought the PDFs for $5

SOTW-have it, bought all four at a used curriculum fair

MOH-have volumes 1 & 2, bought those a few years ago.

TWRTR-have it, one books covers years worth of phonics instruction, and these are found on amazon pretty cheap used.

FLL- bought used for this year.

WWE-I just bought the teachers guide, not the big workbooks. I apply the method to our history readings.

Art/picture study-found an awesome book this year for $13, it should take us year to get through it.

Poetry-plenty of books on that around here.

Handwriting- we do copywork and MIL just brought me Abigail packet of nice handwriting paper, so I'm set there.

I'll have to buy ETC workbooks, should be under $15 for the year.

Debating on getting the SOTW AG...if I find it used for a great price I will, otherwise I'll skip it.

I have to buy a few more living books for history. I did get some awesome ones from a used book store, but I think I'd like just a couple more...maybe $20? I'd love to find the D'Aulaire Greek myths book, if not, I can read them from the computer.

As for school supplies, I think we are set. Maybe some quality art supplies for our picture study, but we can make do with what we have if there aren't enough funds.

Debating on continuing with AAS. We love it, but just trying to be mindful of our money. I will buy only the instructors guide if I can find it used.

Edited by Gentlemommy

I'v eread through the book Homeschool Your Child For Free and do use some online resources. I've played with the idea if I could do a whole year with just the cost of printer ink and paper and what I could find at local consignment shops and library book sale. I just ordered a lot and have everything I would need for my Kinder. But I do have to buy the next levels of some of our favorite books for my oldest next year.

So I *know* I could probably easily not buy anything new and just use free online and used books and library---and I want to give it a try. But we've become really attached to a few of our books. But i am all for homeschooling on the cheap. I make use of the free stuff online as much as possible. I've only just discovered MEP and I'll use that coupled with SM essential for my Kinder. I'm also going to continue with Ambleside and start Baltimore as well. I haunt consignment shops and library sales---I've got easily several 100s of children's quality picture books/stories/chapter books and I've only bought a handful of them over the years brand new.

And so yes --I do have to buy some curriculum materials (we really love Sequential Spelling for example). But my oldest is set on math and history and science. I'll only need to get spelling, grammar, and maybe some supplemental (Wordly Wise and HWT)

I am spending less in some ways, but the reality is with 2 in junior high next year there is no way for me to do it as cheap as I could with only littles, though it will be cheaper than most years. I am sticking to my funding limits next year, rather than spending over and above them out of pocket as well.

Well, I'm not in the buying-nothing camp. Sorry. It would be awesome if I felt comfortable enough with what I had to do that!!!! :thumbup1:

I'm not buying much, though.

I have all of my science for next year. RSO Life & RSO Chemistry, bought last year when it was on a big sale. So new output, $0

I have math for The Drama. I will buy the next color of Miquon (about $7) and Beast Academy (unknown) for The Sponge.

I have ETC and AAS already. I need to buy ETC 2 if I decide to keep going with that for The Drama (what, $7?). I might just use the AAS. I may need AAS 3 if The Sponge goes through all of 2, but we go slowly with it so I'm not sure. So possibly $0, possibly more (I'd buy the AAS used).

I have grammar already. English for the Thoughtful Child plus online MadLibs. $0

I'm slowly stocking up on Amanda Bennet unit studies on sale for the various countries for history/geography/writing/copywork/crafts/extra science. They are $4 when on sale and the "1-week" studies look like they will last us a month. 128 pages of stuff for a week?! That's several weeks of work for us. So, $32?

I already have our next logic books. I may get one more for The Drama since I didn't save Primarily Logic as I should have. So what, another $7 if I do that?

We will get a new toner & more paper with tax returns, though. The library has the rest of it covered, I think. :)

Edited by LittleIzumi

I'm definitely doing next year on the cheap, out of necessity. Luckily I have collected a good amount of materials over the years.

The only thing I might buy at some point is Story of the World Early Modern History books, which I'll likely need mid-year. I'm hoping to find them used at a good price. I'll purchase the tests as pdfs through Peace Hill Press. I really don't have to do this though as we have several good History books to use, so I'm not set on this.

I bought Lial's PreAlgebra used cheap, Killgallon's Middle School Grammar new, a used Harcourt Science text cheap, already have several Writing Strands books I bought used at a good price, will continue with KISS and some MEP. I did buy a book on summarizing new that I wish I hadn't, even though it will probably prove useful. I'd just rather I had spent that money better. I will probably buy GSWL as an ebook too. I love GSWS and I think ds would really enjoy GSWL.

:leaving:Umm! No I'm still trying to bring myself to actually order what I have on my wish lists.

:iagree:This was me until about 25 minutes ago. I went ahead and ordered everything BUT one book for next year! :glare: I usually enjoy this part, but it was clicking submit aftering entering debit card. *huff* & *puff*

We don't go nuts BUT we stick to what is working and don't meander around ordering things we're unsure about. We use the library ALOT more this year and plan to do next year too.

Not me. I have found that when I try to do things on the cheap, I end up with a hodge podge of things that I can never pull together correctly then I just want to give up. For me, materials that are laid out and scheduled for me means that school gets done everyday. That is worth the $$$$ I spend each year. I am sure at some point I will spend less as I begin reusing items for the youngest 2 children.

I'm trying.

MM2 - already have it $0

Elemental History PDF $15

AAS2 $30 or less if I can find used

FLL2 $10

WWE1 buying used $10

D'Nealian - got it

Art books - alreay own some and free from library

Art supply - already have tons

Science - Mr Q free life science

Read Alouds - library

Language Spanish using books I already own and library

Current total $65 for DD

I do need to find a cheap magnet board for our AAS.

DS prek will come mostly from things I already have.

They will both benefit from free reading eggs, funnix, and iPad stuff. My iPad is turning out to be the best Christmas gift for our family. Everyone uses it!

Umm not here :glare: I am actually spending the most ever.

I have to agree with this one :leaving:...My youngest will start first grade next year and we really won't be able to cut back too much until my second gets to 5th and we start reusing things...But then my oldest will be in 9th and perhaps high school will end up taking the extra dollars...

We're being a lot more careful what we spend and how we spend it. I'm relying more this year on Amazon gift cards earned online to buy materials, and really thinking before I buy things do we really need this or not.

I also sent in a request to The Book Samaritan this year, which was another first for us. The funds just weren't there to get what we needed, and they were able to help us out with part of what we needed.

This first year I bought too many things at the beginning of the year. I just got my copy of The Latin Centered Curriculum, so I am hoping to do more with less.

The Latin Centered Curriculum book $15

MM -got it last year (bundle) $0

SM 1A and 1B and IG -got it last year at used curriculum sale. $0

Elemental Science (cont.) and BFSU -got it $0

Handwriting - got free downloads from web $0

English for the Thoughful Child and Natural Speller -got both last year at used curricuclum sale.

FLL -second hand (gifted by a friend who's done with it). $0

History -stumped! I will have to buy my history material. I will try very hard to find things second-hand.

Geography Sucess Book 1 for teacher and student $25

Don't know if we are doing Latin -we'll see.

Spanish -free stuff from the Web.

Art supplies- got tons in storage.

I intend to raid gutemberg and every freebie I can find (currclick and others). I still have to pay for printing, though. I will buy second-hand from amazon (or this board) if I can.

In addition to the above I will sale the stuff I'm not using at the next used curriculum sale (in May) to recoup on some of the expenses.;)

Edited by desertmum

I bought a ton last year, and we'll be working on it well into next year. I'll probably pick up another 1/2 level of Singapore plus another workbook for my 2nd child. I may get HOD LHFHG for my 5yo, but I'm still undecided. Overall, I'm looking at a maximum of $200 for 3 kids which is pretty cheap. ;)

I have cut my homeschool budget from over $1000 each child to just over $300 for one and about $150 for the other. I did this by using things on my shelf and keeping a watch on ebay for things I know I want or will use in the future (won SL core c with LA and books for $35, BJU Geometry set for $10...things like this). The only supplies I need are art and notebooks. Everything else I have stores of from hitting $1 sales at Staples and Target.

I hope to keep costs down, but no I cannot do it for free. My likely biggest expense will be Math for ds as I do not have the next level of his program and it is going to be hard to find used(although I'm hoping). I had a lot of stuff bought ahead for this year for next hardly nothing at all, other than books. I don't think I'll need much if anything for lit, science or history between what I have, free google books and the library. Grammar will be a vintage text.

I think for dd in K I'll be buying a copybook and on phonics I'm not sure if I'll be doing vintage or buying one- it would be kind of neat to already have the lessons ready :) Right now I'm using what I used for ds but we will see how she does with it and how fast she goes.

For ds he will need his Math, Latin and Writing those 3 alone will cost about $200 new but again I'm really hoping to find used. I don't know on Religion either, I know I don't have the texts I used this year for next year but I might go a different direction. I need to do more study on that.

Edited by soror

We're using more and more free books from online sources. I did buy a used Saxon 5/4 because I just think trying to use Ray's Arithmetic is difficult and I never got into MEP. And I bought used Classical Writing Aesop (good for 2 years but I could have gone with Marcelia McKeon's Composition series from google ebookstore for free) and used Latin Prep. Extravagant, I know! I just found out about a free Yahoo group that has an old Latin book with support and lesson plans.....so I COULD be going totally free......but still we are under $100 for the next year.

We are going to be using the following:

Sewell's Language Lessons (free from google ebookstore)

Dictation Day by Day 3 (spelling, free from google ebookstore)

McGuffey's Readers (free from google ebookstore)

Free Classics online from various places for reading

We have two history streams going:

American History with the American History series by Mara Pratt read online at The Baldwin Children's project supplemented with readings online and at the library

The Story of Mankind by Van Loom online at the Baldwin Children's Project

The Story of Rome by Mary Macgregor online at the Baldwin Children's Project and various other online period-related stories

Science will be nature studies (lots of free online books) and some diluted middle school science material from CK12.org.

Art. I am pulling together material from two free books from the google ebookstore. One is 'The Home Book of Great Paintings' and the other is 'How to Show Pictures to Children'.

Music. I am planning on using 'Modern Music and Musicians' (a big misnomer, as the apparent definition of modern isn't quite what you would expect) and as we read about a composer we are listening to the music.

The K'er is making do with free worksheets from online and leftover materials from the bigs (ETC). And maybe MEP R. I have cusinaire rods, too and some Miquon stuff around. He reads CVC words, so I've been making up my own 'books' with words he reads, and we use Starfall of course! And Literactive (free reading site). He will only be 5 in March, so I am going pretty slowly and only doing what he wants to do.

Edited by Rainefox

Not me. I have found that when I try to do things on the cheap, I end up with a hodge podge of things that I can never pull together correctly then I just want to give up. For me, materials that are laid out and scheduled for me means that school gets done everyday. That is worth the $$$$ I spend each year. I am sure at some point I will spend less as I begin reusing items for the youngest 2 children.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

The first 2 years of homeschooling were so NOT worth the efforts in our home of doing it for free. It wasn't the right fit for us at all. I'm not that type of teacher. I am organized and motivated but need the materials to be well done and thorough and laid out. If I don't have this in what I teach things don't get taught.

My dh & I finally came to terms with this in our frugal minds. Now we allot a certain amount each year to go directly towards the kids school.

We still do it as frugal as we can. Purchasing used, checking out library books if we only need them for under 4 weeks instead of purchasing the books, and we reuse our school materials and don't buy new of what's not needed! Why were we buying new supplies EVERY year of EVERYTHING when the kids have 200 crayons already?? So those thoughts are now going to be in play when making our supply list. Also we don't use workbooks, we make copies and put in binders so my younger child will be able to use the workbook when they reach that grade level. However some workbooks will be used like HWOT and GEOGRAPHY. Otherwise we reuse everything.

My school tally so far this year with curriculum and school registration is at $350. We need to purchase school supplies & we're missing 1 AAS student materials packet, but otherwise that's it for 3 elementary kids. However last year I spent twice as much to outfit our school curriculum and majority of that can be handed down to my upcoming 2nd grader from my oldest child :).

Edited by mamaofblessings

I won't be but only b/c we owe taxes this year and my budget is gone to save up for that. I usually spent a lot. For next year we will be using stuff I have bought but never used over the years or reusing stuff but doing it differently for logic stage. So there is a chance I will only be buying pencils and paper for next year.

I'm going cheap because I've already bought so many things! Which were very expensive.

Just completed my series of Hakim's Story of US at the library book sale this week. I purchased the whole set (various editions) for about $10.

You got all of them for $10, impressive!

I'm in pretty good shape to not buy a lot which is good since dh is starting his own company and things may be very tight for a while.

I have to order AAS2 but I may just get the book since I don't use the cards anyway and I already have the tiles.

I already have ETC 4 and 5 (we're about to finish 3).

I have MM through 6th grade.

I have all 3 RSO, BFSU and a ton of science readers plus a really good library.

I have HWT 2nd grade book already (we're about 1/2 way through 1st grade).

I have SOTW but we are doing US History first and I have everything I need for that.

If dd starts advancing fast I may need something for her but I already have the three pre-level books for ETC, OPGTR since ds is using it and her math is a mix of MEP reception, pages from Evan-Moor Teacher's File Box and games. She is doing HWT Preschool so I might need the Kindergarten book at some point this year.

So, if I'm being good all I will buy is AAS2 book and HWT-K book.

Is the physics book anything like The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments?

No, unfortunately it is not. It is published by Golden Press, but is not similar to the chemistry book. Something that might be comparable to the Golden chemistry book could be Lancelot Hogben's The Wonderful World of Energy. It does not include experiments, but is similar in its *look*. Look for that one at your library, as it's a very old book, and on the used market might be a bit pricey.

I definitely have a lot here too, but I will be buying too.:001_smile: However, I think it will be less than in some years. I feel more focused and clear headed on what we will do and what works. I think we will spend around $100+ a little more. However, that way, I will feel a bit more free to pick up other items during the year that sound good to me.

You got all of them for $10, impressive!

It took a while! I didn't get them all at one time or in one place. But I am pleased. I left three volumes I already had on the shelf at the library book sale last Sunday when I completed my set (except for the last volume of documents).

Oh yes, on the cheap. No choice.

My dd has requested that we re-row our FIAR books so that is wonderful! No purchase there. I have found topical go-along books at the thrift for a quarter here and a quarter there.

My big expenses were:

$25 toner

$20 used, like new R&S Math 2

$35 used, like new LLATL Red

Other than that I think I have bought 2 packs of paper for printing up free books online, a pack of chalk for some of our art.

All of the above were purchased a little along as I got the money and most was paid for by sells of other books. I am sure I have missed something but it would be like 25 cents here and there.

thanks for the reminder here as I just happened to check on ds' Math Program and found one for sale for about $50 cheaper than new, now lets see if I was fast enough to get it :) I found the Latin program we're looking for as well and maybe writing as well. Luck favors the prepared :)

Eta I found and bought both the writing and Math program used today saving about 55, so I'm at at $78 and have some emails sent about the Latin program I am looking for, previously I had looked for his next math level and hadn't seen any listed at all,so this is awesome!

Edited by soror

I am spending a lot less than usual this year. I just bought my upcoming K'er Mcruffy Math used -- she wasn't feeling Singapore Earlybird, which was on my shelf. I will most likely buy Latin for Children and WWE 4 for 5th grader -- she just started her math book, so I don't foresee a need to buy a new one soon. I may buy SOTW activity guide (I have the texts) or we may just jump around with unit studies for history this year. Other than that, I am reusing/using up previously purchased (& never used) items. My 1st grader and K'er both have Reading Eggs through October; we'll see where they are before we decide to renew.

I am definitely going to have to spend less than the last few years. I need to spend about Ă‚Â£100-150 on curriculum that I know of, I need to get FLL3 among a few other things. Then a few bits of art supplies, and more paper/ink for the printer. We are doing a home made British history study this year and I have most of the books for that but I will spend money travelling.

I had planned to replace my printer and laptop this year but it's probably not going to happen. The printer has only been semi working for a while but it will print after a bit of convincing. My laptop is very old on its last legs and I have recently fixed it for the umpteenth time. It's not worth spending any more money fixing it so next time it breaks will be the end of it's life. Fingers crossed it will get me to the end of the year.

I'm spending less than I have in previous years, but not nothing.

We're at the point of being able to reuse some expensive curriculum, so my 6th and 5th graders will use an SL 6 (already own)/WTM combo. My 3rd grader will use SOTW and the AG (already own).

I have all of the Math Mammoth levels but I do want to try Beast Academy for my 3rd grader and my 6th grader will use a different math program.

I need to buy WWS and Rod and Staff English (I think), but that's not too expensive. (Relatively speaking- I had considered MCT LA but the price tag stops me because I'm tired of spending a lot of money on things that don't work out for us.) I need to buy FLL 3 too but that's also not too bad.

Science will be library books and nature study and I might find a free google book for spelling. We can come up with our own memory work.

No, unfortunately it is not. It is published by Golden Press, but is not similar to the chemistry book. Something that might be comparable to the Golden chemistry book could be Lancelot Hogben's The Wonderful World of Energy. It does not include experiments, but is similar in its *look*. Look for that one at your library, as it's a very old book, and on the used market might be a bit pricey.

I just bought a copy for $0.38 :) Thanks!

Here's my own breakdown so far...

Math: Already own Math Mammoth Blue series, and LOF Apples and Fractions. I might buy LOF Decimals/Percents, and maybe more of the elementary series, as we go. Cost: $0- about $80, depending on how many LOF books I end up buying over the year.

Language Arts: Bought the Writer's Jungle a little while ago, which should cover writing for quite some time; we do a lot of CM-type language arts. Already own several ETC books for dd8, Natural Speller for spelling, and we use the Amazing Handwriting Worksheet generator for handwriting. I also already have Funnix, ClickN' Read Phnics, and Reading Eggs at hand for dd8 (late reader), as well as lots of leveled readers. Already own GrammarLand and The Sentence Family as well. Cost: $0

Science: Already own BFSU volumes 1-2, plus both the Kingfisher and Usborne science encyclopedias. Will get everything from the library. Cost: $0

History: We're doing unit studies right now, mainly based on topics from The Dangerous Book for Boys and Daring Book for Girls, which we already own. I also already own A Little History of the World, which we'll read from once a week to get a good idea of the flow of history, and as a potential springboard for more studies. Lots of library materials again. Cost: $0

Arts: We do art and music appreciation at no cost. I do buy art supplies a few times a year, generally about $35-50 at a time, but we have lots on hand right now. I'd like to spend maybe another $50 in this category toward fall. Cost: $0-50

So, maybe $75-100 total on misc. supplies for the fall? Composition books, pencils, art supplies, I have plenty of good literature both in book form and on the Kindle already, plus we have an awesome library with a great ILL system. Definitely cheaper than years past!

I have cut my homeschool budget from over $1000 each child to just over $300 for one and about $150 for the other. I did this by using things on my shelf and keeping a watch on ebay for things I know I want or will use in the future (won SL core c with LA and books for $35, BJU Geometry set for $10...things like this). The only supplies I need are art and notebooks. Everything else I have stores of from hitting $1 sales at Staples and Target.

That's an awesome cut in expenses! I am very impressed with the prices you got on the SL stuff too!

I am really trying to watch spending on everything, including homeschooling. I think we're to the point where I have so much stuff at hand that I'll only need crayons, coloring pencils (both of which we go through like crazy), paper, and maybe new dividers. I will likely buy some composition notebooks too, which Walmart sells for 94 cents apiece. That and using the library and Netflix should cover most everything, though I am sure i will be tempted to buy some fun games and kits at some point!

Anyone else not buying curriculum materials for the upcoming fall?

I am not buying anything else...except MAYBE MCT la for my youngest and the next Life of Fred for Christmas. I will probably buy some real books at some point, but I have enough here to homeschool for the next 10 or so years....seriously.

Faithe

I wish. Science is going to be big one for us this year. I need a microscope, possibly some kits. I am also thinking about buying a curric for the first time for science as we enter the logic stage next year. With the microscope and a few books I am trying to stay around $200.

Luckily though, I have lots of things for the other subjects on hand from Rod and Staff. We have the next levels of math and most of English for both girls. I found the next level of spelling (a text finally for 6th grade spelling, yay!) used so I have that. I will have to purchase the student text for 5th grade english and the tests and speed drills that I couldn't get during their half off sale last Oct. Hopefully I can find the student book used during used sales. The tests and such I will get at convention. So I am looking at under $50 there.

I believe we have almost everything for history besides library books and a new watercolor pad for next year's timeline. I will use a 40% off Michael;s coupon for that. I will pay for ink for printing student pages from the A.G. I would also like to get my youngest a copy of the workbook, The Complete book of Maps and Geometry. I am hoping to find one at Half Price Books. Otherwise that will be $15 or so. But it does last for several years.

And latin for next year will be steep. I will only need the replacement workbook for the younger for PL, but I don't have any of First Form. I can't get out of paying that. I might be able to find a used copy of the T.M. That would help.

I would be willing to use free resources if I had to. But I do like sticking with a curriculum that is working to stay with the familiar format and scope and sequence if I can. So far I have been able to.

I've always had to be in frugal mode. Through a lovely WTMer I have a free copy of the Preparing TM for next year.(WTMers are the best!). I get most books from the library, used curriculum sale or used. I piece things together and make substitutions if needed. I will buy CLE LA and Math but they are not pricey and I can buy a few at a time if necessary. I piece together our science extras from my own ideas.

And latin for next year will be steep. I will only need the replacement workbook for the younger for PL, but I don't have any of First Form. I can't get out of paying that. I might be able to find a used copy of the T.M. That would help.

I am in the opposite boat I have LC and Henle but not PL- which I need. I did just get First Form 1 from another local HS'er for free- the manuals anyway. I seen several of the different levels on hs classifieds so perhaps you can find what you are looking for there. That is the good thing about planning ahead it gives you longer to find it used.

I went BANANAS spending money the first year (I thought the house actually had to look like a school). Each year, though, I get more savvy and in tune with what we are actually capable of using. And thank goodness we have access to a decent library. It is priceless to me!

So I figure that about the time they graduate I should have it wired pretty well.:tongue_smilie:

Well, I'll post my breakdown of plans, but I know it'll probably give me something to laugh at by next year.:001_smile:

Math: We will continue with CLE, which comes to around $35 for each child if I don't find it used. $70

Also thinking about getting Kitchen Table Math this year. (So that cost won't count toward next year.)

History: Older ds will continue with Story of the World with the tests. I already own the book, but need to buy the tests. He will also be reading Kingfisher and outlining. Already own. Will add in books. (Own or library.) Younger ds: All the books already own. $10

Science: We are enjoying Science Simplified. Books cost around $6. We will add in projects now and then. No estimate on cost, but will keep it simple. Already own some of the Science Simplified books, but may purchase one other level. Adding in living books: own or library. $6+(the + is for occasional experiments)

Literature: own and library. Cost= $0

Artist Study: Will use The Artists' Specials series plus add in more. Own books/videos plus will use library. Will probably need to spend some $$ on art supplies, but we have a lot.

Composer Study: Opal Wheeler series and The Composers' Specials. Own. Cost= $0

Spelling: Spelling City Cost= $0

Language Arts: Lively Language Lessons $0 and probably Intermediate Lang. Lessons (though I have several on my shelves to choose from;)) Total= $0

Nature Study: If I can get myself to make this happen, I have The Private Eye. Cost= $0

I like having the dc each pick a project or a subject they want to study. I do budget a bit for this. This year it cost $7.50 for one and the other has something picked out that costs $29, but I'm waiting a bit on buying. I actually would like to carry that over to next year, but ds isn't thrilled. We will see.

I feel like I am forgetting some things on this list, but it is great to see it this way. Whew.