Menu

Hand-on Equation the cheapskate way?

Halcyon

Hey all

I was thinking of downloading the Verbal Problems book and then making my own laminated board (the shipping for the board and pawns is 10 bucks, about double the cost!)--we have various colored dice up to 10, and game pieces we can use for pawns...and I can make a laminated board.

My older son can already solve basic algebra questions like 4x-9=2x+3 so I think it would be okay to move to the verbal problems books, which is a $35 download.

Thoughts on people who have used this?

After I got the starter set,I said the same thing-that if I'd just gotten the book, I could have made this myself, so I'd say "Go for it".

I also found, somewhere, worksheets online that covered much the same content as the first workbook that a teacher had made for HOE, so you might want to try googling it and see what you found.

Don't forget you can get David Tower's Intellectual Algebra free at Google books. We work these problems on the dry-erase board every night. I read the problem, and I let the little guy work them on scrap paper. I also let him work them out on the dry-erase board. We have decided to skip the HOE, as we have been setting up problems as algebraic equations since the start of MEP. I worried that the HOE might become a crutch that could prove difficult to break away from later as a transfer to paper work. YMMV.

Don't forget you can get David Tower's Intellectual Algebra free at Google books. We work these problems on the dry-erase board every night. I read the problem, and I let the little guy work them on scrap paper. I also let him work them out on the dry-erase board. We have decided to skip the HOE, as we have been setting up problems as algebraic equations since the start of MEP. I worried that the HOE might become a crutch that could prove difficult to break away from later as a transfer to paper work. YMMV.

Interesting. My son already knows how to set up algebraic equations for the most part....I am going to take a look at that book! Much appreciated :)

ETA: Is there an answer key to the book-it looks great!

Interesting. My son already knows how to set up algebraic equations for the most part....I am going to take a look at that book! Much appreciated :)

ETA: Is there an answer key to the book-it looks great!

There is an answer key, but not in the public domain that I am aware of at this time. I think it sells for ~$15 or so on the used book market.

I download many of these books from Google, as I never know when they'll be yanked from the freebies. It seems someone must be purchasing the rights to these old books and printing them at the instant print shops around the country. I guess that's when they leave the public domain access, though I have occasionally found things at archive.org that no longer show up at Google books. I wonder if the answer key would show up somewhere on the way-back machine. I haven't searched there yet, so that's a possibility. The book How to Solve Word Problems in Algebra is nice to have, and cheap on the resale market. I think I paid ~$5 or so for my copy, shipped. With the supplies you already have on hand, and a homemade balance board, you will be set for many hours of math fun!

I usually mention this book on this board, as it does show a demonstration of the scales, which gives a visual of the need for balancing the equations. Again, I think the HOE program is nice. I really just prefer to show work step by step with reasons for the work (properties, etc.)

There is an answer key, but not in the public domain that I am aware of at this time. I think it sells for ~$15 or so on the used book market.

I download many of these books from Google, as I never know when they'll be yanked from the freebies. It seems someone must be purchasing the rights to these old books and printing them at the instant print shops around the country. I guess that's when they leave the public domain access, though I have occasionally found things at archive.org that no longer show up at Google books. I wonder if the answer key would show up somewhere on the way-back machine. I haven't searched there yet, so that's a possibility. The book How to Solve Word Problems in Algebra is nice to have, and cheap on the resale market. I think I paid ~$5 or so for my copy, shipped. With the supplies you already have on hand, and a homemade balance board, you will be set for many hours of math fun!

I usually mention this book on this board, as it does show a demonstration of the scales, which gives a visual of the need for balancing the equations. Again, I think the HOE program is nice. I really just prefer to show work step by step with reasons for the work (properties, etc.)

Thanks! I'm dling the book now.

Thank you for the link to the algebra book! I like it!

Halcyon, what you are planning to do is excellent. I had no idea that there is downloadable version; otherwise, that's exactly what I would have done.

The Primary Grade Challenge Math book by Ed Zaccaro has several chapters on algebra and basic linear equations that really breaks down the problem solving steps for children in a well explained way. This might work well with an approach with a book like that mentioned by Poke Salad Annie (which I'm off to download).

Bill