Menu

Work possibility...help me sort this through.

Say you didn't need the money. As in, all of your bills get paid, needs are met, but you are on a somewhat strict budget.

Say you have the opportunity to get licensed in your field. It would take 1-2 years (about 15 mths going f.t. working hard, - it's not your dream job-and it's with a very challenging population). They'll pay for supervision. You'd earn a professional salary in a field that you're good at and enjoy. With benefits (say benefits right now are very slim and you pay out of pocket.

Once licensed you could go easily go to p.t. work, make good money, or teach, making good money.

Say your dh has a flex schedule and could cover the time, with help of older kids, for the time it would take you to get licensed.

Say, dh would appreciate sharing some of the $ responsibilty and is great at getting kids on task, would love to help with homeschooling and keeps things neat and orderly around the house.

Say you are almost 50 and this is a great opportunity and it's kind of now or never. If you don't do it now, you'll probably not get licensed and never work in the field again.

Say younger kids are NOT happy about the thought of mom not being home f.t. (we've done it before and our "help" was always an epic fail). Say you'd keep homeschooling and you know it would be 12 -15 mths of boot camp.

What would you do?

BTDT, glad I did. I had a very similar set of circumstances, and have been back at p/t work since July. I have had to learn to juggle it. My kids don't like it much because they have to do more. I appreciate the chance to get my brain out of my myopic view. I appreciate them more, and feel like I am more productive in general. It is hard, but if your dh is behind it, I would say to grab the brass ring. :)

Lisa,

I'd do it, because like you said, one thing leads to another and a short period of hard work/not-perfect-homelife will be balanced out on the other side by more choices for you and your family.

I went back to work a couple of years ago and thank goodness I did. We also could pay our bills but were on a strict budget and this has allowed my dh to relax for the first time in years, for us to have a little more fun than we previously did and for us as a couple to get closer and stronger because we were sharing more of the load.

My dh ended up taking over lots of household chores and childraising jobs while I got my feet under me in my new career. And the first not-so-hot job I picked up led to a better one, then a better one, which funded my opening my own business which is now paying enough that in a pinch, I could take on enough work to fund my family's bottom line.

My work is now flexible, at home, and perfect for me, but I would never have gotten here without taking that first not-so-hot step which barely seemed worth doing.

I would go for it.

I would do it. The kids are old enough to understand even though they won't be happy about it, and having the second income will take some stress off your dh. Also, you never know what the future may bring, and having the ability to earn a good salary would be worth 15 months of juggling to me.

FWIW, I was actually looking at programs to go back to school for a different career until we found out we're expecting a new little one. We're now reassessing as I was willing to do it with an 8yo, not so much with an infant.

Lisa,

My only question is that in 3-4 months if you decide that it isn't working out, what would you have lost if you change your mind?

Other than that consideration, you probably could guess that I would do it. It will be hard for your younger kids to adjust their thinking of your role. My youngest two still wish I would be home all the time and not work, but neither could say they've suffered any because of my work. We've all learned to be more flexible and open about school. We talk about things more, and school is a group effort here more than it was before. It is a lot harder, and I often feel like I'm doing a poor job of everything even if I truly know better.

:grouphug: Let us know what you decide.

A man from the agency just called. They are doing a 2nd interview today with someone who hasn't graduated yet so he'll call me back on Wed. I'm getting my resume more pulled together.

Do I want to do it?

I don't really want to work with this population A. It's hard work- not a lot of wins. B. It pulls on my heart strings big time. BUT, I can do it and I would be competent at it.

Other than that, I want to do it. I would love to be licensed and have more options time, money, career wise. It's been really frustrating to me NOT to be working. I read Regentrude's posts about working and keeping her sanity and have followed Karen's saga this year and sigh.

If I start and it doesn't work out in a couple months- I'm not sure. If they pay for licensure I might be in a binding contract. BUt if I could get licensed in 15 mths, that's not too long.

Maybe they'll hire someone today and it will be a moot point.

I'll let you know.

He is 45 and flies for american airlines. Well, previously he flew for the marines as a F-18 pilot. He got out of the military completely about 9 years short of retirement. At the time, the airlines were booming. About 2 years ago he was offered the opportunity to fly reserves for the marines again. We could see the financial issues of the economy and chose to have him fly for both industries.

Now American is in bankruptcy, we pray our job is secure, but we will at a minimum lose sme retirement benefits. My husband will be able to retire from the military and recoup some of those dollars. We were able to switch from their healthcare to the military's, which is much cheaper.

Consider where we could be in the future - economy-wise. Having more options is always a good thing!

Say you didn't need the money. As in, all of your bills get paid, needs are met, but you are on a somewhat strict budget.

Say you have the opportunity to get licensed in your field. It would take 1-2 years (about 15 mths going f.t. working hard, - it's not your dream job-and it's with a very challenging population). They'll pay for supervision. You'd earn a professional salary in a field that you're good at and enjoy. With benefits (say benefits right now are very slim and you pay out of pocket.

Once licensed you could go easily go to p.t. work, make good money, or teach, making good money.

Say your dh has a flex schedule and could cover the time, with help of older kids, for the time it would take you to get licensed.

Say, dh would appreciate sharing some of the $ responsibilty and is great at getting kids on task, would love to help with homeschooling and keeps things neat and orderly around the house.

Say you are almost 50 and this is a great opportunity and it's kind of now or never. If you don't do it now, you'll probably not get licensed and never work in the field again.

Say younger kids are NOT happy about the thought of mom not being home f.t. (we've done it before and our "help" was always an epic fail). Say you'd keep homeschooling and you know it would be 12 -15 mths of boot camp.

What would you do?

Go for it!!!!! You are going to turn 50 either way so you might as well turn 50 WITH the license. :D

If you do it (which seems reasonable to me), I would simply budget for things to make that time easier on everyone. Consider the extra expenses/compromises part of the investment in your future earning power.

Things like:

+ Cleaning help. At least a 1x/wk house scour, or ideally a 1-3x/wk housekeeper.

+ More take out food & pizza nights. Nutritional compromises, added expense, but sanity saver.

+ Paying someone to help with carpooling to activities if feasible/available.

+ Anything else you can easily hire out that doesn't take away from precious family time.

Also, plan to simply compromise your standards for a while on:

+ How clean the house is

+ How perfectly repaired, dressed, etc everything and everyone is

+ Curriculum choices. If you can swap a few subjects from mom/dad-intensive to DIY for the one year, that'd be a big help. Consider even dropping one subject if it is nonessential, or at least replacing hard-core curriculum with something easy and lighter.

Compromises are fine. ESPECIALLY when you realize this is a temporary investment. Sort of like the compromises you make when you are pregnant and have a newborn . . . A year in the life of a family is important, but it is not important to do EVERYTHING every year.