Menu

I am SOOOOOO happy with our new math/science tutor!

He comes on time - every single time. I do not have to e-mail him the day before to remind him that we have a scheduled appointment. I do not have to watch the clock for him to remind him when the session ends or else end up surprised by the bill.

Ds is getting so much more math and science done. This was something that I thought might be off with the last tutor but didn't know enough to be sure. Now I wonder how he could barely get through 4 problems with ds when this tutor goes over an entire chapter of math and science with ds and ds understands it and does well on his independent work at home! When I would ask the last tutor about getting through the subjects his reply was always that we couldn't hurry the process.

Today I had a talk with the new tutor about ds's goals for college (STEM major) and how to get there and was so pleased. I didn't like some of his curriculum recommendations (due to reviews from here) but he agreed with me that we will have to accelerate his math by working through the summer or he won't get through Calculus by the end of his Senior year.

:party:

Happy for you Jean!

I just wanted to comment on Calculus.

While it might be ideal for all STEM major incoming freshman to have already had calculus 1 in high school, it is not necessarily advisable in every case. I've seen a lot of high schoolers rush through algebra 1 in 8th grade in order to get to calculus as seniors and their algebra skills suffered which meant they really hit the wall in calculus. Algebra is the foundation of everything he will encounter mathematically in a STEM field. So, I vote for first worrying about algebra and make sure that the foundation is strong...he needs to be able to recall the procedures, formulas, etc. without difficulty. It should be fundamental just like basic arithmetic should be before encountering an algebra 1 text.

DD is in STEM...she only made it half-way through her calc text. Dh want to shore up a couple of areas that he thought she was not "instinctual" enough with...things that for whatever reason, didn't seem to show up in trig/pre-calc, but then she seemed unconfident when we approached calc. It could have been nerves, she had a lot on her plate at that time and was doubling up in both physics and anatomy & physiology as well as trying to work towards the 240 hrs. of "seeing practice" with a local vet that she would have needed to get into vet school at MSU which is very difficult to get into...I think she just shakes her head these days since she ended up switching to human medicine. But, we didn't know at the time. Her nerves with calculus could have been stress, but it could have also been some gap somewhere in her previous maths. We didn't know...so dh did more pre-calc and then approached the calc work very slowly.

It paid off. She was absolutely fine in calc 1 as a college freshman. She ended up with a 98% while many kids who had calc 1 in high school did poorly. Some of the kids who attempted calc 2 after high school calc 1 failed out and not for lack of trying either.

So, while I think calc 1 is the ideal goal for STEM bound high schoolers and it is very likely that two of our three boys will absolutely get through calc 1 before they graduate from homeschooling, I also do not think it is a hill to die on either. Don't sacrifice any algebra or geometry skills in the rush to make it through before final transcripts go out.

Hopefully, Regentrude, Jane in NC, Nan, etc. will see this and post.

Chances are, with a fine tutor, he'll make it through some if not all of the calc so long as the tutor is very thorough.

Congrats! It must be a weight off you to have found the right person for the job.

Faith

DD is in STEM...she only made it half-way through her calc text. Dh want to shore up a couple of areas that he thought she was not "instinctual" enough with...things that for whatever reason, didn't seem to show up in trig/pre-calc, but then she seemed unconfident when we approached calc.

I remember quite well spending a Christmas break with a trig book--this while taking Calculus. I had no trouble with trig previously but in order to stay focused on the the meat of Integral Calculus in particular, one needs to have a more instinctive understanding of trig relationships. Similarly, students who struggle in algebra (factoring, solving polynomials, graphing) have challenges with Differential Calculus.

So, while I think calc 1 is the ideal goal for STEM bound high schoolers and it is very likely that two of our three boys will absolutely get through calc 1 before they graduate from homeschooling, I also do not think it is a hill to die on either. Don't sacrifice any algebra or geometry skills in the rush to make it through before final transcripts go out.

Hopefully, Regentrude, Jane in NC, Nan, etc. will see this and post.

While there are many anecdotal tales of students who succeed in STEM majors without Calc in high school, I would suggest aiming for Calculus. College admissions can be competitive at engineering schools, for example. Having Calculus on the transcript may be necessary for some students looking for the edge.

It can be hard though to predict how much that plastic teenage brain can do. Some students who struggle with Algebra I at age 13, fly through Algebra II at age 15. Some students who fly through Algebra I get hung up on Geometry. Aim high--then be flexible. Also, for some students, AP Statistics might make more sense than Calculus while in high school.

I have a BS in Math and Comp Sci and didn't have the option to take Algebra in the 8th grade. I doubled up on Alg 1 and Geometry one year and completed Calc before college. So doubling up Geometry and either Alg 1 or Alg 2 could work well for the motivated, STEM focusing student. I got A's in math through high school and college (competitive tech program w/high drop out rate).

I remember quite well spending a Christmas break with a trig book--this while taking Calculus. I had no trouble with trig previously but in order to stay focused on the the meat of Integral Calculus in particular, one needs to have a more instinctive understanding of trig relationships. Similarly, students who struggle in algebra (factoring, solving polynomials, graphing) have challenges with Differential Calculus.

While there are many anecdotal tales of students who succeed in STEM majors without Calc in high school, I would suggest aiming for Calculus. College admissions can be competitive at engineering schools, for example. Having Calculus on the transcript may be necessary for some students looking for the edge.

It can be hard though to predict how much that plastic teenage brain can do. Some students who struggle with Algebra I at age 13, fly through Algebra II at age 15. Some students who fly through Algebra I get hung up on Geometry. Aim high--then be flexible. Also, for some students, AP Statistics might make more sense than Calculus while in high school.

Thanks Jane! I do so appreciate your imput and wisdom.

Our one "STEM" major who may not make it all the way through a calc 1 text before final transcripts is the one that won't have to have it in order to get into his program, though I sure hope he manages. He's going into Anthropology with an Archaeology emphasis and minoring in geology...so the other two are "soft sciences" as the saying goes and the minor in geology doesn't require calc 1 to enter. He can take calc 1 in college and still get into the program. However, given how competitive the merit money race is these days, I do worry about it being a nick on his resume. I was worried about it for dd three almost four years ago, but since she was originally headed to vet school she didn't have to have it, but did have to get through other things such as physics - they definitely wanted to see that - half of those 240 hrs. of seeing practice, and advanced biology/anatomy and physiology. Thankfully, she had a banging ACT math score. Then she changed to human medicine and signed up for calc 1! What's that saying??? "The best laid plans of mice and men....."

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'm happy for the OP because it means a lot when you can outsource a difficult topic and be thorougly pleased with that prospect instead of worrying over it.

Faith

Thanks Jane! I do so appreciate your imput and wisdom.

Our one "STEM" major who may not make it all the way through a calc 1 text before final transcripts is the one that won't have to have it in order to get into his program, though I sure hope he manages. He's going into Anthropology with an Archaeology emphasis and minoring in geology...so the other two are "soft sciences" as the saying goes and the minor in geology doesn't require calc 1 to enter. He can take calc 1 in college and still get into the program. However, given how competitive the merit money race is these days, I do worry about it being a nick on his resume. I was worried about it for dd three almost four years ago, but since she was originally headed to vet school she didn't have to have it, but did have to get through other things such as physics - they definitely wanted to see that - half of those 240 hrs. of seeing practice, and advanced biology/anatomy and physiology. Thankfully, she had a banging ACT math score. Then she changed to human medicine and signed up for calc 1! What's that saying??? "The best laid plans of mice and men....."

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'm happy for the OP because it means a lot when you can outsource a difficult topic and be thorougly pleased with that prospect instead of worrying over it.

Faith

My Archaeology major had AP Calc on his high school transcript. I knew my son was capable, just not particularly interested in Math so that was not our most pleasant course together. But--lo and behold--he satisfied a Quantitative requirement at his school because of his AP score. Nonetheless, he reported recently that he may take statistics before his undergrad career is over. Apparently that is one of those courses that applicants to grad school should have.

Jane (who loves Calculus but abhors statistics!!)

Jane (who loves Calculus but abhors statistics!!)

You and dh both!!!!! :D I have never taken statistics so I have no idea if I would like it. He had a class in it his senior year of college for his math major and well, he and his buddy didn't sound particularly enthused. It was a 3 credit class and he used all six of his skips without doctor's notes...plus, I think he made up some ailments and managed to fool the nurse enough to get her make the college doc write up more excuses. I've never seen someone skip so much class and get a near perfect grade! :glare:

Faith