Menu

Sewing Curriculum - Drafting a Pattern

I am wanting to teach my DD12 how to sew, but I am not looking for something to teach the basics, I am more looking for a curriculum or book that would teach a beginner to draft simple patterns. I have looked online, and I have come up with a few pattern drafting books, but I would really like something that has been tried and proven. Our first project will probably be a simple skirt, and I will teach the basics as we go along. I want to teach drafting as a part of it, mainly because patterns are so expensive, and I think it would be a cool skill to have.

For skirts, have you seen Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics ?

I recommend you try to find this oldie: Dorothy Moore's Pattern Drafting and Dressmaking. She lived in Okinawa for a while and seems to have picked up on their method.

I also have Patternless Fashions by Lewis and Loh. I made some things for my daughter from it and pajama pants for my kids. There was some seeming error but I figured it out, but it's not the clearest.

They have all sorts of things for men/women/boys/girls but some are a bit dated. But you can make many work.

In terms of something more modern, Kids' Clothes Sew Easy: Easy to Sew T-Shirts, Tracksuits, Leggings, Trousers, Shorts, Dungarees, Anoraks, Skirts and Dresses by Rene Burgh is OOP but can be found. It's only for kids. It starts everything with a sloper and you alter from there, instead of directly drafting the pattern.

For skirts, have you seen Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics ?

I recommend you try to find this oldie: Dorothy Moore's Pattern Drafting and Dressmaking. She lived in Okinawa for a while and seems to have picked up on their method.

I also have Patternless Fashions by Lewis and Loh. I made some things for my daughter from it and pajama pants for my kids. There was some seeming error but I figured it out, but it's not the clearest.

They have all sorts of things for men/women/boys/girls but some are a bit dated. But you can make many work.

In terms of something more modern, Kids' Clothes Sew Easy: Easy to Sew T-Shirts, Tracksuits, Leggings, Trousers, Shorts, Dungarees, Anoraks, Skirts and Dresses by Rene Burgh is OOP but can be found. It's only for kids. It starts everything with a sloper and you alter from there, instead of directly drafting the pattern.

Thanks, Stripe. We will look into those books.

Anyone else?

There is a wonderful book from 1942 by Harriet Pepin called Modern Pattern Design. I have a copy of it and there used to be a copy posted at vintagepattern.info which seems to have been taken down. However, I found a link to an archive of that which is still available.

Here is a link to that discussion

http://www.burdastyle.com/discussions/someone-help-me/topics/vintagesewinginfocom--2

Here is the link that will take you to the table of contents:

http://replay.web.archive.org/20070103111428/http://www.vintagesewing.info/1940s/42-mpd/mpd-toc-short.html

It tells how to draft slopers and designs from these. The book is remarkably similar to a more modern book I also have called Patternmaking for Fashion Design by Armstrong. It is also great for learning to draft and manipulate basic patterns. I have the second edition, I know it has been updated, but you might be able to find a used copy?

These have been very helpful to me. Learning some basics has really improved my sewing and is very liberating!

I would probably use the Angry Chicken skirt and possibly add a waistband and conventional hemming if the elastic is too tough for a beginner project.

Other than that, I would look for vintage materials, like 1950s sewing curriculums. There are many available on the web. I used to have one bookmarked, but I can't find it just now. I don't think you will find a modern curriculum like you are wanting, there just isn't enough current demand.

There is a wonderful book from 1942 by Harriet Pepin called Modern Pattern Design. I have a copy of it and there used to be a copy posted at vintagepattern.info which seems to have been taken down. However, I found a link to an archive of that which is still available.

Here is a link to that discussion

http://www.burdastyle.com/discussions/someone-help-me/topics/vintagesewinginfocom--2

Here is the link that will take you to the table of contents:

http://replay.web.archive.org/20070103111428/http://www.vintagesewing.info/1940s/42-mpd/mpd-toc-short.html

It tells how to draft slopers and designs from these. The book is remarkably similar to a more modern book I also have called Patternmaking for Fashion Design by Armstrong. It is also great for learning to draft and manipulate basic patterns. I have the second edition, I know it has been updated, but you might be able to find a used copy?

These have been very helpful to me. Learning some basics has really improved my sewing and is very liberating!

Thank you! This is what I am looking for. The bolded is what I want to impart to my DD.

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was a home ec major, that class was called "Flat Pattern Design." I just googled that term and got many hits. So, I suggest you google that term and see what you come up with.

I was googling 'sewing pattern design', so I will spend some time checking out 'flat pattern design'. Thank you for the proper terminology.

I would probably use the Angry Chicken skirt and possibly add a waistband and conventional hemming if the elastic is too tough for a beginner project.

Other than that, I would look for vintage materials, like 1950s sewing curriculums. There are many available on the web. I used to have one bookmarked, but I can't find it just now. I don't think you will find a modern curriculum like you are wanting, there just isn't enough current demand.

Very cute skirt! I will look into vintage materials. Thanks!

This is a fabulous intro, to the point, start in the am and have a skirt that night.

How to Make Sewing Patterns by McCunn is good and affordable, clearly written text.

I also like Patterns from Finished Clothes by Doyle for remaking the stuff I already have in my closet and love.

This is a fabulous intro, to the point, start in the am and have a skirt that night.

How to Make Sewing Patterns by McCunn is good and affordable, clearly written text.

I also like Patterns from Finished Clothes by Doyle for remaking the stuff I already have in my closet and love.

Oh, I like the idea of making patterns from finished clothes. I will also look into the McCunn book.