Menu

kids' glasses

Has anyone found a style or brand of glasses frames that is really durable and can withstand a 5 year old?

DD got glasses last fall and on day one broke them. Luckily Target replaced the frames, no problem. But ever since then, we've still had problems with the nose piece, with the ear pieces, and even a lens that was loose. Obviously, we are not going to be returning to Target's eye center.

Today she broke the glasses in such a way that they're going to have to be completely replaced. She's not any more hard on them than an average 5 year old, we practice very good care of her glasses, so thats not the issue.

So I'm just wondering if any other parents of youngsters in glasses had found something or somewhere that worked for them.

If you have a Visionworks near you, you can get two pairs for $99 there. They offer optional insurance for an additional $30, but we always just count the second pair as "insurance." It's nice to have a back-up pair! Dd's prescription seems to change every year, so about the time we are using the second pair full time, it's time for a new prescription anyway.

I don't know about brand, but I would call around to various locally owned vision places. Our place will replace/repair ds5's frames as many times as needed for 2 years (our insurance only covers frames every 2 years). Even if they seem a bit more expensive up front their policy and their service is well worth it.

When my daughter was that age and younger we generally went with the the thick plastic frames. Usually in pink. Or purple. We found that they held up quite well. The metal or wire frames did not hold up so well.

Between the ages of 1 and about 6 my daughter averaged about 5-6 pairs of glasses per year. And we had no vision insurance at that time. She would lose them on purpose, she fed one pair to the dog. It was very hard to keep my cool.

Once she started reading her glasses became her best friend and now she is very careful with them.

Thanks everybody for your replies. I'm keeping it all in mind as we go off now to see what a couple nearby vision places have to offer.

Kelli, I got a good giggle out of your daughter feeding her glasses to the dog, thats too funny!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Man, I went through pair after pair when I was young (2 or 3 a year, easy). One time, while playing, I knew I was going to be jumping around, so I took them off and put them off to the side to keep them safe... 15 minutes later C-R-A-A-C-K! I don't know how my parents survived me:D

You've got great suggestions (I like the idea of the wire frames that twist and turn!!!)

The ones we've gotten for my ds are flexi-glass or something like that. He started glasses at 4 and had problems with them breaking. Once we got the flexible ones (as mentioned above) it's been sooo much better!

We get unlimited repairs, and one new pair, no questions asked, within a years time.

I don't know if you have an Eye Masters store in your area, but I got my daughter's glasses there last Spring and they only ran me $100 for two pairs. She only wears them for reading, so I can't speak to durability, but for that price it's really nice to have a backup.

Barb