Menu

Life of Fred question

Hi

As a result of various recent posts on these boards, I have just bought LIfe of Fred Beginning ALgebra for my son (will be grade 8 in the fall). He has already got 1/3 way through TEaching Textbooks Algebra 1.

What I want to know is: are any of you using Life Of Fred as your only Math program? Or do you just use it to supplement?

Thanks

Meryl

I picked up LOF fractions a year ago (I think). DS tried it some last year and liked it, but it got packed away and I forgot about it. I pulled it out this spring after he finished his Singapore book and he had fun with it. I don't think he learned much from it, but he had fun with it anyway, and it was a good way for him to keep up with his math skills.

I don't know how well it would work as a primary program. I know there have been some threads about it on the high school board, you could search there and see what has been said.

Jean

What I want to know is: are any of you using Life Of Fred as your only Math program? Or do you just use it to supplement?

Well, yes and no. My ds uses LOF as his spine. Then we splice in chapters of NEM appropriate to the topic. This provides the extra computation/practice that LOF is a little light on. It also gives two slants on the same math topic, which I think is a good thing. We have done this for algebra 1 and geometry.

LOF is a full and demanding curriculum. The idea that it is only a supplement is a mistake. It is light on problem sets, though. The Home Companion books add sets, and you can find those elsewhere if you need them.

The high school board has several threads on LOF.

Karen

We used LOF Beginning Algebra exclusively for 8th and I think it worked great. At the end I crosschecked with the online tests available for Teaching Textbooks and Saxon and she scored better than 90% on each. Moving on to Advanced Algebra for 9th, and very happy.

Danielle

• 5 months later...