Menu

American History for young elementary (like Sonlight)

Ben&Gabe'smom

Does anyone know of a history program similar to Sonlight for young elementary students? I am going around and around for history for 1st grade. I would really like to just read some good books, but my husband wants a curriculum. I'm looking for something like Sonlight, but Sonlight's American History is for older elementary children. I am aware of Beautiful Feet's curriculum. Is there anything else? Thanks!

Heart of Dakota's Beyond would be great, although depending on your child's skill levels it might be better for 2nd grade. You can look at the placement charts on Heart of Dakota's website to see.

Another option is Early American History (Primary) from Beautiful Feet Books. This is a literature-based program with lots of nice, meaty picture books.

Heart of Dakota is an all-inclusive program, whereas the Beautiful Feet is just History (with some Bible too).

HTH!

Edited to add: Oops! I just saw that you already know about BF! Sorry!

We are using MFW Adventures and it's been a great fit for us this year- history books, map work, narrating/notebooking, state studies, hands on (though we don't get to this too often, read alouds, Like you, I wanted something similar to Sonlight but their US cores were too advanced for the ages of my children. They have other things like science and Bible scheduled in but it's no problem if you want to leave them out and use only the history (that's what I end up doing a lot since we are in an Apologia Science co-op and esp. since the Bible is so light so I add my own stuff). I also bought the Early American history books from Beautiful Feet, and supplement with those. They blend together perfectly. Adventures is intended for 2-3rd graders, but IMO it is perfect for 1st grade. My K/1st grade level son is really enjoying it. MY 2/3rd grade level daughter loves it as well, and since she is a strong reader, I purchased Sonlight D readers (previously core 3) for her independent reading. What a great year it has been in American History, and no we are getting ready to start our world history cycle with Veritas Press.

Our favorite year ever was with Beautiful Feet Early American Primary. My kids all loved how they suggest to copy the B&W pages from D'Aulaire for coloring too. The book choices were phenomenal for younger kids. We own 6 SL cores. Much preferred BF actually for that age. Moving to HOD next year, so I can't comment on it yet.

We have been reading through A Living History of Our World as well as lots of good books and biographies this year for our American History! I really love the journals that you can get to go with these, too.

:iagree: us too it's relaxed but we explor further with read allude, crafts, brainpop, internet and library