Menu

I really am at a loss

I have been going over what my middles are missing and it is extensive. I have made sure my oldest was always doing about average (in math she is behind, but that's her) or above in everything, maybe because I know I can do that. She is a traditional learner and can do things independently and be fine.

I have alluded to my problems for my next 2 kids in posts before, but I just don't know what to do. One might be dyslexic (we've never hard the money for a diagnosis and the school system in Nevada denied dyslexia exists. We are not residents of FL so they would not help us until and unless we become residents), and has the HARDEST time forming sentences on paper. We have never succeeded in any formal writing training for her and at 11 years old she cannot do it. Her handwriting is horrible. She'll technically be in 7th grade in the fall right after she turns 12. She is behind in math, but it's only because she's a slow worker. She is actually very good in math. I did not do any grammar with her this year because it doesn't stick. It just doesn't. She is reading her science book and likes it okay. She reads okay, but she will totally mess up some words and just throw something out there. I figured it wasn't a huge deal for now as long as she ca tell me what the book is about (in broken, halting speech. This is never an issue when it is her own thoughts she's expressing). It seems as though nothing I've tried with this child helps.

My next child (DS10) has a diagnosis of Asperger's. Shall I just stop there? He can concentrate on nothing except Legos. He's a complete natural at math but I can't get him to just sit and do it. Grammar has not happened except for a brief trial of R&S 2 when I found just how much a boy can melt on a book. He likes his science book and is a good reader. But finding something that interests him is VERY difficult, and I have to keep checking on him every few minutes to find he is playing with some Bionicle. When I check on him too much he gets really frustrated and either has a meltdown or acts like he's reading but he could not tell me a thing about the book.

As you can imagine, these two wonderful, awesome kids are all consuming when it comes time to do school. Either all the time is spent with them, or they just don't do their work. I have a DS8 that I SO want to do things right with, but he just hates school (influence from his brother, no doubt). He's such a bright, articulate boy, though, and has such great potential. I then have a 5 year old I want to teach to read and 2 toddlers running around.

I KNOW we can do this. I just need a plan. Some direction. My tentative plans for this summer are to start DD11 on MCT Grammar Island, TT 7, and RS4K Level 1. DS10 will do TT 4 and RS4K and books if I can find something to interest him. DS8 will do books (once again, high quality but interest-led), RS4K, and, if I can get him up to that level, TT3.

Does this plan seem realistic? Enough? Doable? Should I be pushing harder (I'm not sure I can, and I know how to push)? I think I just need some perspective. The lack of writing is bothering me, but I just don't see how we can do it. It's like one of those dreams where you can see what you want or what you need to do, but you can't quite reach it.

Thanks for your advice.

Scottish Rite Learning Centers perform dyslexia screenings for free to everyone, and they are located all over the country. Scottish Rite also has teaching tapes that they will loan to families that homeschool. Are you in some sort of homeschool cover? I know of one covering that loans tapes out to assist students.

Your plate seems full. I would probably send the little kids to a mothers morning out. Consider adjusting your day so that you can work with each child. Rotate early mornings. You are going to have to be creative. Combine lessons for all ages of children. HS during unusual times and weekends. Your DH will likely play a critical role in all of this.

Best of luck whatever you decide,

Heather

I just thought of a few things...Teach typing. BBC Dance Mat typing is online and free....Use text to speech software. Dragon Speak Naturally sells an excellent, reasonably priced product....Books on tape. Record your own voice digitally or use Reading Ally. The Ladies here can suggest many other services. Read the book The Dyslexic Advantage by the Eides. They make specific recommendation for writing and grammar. Stick with O-G materials.

Edited by Heathermomster

I'm going to refer you to my answer here:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346595

Bottom line, Ds would bog down on seatwork so I avoid it. I require minimal handwriting and we do everything spoken when possible. I introduce information but don't require testing- it stresses him out. He has tested as having a slow processing speed so I allow the use of a calculator and permit him to continue learning math concepts and enjoying them rather than getting stuck on the details. He is much happier if we can move forward and learn rather than stall out on things he can't do.

(FWIW, we do see a therapist and I consult with her regarding what's reasonable as far as making accomdations. I don't want to give DS a free pass, but I do want to help him succeed. KWIM?)

I just thought of a few things...Teach typing. BBC Dance Mat typing is online and free....Use text to speech software. Dragon Speak Naturally sells an excellent, reasonably priced product....Books on tape. Record your own voice digitally or use Reading Ally. The Ladies here can suggest many other services. Read the book The Dyslexic Advantage by the Eides. They make specific recommendation for writing and grammar. Stick with O-G materials.

Just a quick comment on Learning Ally: you must be diagnosed with a print disability to use this service. A professional involved with the care of your child needs to certify the diagnosis to Learning Ally. Bookshare is the same way.

Thanks you guys so much for your advice. I guess I need to look in different directions for some things. Definitely OG, which is something I keep forgetting to look for. Typing was one of those things I really wanted to do with them and then.....things just get stuck. Like we are all slogging through mud.

It doesn't help that DH is unemployed and we are living with my parents, who are "concerned" for the kids with homeschooling (all while they and everyone else says how smart they all are). Sigh. All of our mistakes are so very public here, which is paralyzing when it comes to doing something new.

MomatHWTK--Can I ask you more specifics on what you do? By Plato type stuff, I suppose you mean modeled after the questions Plato used to ask and have his students answer? Or is that the name of a curriculum? I have SO many theories on which way to go next! Part of me says do something fun like MFW ADV for all of them (except oldest DD), even though it is below grade level for the older 2 I am concerned about (I would of course have the olders doing harder books), simply because it would have them learning something everyday and maybe that would give us something to do together. Another part of me says "NO! Just stick to the 3Rs!", so that I can concentrate on the REALLY important things and maybe make some progress there, but then school will probably still be a drudgery with their learning "just the facts, ma'am". Another part of me says drop it all, go in search of excellent, interesting books and make them read their brains out. I just don't know! In our current living situation (and I didn't mention I am in online school myself!), I feel like I never have a thought that lasts more than 3 seconds. So while I usually shuns TMs, or plans, or schedules, maybe I need one. Maybe I just need to be able to check a box.

I am so sorry, I forgot this is a WTM board- PLATO is a online learning program. It's completely audio/visual with the child keying in answers to multiple choice questions. :) DS has difficulty transferring thought to paper, so I allow him to get as much information as he can through video means and don't ask for a lot of written output.

Being able to turn some of the teaching duties over to the computer also frees me to be more of a mommy, which we need right now due to the behavioral issues DS is facing. Sometimes circumstances make our choices for us.

Edited by MomatHWTK