Menu

LOF WDYT

~Amanda~

I really haven't been impressed with the elementary books. What age are you looking at this for? My 6yo is having fun with them, but so far, it's all been basic addition facts that he knows. My 8yo and 10yo read the first 4 elementary books in one afternoon. Looking through Dogs, I see some abstract concepts that my 2nd grader wouldn't encounter otherwise before algebra (like functions and sets), but the actual math problems are double-digit addition with carrying and an introduction to multiplication--things that he had already covered in Singapore 2A.

The books are pretty pricey ($160 if you buy all 10 elementary books) and I couldn't justify to myself spending that much for a review.

I really haven't been impressed with the elementary books. What age are you looking at this for? My 6yo is having fun with them, but so far, it's all been basic addition facts that he knows. My 8yo and 10yo read the first 4 elementary books in one afternoon. Looking through Dogs, I see some abstract concepts that my 2nd grader wouldn't encounter otherwise before algebra (like functions and sets), but the actual math problems are double-digit addition with carrying and an introduction to multiplication--things that he had already covered in Singapore 2A.

The books are pretty pricey ($160 if you buy all 10 elementary books) and I couldn't justify to myself spending that much for a review.

That was what I was worried about; the price just wouldn't justify the review. I would LOVE to have something where the higher-up concepts are introduced in a simpler setting, but not for 160$ of less than a month of review.

I think it is important to ask yourself what you want this program *for.* The LOF elementary series isn't really about learning to do math computation. If you are looking for a program to teach and/or review math *skills* this is probably not what you are looking for.

However, if you a) have a focus on living books, b) emphasize learn by reading, c) like to make connections across the curriculum in all different subject areas, d) have a verbal, word loving kid who loves to sit by you while you read stories, e) have a kid (or yourself have) a quirky sense of humor, or some meaningful combination of the above, then you might really like LOF. The book's philosophy and approach can be summarized best by the author's statement, "I don't teach math, I teach kids."

My dd9 started hsing in October with a bad case of math stress. Math had become a huge, dreaded ordeal with lots and lots of boring homework. We use MM as our primary math program, and I love it. Dd struggles with it, but is learning a *ton.* We use TT for review and for days when I can't work with her (every Friday at least). I don't love it, but it provides review and she enjoys using it. We do Singapore word problems for more conceptual development.

We do Fred because it is fun, and DD enjoys it and looks forward to it every day. Sometimes it provides the motivation to get through her 2+ pages of MM, so we can sit on the couch and read Fred together. Fred has introduced us to some really interesting math ideas - concepts about infinity, sets, and algebraic equations and their relation to the arithmetic she knows. It has also introduced concepts in geography, literature, etymology, history, and other topics we've enjoyed discussing. It has lots of interesting moral/ethical/philosphical dilemnas and discussions. We don't always agree with the author's take, but we have good talks about where he's coming from, where we're coming from, and why.

So I consider Fred a really valuable part of our hs curriculum. Could I teach math without it? Absolutely. Would I spring for the elementary series if I didn't have a younger dd who will also use it? Probably not.

Anyway, I know this was a long answer, but it isn't a simple "curriculum", and I guess I wanted to do justice to the question by answering it in its complexity, just this once. HTH.

That was what I was worried about; the price just wouldn't justify the review. I would LOVE to have something where the higher-up concepts are introduced in a simpler setting, but not for 160$ of less than a month of review.

If you are going ahead with Fractions, you will still get those higher concepts intertwined with the story in a fun way. I've liked using Fractions with my 10yo. It is deceptively difficult, but the presentation makes it worth it for her to struggle through the challenging bits. If your dc are ready for fractions, just start there. Fractions was written before any of the elementary books were conceived, and they're not a necessary precursor to understanding the later books.

If you are going ahead with Fractions, you will still get those higher concepts intertwined with the story in a fun way. I've liked using Fractions with my 10yo. It is deceptively difficult, but the presentation makes it worth it for her to struggle through the challenging bits. If your dc are ready for fractions, just start there. Fractions was written before any of the elementary books were conceived, and they're not a necessary precursor to understanding the later books.

Thank you.

I think it is important to ask yourself what you want this program *for.* The LOF elementary series isn't really about learning to do math computation. If you are looking for a program to teach and/or review math *skills* this is probably not what you are looking for.

However, if you a) have a focus on living books, b) emphasize learn by reading, c) like to make connections across the curriculum in all different subject areas, d) have a verbal, word loving kid who loves to sit by you while you read stories, e) have a kid (or yourself have) a quirky sense of humor, or some meaningful combination of the above, then you might really like LOF. The book's philosophy and approach can be summarized best by the author's statement, "I don't teach math, I teach kids."

My dd9 started hsing in October with a bad case of math stress. Math had become a huge, dreaded ordeal with lots and lots of boring homework. We use MM as our primary math program, and I love it. Dd struggles with it, but is learning a *ton.* We use TT for review and for days when I can't work with her (every Friday at least). I don't love it, but it provides review and she enjoys using it. We do Singapore word problems for more conceptual development.

We do Fred because it is fun, and DD enjoys it and looks forward to it every day. Sometimes it provides the motivation to get through her 2+ pages of MM, so we can sit on the couch and read Fred together. Fred has introduced us to some really interesting math ideas - concepts about infinity, sets, and algebraic equations and their relation to the arithmetic she knows. It has also introduced concepts in geography, literature, etymology, history, and other topics we've enjoyed discussing. It has lots of interesting moral/ethical/philosphical dilemnas and discussions. We don't always agree with the author's take, but we have good talks about where he's coming from, where we're coming from, and why.

So I consider Fred a really valuable part of our hs curriculum. Could I teach math without it? Absolutely. Would I spring for the elementary series if I didn't have a younger dd who will also use it? Probably not.

Anyway, I know this was a long answer, but it isn't a simple "curriculum", and I guess I wanted to do justice to the question by answering it in its complexity, just this once. HTH.

I love this response!