Menu

Khan Academy... WOW!!!

What an incredible resource for home educators!!! And, it's all free! My ds is learning about genetics, so I looked up a video in the biology section for him to watch. I was really impressed with how well the teacher explained how punnett squares work. When I scrolled down the entire list of videos, my jaw hit the floor! Thousands of videos!! They even have a section on SAT practice tests. After you take the test, you click on any problem you missed to hear a teacher explain it to you. Amazing!!

http://www.khanacademy.org/#browse

My ds HATES watching the videos (and will only do so for points.) However, he LOVES the practice exercises. When he gets to something he doesn't know how to do, he either asks me to explain it to him or he figures it out by trial and error.

Khan Academy has gotten him to move past the (too easy for him) 5th grade math he was doing and on to grade-level material.;)

Warning.....this is not a public service announcement and I am not under the employment of Khan Academy.....

After slogging through MM (great program, not a great fit) at the beginning of the "school" year and after much pleading from dd11 to switch to something else, we finally settled on Khan Academy...with the caveat that she would work on it while while we researched and settled on a better fitting program. FF to the present....dd is still using KA and is currently working through the pre-algebra playlist. KA has been nearly perfect!!! I give it sole credit in helping to restore dd's math confidence. The frustration, drudgery, and careless errors are all nearly gone. The immediate feedback keeps dd highly motivated to work carefully through the program. She commends Sal for taking the time to explain things in a way that she can really understand. One HUGE faux pas on my part is not taking into consideration dd's learning style. She is highly auditory and and visual. It's crazy scary how much she retains this way. This should have been my first clue that there was something wrong in the way we were doing math before, a once abhorred subject area. She now thinks math is fun and even when there's a concept that kicking her in the you know what (something that would bring her to tears often) she tries and tries until she gets it. The look of glee and accomplishment in her face is priceless. We will continue with KA for the long haul.

Couldn't agree more!! Khan Academy is amazing. We used it to "repeat" pre-algebra after leaving the public school and are using it temporarily while I wait for TT Algebra 1 to arrive (Saxon was not a fun experience so we are switching it up.)

I'm a little leery to use Khan exclusively but we will continue to use Khan as a supplemental math program. I just require it for about an hour on Mondays (our co-op day) to give the girls a break from structure. They can work on whatever lesson Khan recommends next.

Anyone use Khan exclusively in Algebra and beyond??

My kids are using it exclusively at the moment. DS is going through pre-Algebra and DD is going through arithmetic. Math is not our strongest subject and has always been very much a struggle....until now. Now they love math, they compete (in a fun way) for getting points and badges and math is no longer a chore. If either of them has trouble with that day's module, we watch and practice together. My son and I have a healthy competition going with the pre-Algebra -- he mostly whoops my behind. He is almost done, and will move on to Sal's Algebra modules next.

I have "textbook" materials that I issue tests from. It's working, and you know what they say "if it ain't broke, no need to fix it".

I also plan on exploring other subjects for my own personal studies; and I want us to study the Art together as well.

I love Khan!!!

~coffee~

I was interested in Khan Academy, but my kids really dislike it. They hate the videos and the practice problems, and the badges don't motivate them at all. (My dd10 said, "Why do I care if I get some awards that don't mean anything?" which is funny because her favorite website, about horses, also gives awards that don't mean anything, and she gets all thrilled about those.)

After several weeks of nagging the kids to do some Khan stuff and them resisting and complaining, I gave up.

Oh well.

Tara

I really like Khan and have used it with my son for introducing new concepts like negative numbers. I am wondering thought if anyone here has mapped the lectures to a math text yet? For example Algebra 1 Jacobs, Foerster, Dolciani, Lial, etc... For me this would be ideal as I would like to use it to suppliment some really good texts vs. exclusively without any text at all. I think I heard someone on the HS forum talking about doing such a mapping for Algebra. But I don't know if he ever did it.

An interesting point regarding supplimemtal mapping is that Khan is already creating videos to suppliment Singapore Math:

"We will (eventually) do all of the lectures in the Singapore Math curriculum (which we like). You can follow along through the workbooks available at singaporemath.com" -- http://www.khanacademy.org/search?page_search_query=singapore

Edited by dereksurfs