Menu

Five years experience or five years OF experience...

How would you write this sentence?  

1. 1. How would you write this sentence?

• I have five years experience.
    • I have five years of experience.
    • Obligatory other (please explain in comments).

What is actually correct? Will somebody please--oh pretty please--save me from myself?

My brain prevents me from knowing. It's the funniest (most infuriating?) thing. I cannot rationalize it any way I try. Can't understand it to save my life. What the *! is right? :lol:

* sigh * Want to know the sad part? I'm a technical editor by trade. For the life of me, in all the years I've been doing this, I've yet to shake the mental block I have over years of experience. Or years experience. Or however the heck it should be written.

Anyone else have an infuriating grammar hang-up? There's plenty of room here at my pity party. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: I always use the 'of,' even though I don't know why.

Edited by BrookValley

I hate apostrophes. It's not their fault they are misused so often. Poor apostrophes. It's an unfair bias, for sure, but see how my mind won't even allow me to entertain 'years' experience' as an option? I couldn't even include it in my poll. :) I think that's why I also have a hard time using 'of.' It's used too much.

I can't be too judgemental about that movie poster (seeing as I started this thread :tongue_smilie:), but I do really have a hard time with a lot of stuff I see in print. For heaven's sake, if you're gonna put the time, money, and effort into any sort of publication or mass-produced document/whathaveyou, it should be edited thoroughly. I noticed this morning that the text on my carton of flax milk had rogue apostrophes. Surely more than one person is responsible for content on this kind of stuff--no one noticed?

On a related note, the name of this movie makes me want to scream.

254283.1020.A.jpg

Way back when, my dad tried to convince an executive at Disney not to name a movie "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids." It should be either "Honey, I SHRANK the Kids," or "Honey, I HAVE SHRUNK the Kids."

They looked at him as if he had two heads. Oh, well.

Way back when, my dad tried to convince an executive at Disney not to name a movie "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids." It should be either "Honey, I SHRANK the Kids," or "Honey, I HAVE SHRUNK the Kids."

They looked at him as if he had two heads. Oh, well.

LOL. Whenever I hear that movie title, I think to myself that they might as well have called it "Honey, I Done Shrunk the Kids" :001_smile:

LOL. Whenever I hear that movie title, I think to myself that they might as well have called it "Honey, I Done Shrunk the Kids" :001_smile:

And now a whole generation of kids is going to get "shrunk" into their ears and think that it sounds *right*... which means they'll use it that way... and it'll become accepted... and grammatically correct! :glare: Dontcha just LOVE that convention?! Sigh!

And now a whole generation of kids is going to get "shrunk" into their ears and think that it sounds *right*... which means they'll use it that way... and it'll become accepted... and grammatically correct! :glare: Dontcha just LOVE that convention?! Sigh!

Actually, the whole category of verbs with their past tense in "ank" and past participle in "unk" is being lost. People say "The boat sunk" as well. It's only a matter of time before "I drunk it" is considered standard English.

Although it also goes in the other direction - I hear a lot of "I had drank."

Actually, the whole category of verbs with their past tense in "ank" and past participle in "unk" is being lost. People say "The boat sunk" as well. It's only a matter of time before "I drunk it" is considered standard English.

Although it also goes in the other direction - I hear a lot of "I had drank."

I say let's make the whole thing simpler. Every type of past tense for every verb should be "ed." Let's do away with irregulars altogether! Imagine! Even the 3 year olds would be grammatically correct! LOL!