Menu

Can TOG DE be used on the iPad?

Mommyfaithe

I don't think it is an issue of infeasibility. My understanding was that it has to do with the creators of LockLizard not being willing to create an iPad app for their program. I'm not sure they see it as profitable enough. With the popularity of iPads that could change in the future but for now...no luck. Wish there were a way.

I saw a post in the past (on the TOG forums, perhaps?) where someone used an app like Team Viewer to see their DE on the ipad. As long as the 'main' computer was on, the ipad could access the program. She was pretty happy with it, IIRC.

I do intend to figure this out, though, maybe I can do a search later today.

I saw a post in the past (on the TOG forums, perhaps?) where someone used an app like Team Viewer to see their DE on the ipad. As long as the 'main' computer was on, the ipad could access the program. She was pretty happy with it, IIRC.

I do intend to figure this out, though, maybe I can do a search later today.

I saw that post too! I couldn't find it though, but it should be pretty simple: you need to use a service that allows you to access your PC on mobile devices. There will probably be an additional cost for the software/app.

From my understanding (when I was considering TOG but have decided against) - it's possible but they don't want to invest in it or find a vendor who supports it.

From TOG FAQ

While the iPad is an Apple product, it is not a Mac computer. Instead of using the same operating system as a Mac (OS X), it uses Apple's mobile operating system (iOS), the same as used by the iPhone, the iPod Touch and Apple TV. As such, LockLizard has not announced support for the iPad or any other device not using the Windows or OS X operating systems. Development of an iPad app that could work on the iPad (that is, developing something other than LockLizard) would be a very expensive undertaking for Lampstand Press. We have no plans to do so in the foreseeable future.

• 1 month later...

I had subscribed to this and just got my iPad yesterday. I got the Splashtop app so that my iPad can remotely work my computer and tried it with the free three week trial of DE. It worked great. I have no idea how far away from your computer you can be, and the computer does have to be on, but it's a satisfactory work-around for me for now.

I had subscribed to this and just got my iPad yesterday. I got the Splashtop app so that my iPad can remotely work my computer and tried it with the free three week trial of DE. It worked great. I have no idea how far away from your computer you can be, and the computer does have to be on, but it's a satisfactory work-around for me for now.

Awesome idea. I use my computer remotely...this might work for me.

Faithe

I tried Teamviewer and hated it. I couldn't get the TOG pages to show up the way I wanted on the screen, and the teamviewer thing would not cover the whole ipad, so everything was impossibly tiny and when I would zoom in I had to do to much shifting around to make it an enjoyable reading experience. :glare: you have to use the iPad as a mouse, and frankly, the reason I love the iPad is because of the lack of a mouse.

I wish they would just "get with the program." I'm not going to stop using TOG because of this, but I would love it EVEN MORE.

I use an app called PocketCloud Pro to access my mac desktop from my ipad. It costs money, but not much, I am pretty sure it's less than $20.

It works great for me to do all sorts of things from the ipad! I am just getting started with TOG, but I can use the DE just fine through this app. It does help to have the reading window set to a good size to fit the ipad screen.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a workaround but it's somewhat clumsy, and will require you have a wifi connection most of the time for it to work.

I have an app on my Ipad2 called SplashTop HD. http://www.splashtop.com/remote

When SplashTop is running on my laptop, and I open the app on my Ipad, I can remotely access all my computer functions. For me, using hand gestures is a bit more awkward than a mouse, but it's mostly because I keep forgetting the commands. I just tested accessing my DE files, and I can read them on my Ipad just like I can on my laptop. It's not ideal, but it does work.

If all you mainly need are the Student Pages, they can be accessed for each week through the "workbook contents" link. You can save them to your computer, then upload and store them in your Ipad to access anytime. There are a few ways to do it...

1. Save the workbook contents to your computer.

2. Use a program such as Dropbox or Evernote (my brain!) to store the PDF file.

3. Using the Ipad app, access the PDF documents as needed.

Options:

1. Save the document in your program of choice (mine is Evernote) for storage and access.

2. Save the document for storage in your program of choice, BUT....also open/save in iBooks for easy access. (Files look and act more like ebooks.)

3. Same as above, but open and use the PDF files in an app like Notability (my choice) which allows you to mark up PDF files. For example, if you don't want or can't print out the student worksheets, they can fill them in on the Ipad. Or, you can check off the little check boxes as you work through the week's topics, make notes, etc. If you find you need a hard copy for your records, you can print the individual pages before or after they have been filled in.

I haven't played around with this too much, as I have both DE and Print. But until TOG comes up with an app, this may be the best workaround currently available. Hope it helps!