Menu

Mississippi- home school diploma or ged?

Hi, I hope someone can help me. I am so confused as to which is better in this state. All of the colleges I have looked at state they require state or regionally accredited high school diplomas or proof of passing the ged.

So, it seems those are the only options from what I can figure out and I'm thinking our only options would be something like American School or follow TWTM for high school and then do the ged test. It seems that keeping a transcript and/or portfolio and such would be of no use and even doing a program like CLASS wouldn't be worth it in the end.

I'm hoping I'm mistaken but I have searched the internet for hours yesterday and today and that is all I can see.

Does anyone know for sure? I'd appreciate any help. :) Many thanks!

Personally, I would avoid getting the GED if you have a choice. It's a wonderful option for someone who didn't graduate and wants the equivalency diploma for work and/or further education. But if a homeschooler has the option, I would go for the other option - in this case an accredited diploma. There are many programs which can provide this. I'd also make sure, as you're doing here, that your understanding of the colleges' requirements is accurate. Many here have children in college after preparing their own high school diploma - not sure about those attending schools in Mississippi. Often state universities are more concerned about the accredited diploma/GED than private schools.

Can you personally verify this requirement? I would contact hs friends in your area who have graduated children who have gone on to these universities.

Or email the specific university you are considering, to hear it directly from them.

Univ. of Alabama has been actively recruiting my son and several other homeschoolers here in KY. (I guess I would prefer to send our son to a more homeschool-friendly school . . . across state lines if needed.)

For example, Univ. of KY has an admissions counselor specifically assigned to homeschoolers. This guy was homeschooled himself and is very adept at navigating the process. It is likely that you can find someone in the admissions office to help you at a specific Mississippi university.

I personally would absolutely NOT jump to an accredited homeschool program just to meet one specific school's requirements.

GED does have a stigma attached to it. And it gets complicated if admissions is tied to it. In order to be eligible to attend a private university in St. Louis, we were willing to have our son take it. However, we ran into a conflict:

KY would NOT allow a currently enrolled high schooler to take the GED.

The private university would not accept his application unless he had a GED test score! They ended up saying that a detailed Course Description & texts used would be sufficient until he could take the test after graduation.

Thankfully, our son then decided (for several reasons) NOT to apply to that particular school.

Anyway, welcome to the world of Learning how to be a Guidance Counselor. It's worth the effort to dig around to get the info you need, directly from the source!

From USM's web site: Applicants who have not graduated from a regionally accredited high school and were not home-schooled must submit qualifying scores on the General Education Development Test (GED) and any transcripts reflecting academic performance in high school.

Home-schooled students must present portfolios summarizing his or her home-school education. Submission of ACT or SAT scores is strongly encouraged. Applicants may be required, at the discretion of the university, to appear for an on-campus interview.

http://www.usm.edu/admissions/other-routes-admission

MSU says: Home School applicants are required to meet the same requirements as other freshman applicants. Official ACT/SAT scores and transcripts (or portfolios) are required.

http://www.admissions.msstate.edu/freshman/requirements.php

From Mississippi College (MC)- For Homeschooled Students

In additional to general admission requirements, the following items are required for homeschooled students:

A self-reported transcript that demonstrates completion of a high school equivalent curriculum.

A personal interview with a Mississippi College admissions representative

Mississippi College reserves the right to require additional proof of academic achievement determined by the Director of Admissions.

http://www.mc.edu/admissions/undergraduate/requirements/

Edited by Stages

My dd is going to attend Miss State next fall. She has very good SAT scores. They required an "official, sealed transcript" from our cover school in Alabama where we live along with ACT scores and any AP scores or college transcripts. No portfolio needed.

They accepted her very quickly and awarded her almost $60,000 in scholarships. We ran into no homeschooling difficulties.

Love Miss State by the way!

Miss State was very easy to work with. They had specific requirements for history, science etc. Dd had completed the WTM history type sequence and they accepted that with a phone call.

I'm not sure about what a portfolio would contain, but I would guess it would be book list of books read, samples of lab reports, essays, special projects and art work.

Thanks, I hadn't even looked at those. I've mostly been looking at prcc in poplarville because its not far from home. And I looked at a few other community colleges not too far away. DS is interested in becoming a registered nurse and the cc's offer that. I guess I should have stated that in my op.

I didn't have the opportunity to go to college ans so I'm just clueless as to the whole admissions process.

I don't know anyone in real life that homeschools, that I could get advice from, so I'm very thankful to you all here for helping me.

Perk (Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College in Perkinston- just south of Wiggins) has a page specific to homeschoolers: http://www.mgccc.edu/admissions/home_school_students.php

I don't know if they have a nursing program, but I know Hinds does (in Raymond- just outside of Jackson/Clinton). Hinds doesn't say anything specific to homeschoolers; it just says to send an official transcript.

If in doubt, call PRCC tomorrow and see what their admissions counselor says. I just can't imagine it would be harder for a homeschooler to get into a community college than one of the most expensive private schools in the state.

If in doubt, call PRCC tomorrow and see what their admissions counselor says.

I agree that you might want to call them for clarification. In the general requirements it says accredited or GED. But... .

Dual Enrollment of high school students attending Prcc poplarville, those students who are

" home-schooled students must submit a transcript prepared by a parent, guardian or custodian with a signed, sworn affidavit to meet the requirements of this paragraph; and, a minimum ACT composite score of twenty-six (26) or the equivalent SAT score. "

So, it seems like that they have some experience understanding some of this. If they understand for dual enrollment, then they might be willing to have a similar waiver on the full student status. Definitely call them or go in person and ask how homeschool transcripts should be handled in general admission.

-crystal

I know each state's laws are different, but here in FL. . .

We don't have a state diploma like some states (PA?) and you don't have to use a cover school. You can teach your dc what you want, when you want. BUT if you want to get in the state U system (w/o starting in cc) you must have the correct 18 credits and a good enough SAT/ACT score. "Mommy" transcripts are fine.

For UF (which is our most selective state school) you must have SATII for some core classes unless you've taken them as dual enrollment. Here our entire state system (cc & U) matriculate so it's all equal. Since our DE is free (plus books for homeschoolers), it's a much better route than waiting to take the entry level classes after graduation.