Menu

Did any notorious criminals major in English?

I'm trying to find something that could be a funny visual anecdote for my speech class, but I guess my searching skills are not so hot. I can't find anything like this. It would be funniest if it could be someone like Ted Bundy, but apparently there are not a lot of college-educated mass murderers. ;) Only the science/math people go on a bender. :D

I'm trying to find something that could be a funny visual anecdote for my speech class, but I guess my searching skills are not so hot. I can't find anything like this. It would be funniest if it could be someone like Ted Bundy, but apparently there are not a lot of college-educated mass murderers. ;) Only the science/math people go on a bender. :D
Cho Seung-Hui, the 2007 Virginia Tech shooter, was an English major.

This just proves how perfectly stable and law-abiding English majors are. :D

Darn. I had this idea where I was going to include in my PowerPoint, "...and just look at some of these famous English majors...Stephen King....Sally Ride (yes, an astronaut!)...Chevy Chase...bizarre mass murderer...'oh yes, well, moving on..." :D But it just won't work if it's not someone with major notoriety.

IIRC, Richard Loeb (of Leopold and Loeb) was an English major. The two of them believed they were so intelligent that they could commit the perfect crime. They murdered a teenage boy and were caught quickly. They were rumored to be gay, and Loeb was murdered in prison, allegedly after soliciting another prisoner for sex. Which resulted in my all-time favorite news lead:

"Richard Loeb, despite his erudition, today ended his sentence with a proposition."