Menu

Contracting at 28 weeks. Not sure whether to be annoyed or worried...

I had a lot of prodromal labor with baby #3 starting at about 30 weeks. With this pregnancy, it seems to have started even earlier. It's worse in the evenings when I am tired from the day. But, I woke up this morning hurting and it's making me crazy.

I really don't think I'm in preterm labor because this has happened before during this pregnancy and I never had the baby. But I'm feeling mentally exhausted from worrying that I am laying in bed resting when I should be going to L&D.

Any advice?

Call your doctor.

:iagree:

OP- You are right that it could be nothing, but those contractions could be causing changes with your cervix. I've had pre-term labor and I know it's a hassle (especially when you are a busy person), but that baby needs more time and you can't assume your symptoms mean nothing.

I don't know if there would be a medical reason not to do this, so if anyone knows of one please correct me!!! Can you check your cervix and feel for any changes? As long as you are still cleared for sexual activity it should be okay to just check for dilation and effacement if you are very careful not to swipe your membranes. (Right?) I know that's what I would do if I was concerned.

Again, if anyone knows of a reason that this is a BAD idea please speak up!

I don't know if there would be a medical reason not to do this, so if anyone knows of one please correct me!!! Can you check your cervix and feel for any changes? As long as you are still cleared for sexual activity it should be okay to just check for dilation and effacement if you are very careful not to swipe your membranes. (Right?) I know that's what I would do if I was concerned.

Again, if anyone knows of a reason that this is a BAD idea please speak up!

I don't know if that is contra-indicated.

My preterm labor caused shortening and funneling of my cervix. I would've never been able to know it was happening without a vaginal ultrasound, since the cervix remained closed externally. When my cervix shrunk to 2 cm in length, I was put on meds and bedrest.

I would definitely change your life pattern to include more rest. I know after months on bedrest with my first, I slowed way down when I started contracting with my second.I was able to make it through without the bedrest. I agree with keeping in touch with your doctor. You won't be able to tell anything yourself except counting the contractions. :grouphug:

Are you having strong braxton-hicks contractions or do they feel like real contractions? My b-h contractions started early and strong with baby #4. I was so afraid he was going to be born early. I did my best to rest when I could, though I obviously still needed to care for my other 3 kids, who were all 5 and under. He was born 5 days early.