Menu

Do you get your dh anything for Valentines Day?

I always get him and the boys a small hear shaped box of chocolates.

When growing up, my family didn't have a lot of money, but somehow my mom always made sure there was a small box (with 4 pieces) of candy for each kid. Some years we shared one box for all four of us, but it was always there. I took it for granted when I was very young, but as I got older I understood the gesture.

Now, I always make sure the boys will wake up to a little heart shaped box of chocolates from their mom at their place. My DH finds his in front of the coffee maker.

I can almost guarantee they won't get me a thing, but I don't care. For me, that isn't the point.

We'll go out for dinner sometime during the week. But we don't buy anything for each other. I'm allergic to flowers, and I don't eat sugar.

We don't like "Hallmark Holidays" either. 6 years ago we started the tradition of writing a sentence on a Valentine card, the same card, and pinning it to the bulletin board. It started out as a protest to greeting card consumption. Now the card has 6 years of our little sentences, and it's actually quite moving to read.

Yes, I usually get him something little just for him or make him something that says "I Love You". It's nice to be appreciated even if it is little.

One year I made him a giant card spelled with different candy bars and left it in his meeting room at work. Another year it was a coffee mug that was red with hearts but too not girly. This year I ordered him some handmade rum cologne.

So, I'm trying to grow in being an intentional loving wife. Life gets so full that my energy gets zapped and all I feel like is being a good buddy. So, I thought that for this Valentine's, I'd try to love him across the "5 Love Languages," so here's what I'm doing:

1. Quality Time - Boylan Bridge Brewpub (http://www.boylanbridge.com/index.shtml) I've bought a certificate which gives a tour of the beer making area and then we get samples. We'll have dinner there afterward.

2. Acts of Service - On Tuesday, while he's at work, I'll get our room nice and clean, and well, prepared for later activities.

3. Words of Encouragement - This is pretty high on his list, so I'm writing him a card relating "love" scripture with what a great husband he is.

4. Gifts - This isn't too high on his list, but I'll pick up a little something for him.

5. Physical Touch and Closeness - The obvious, with plenty of hugs, kisses, and the like through the evening.

We will celebrate Valentine's Day as a family on Friday. This is our weekly "Family Night" and we'll do fun "love" stuff. :)

I bought him a box of sweettarts when I bought the kids' candy. Does that count?

I spent YEARS discouraging poor dh from doing anything for Valentine's Day... I'm not going to encourage him now by actually giving him something significant. His Kindle case apparently needs to be replaced (it is apparently the CAUSE of the fact that Amazon has now had to replace his Kindle FOUR TIMES in the last year!) so if I had known that earlier, I might have made him one. But I didn't. Oh well.

See, for years we didn't celebrate these holidays, or buy gifts for each other. We share our money, we know we love each other, so why waste the money just for a contrived holiday? However, now that we've been together 21 years, it's easy to start taking each other for granted. We've slowly started buying each other birthday and Christmas gifts, anniversary cards, etc. It started to seem like we should be giving each other at least the same attention we give others.

Anyhow, I guess I'll get a card and see if I think of a little something for him.

Dinner and a quiet night with me. That is all he ever wants (alone time). He always gets me something, though. Even though I have told him there is no need.

At the same time he makes it hard for me to even try to buy him something. This year, we only have one car. He has made sure to always have the car busy, or tag along with me every where I go. He insists there is nothing more he needs/or wants. he's a keeper.

Danielle

We don't exchange cards or gifts. We may get around to going out to dinner "for Valentine's Day" in a week or two, which suits us fine. He could hardly care less about gifts/cards (I used to feel that he "ought" to get me something, but I kinda outgrew it), we would both be stressed out by feeling pressured to do some ON the actual day, and we do enjoy the time out together when we get around to it on our own time.

Oh! I forgot: I did buy him a half-gallon of chocolate-almond ice cream last week "for Valentine' Day," which is truly selfless of me, :rolleyes:, as I hate nuts.

See, for years we didn't celebrate these holidays, or buy gifts for each other. We share our money, we know we love each other, so why waste the money just for a contrived holiday? However, now that we've been together 21 years, it's easy to start taking each other for granted. We've slowly started buying each other birthday and Christmas gifts, anniversary cards, etc. It started to seem like we should be giving each other at least the same attention we give others.

Anyhow, I guess I'll get a card and see if I think of a little something for him.

This is very sweet! We've been married almost 18 and it does seem sometimes that we take each other for granted.

We still don't celebrate V-Day. We do celebrate our anniversary and enjoy date nights every couple months. My mom takes the boys overnight so we really do have time to spend together. We usually go antiquing and out to dinner.

We don't usually get each other cards... we only did that the first year we were married... (That said, it would totally be like my dh to get me a sweet card this year, just out of the blue!)

This year I am working on showing my dh that I appreciate him and expressing love to him more... particularly in ways he "gets it".

That said, I bought a little something to wear that he likes....

No. We don't do anything for Valentine's Day or many other supposedly special days. It's just not us. We enjoy life daily and go out to eat every month on our monthly anniversary, taking a trip every year on our actual anniversary date. That's far more special to us than a date concocted by others and shared by oodles.

I always get him and the boys a small hear shaped box of chocolates.

When growing up, my family didn't have a lot of money, but somehow my mom always made sure there was a small box (with 4 pieces) of candy for each kid. Some years we shared one box for all four of us, but it was always there. I took it for granted when I was very young, but as I got older I understood the gesture.

Now, I always make sure the boys will wake up to a little heart shaped box of chocolates from their mom at their place. My DH finds his in front of the coffee maker.

I can almost guarantee they won't get me a thing, but I don't care. For me, that isn't the point.

I love this. I grew up similarly... not the V-day thing, but a family who didn't have much and a mom who knew when "it" (whatever little thing it was) was worth it. I love that you're continuing the tradition.

So, I'm trying to grow in being an intentional loving wife. Life gets so full that my energy gets zapped and all I feel like is being a good buddy. So, I thought that for this Valentine's, I'd try to love him across the "5 Love Languages," so here's what I'm doing:

1. Quality Time - Boylan Bridge Brewpub (http://www.boylanbridge.com/index.shtml) I've bought a certificate which gives a tour of the beer making area and then we get samples. We'll have dinner there afterward.

2. Acts of Service - On Tuesday, while he's at work, I'll get our room nice and clean, and well, prepared for later activities.

3. Words of Encouragement - This is pretty high on his list, so I'm writing him a card relating "love" scripture with what a great husband he is.

4. Gifts - This isn't too high on his list, but I'll pick up a little something for him.

5. Physical Touch and Closeness - The obvious, with plenty of hugs, kisses, and the like through the evening.

We will celebrate Valentine's Day as a family on Friday. This is our weekly "Family Night" and we'll do fun "love" stuff. :)

Okay, so I ended up picking up David McCollough's 1776: The Illustrated Edition for him. More than a "little something," but he'll love it. :)

We've not been getting each other gifts lately due to budget constraints. That said, he picked up a a tub of potted daffodils for me at Lowes, and when we were at Total Wine yesterday, I wheedled him into buying my favorite beer "as a Valentine's gift." I don't have anything for him however, other than a card. I did offer to buy a special treat for him at the grocery store, but he declined. He's all about not spending the money right now.

ETA: My kids are each getting a $15 lego gift card to Target -- the ones that come with a mini lego set to build the Target dog. These were supposed to be Christmas gifts, but I got tired of wrapping and figured they'd be perfect for Valentine's. Normally they would get a small candy treat, so this is a "big" Valentine's gift for them, but only because they were already on hand.

Edited by Serenade

i love this idea!!:grouphug:

love this!!

Lots of time we get something that we will both enjoy. I bought him a DVD set of Perry Mason that we will watch together.

I, on the other hand will get the romantic gift of.......

A Milking machine!

:smilielol5:

Just a thing of chocolates. I made a nice dinner on Sunday, but started it late...the he said he had already eaten taco leftovers (I was upstairs). :glare: I had marinated chicken since a day earlier so I needed to cook it that day. I enjoyed my garlic chicken and asparagus with homemade smoked Gouda cheese sauce all.by.myself. :D