Menu

Online/correspondence German

I am in need of an online or correspondence German I course that meets the following requirements:

• Is secular
  • Does not require that the parent know German
  • Does not require that the student be a particular age or in a particular grade
  • Does not have specific due dates
  • Allows the student to move more slowly than the typical pace, say completing a semester over the course of a year
  • And preferably produces students that actually are proficient in German

I know about OSU German. Are there any others that you'd recommend?

I am thinking of signing my ds up for Powerspeak, the K12 foreign language. You have a year to finish a semester, from the time you sign up.

I also looked at BYU online high school classes. They also give you a year to finish a semester.

BYU classes are a little cheaper, but you have to pay for proctoring the final test somewhere. Whereas with Powerspeak it is all included. I am not paying extra to have credit assigned or to have a teacher over the class with Powerspeak, just the basic class.

My friend's son is using the BYU classes for Japanese, 1st year. His piano teacher speaks it and my friend's sister speaks it. So he has been able to get a little practice in there. But he does it almost entirely alone as my friend doesn't know any Japanese. Part of the second year is recording yourself speaking the language and sending it digitally to the teacher to evaluate. I think she also said that the teacher would be calling to chat in the language, but I can't remember for sure. She isn't to the point yet.

I am in need of an online or correspondence German I course that meets the following requirements:

• Is secular

• Does not require that the parent know German

• Does not require that the student be a particular age or in a particular grade

• Does not have specific due dates

• Allows the student to move more slowly than the typical pace, say completing a semester over the course of a year

• And preferably produces students that actually are proficient in German

I know about OSU German. Are there any others that you'd recommend?

Goethe Institute has a distance learning program. I don't have experience with the courses, but Goethe is the organization that runs the German proficiency exams for German language learners (like TOEFL exams for English).

Oddly enough, there was a TV add for German that I caught yesterday.

The website was dodeutsch.com, which is a German outreach campaign from the German embassy.

The website has a listing of different resources for studying German.

You might want to check out the online self study course from Deutsche Welle (although I'm not sure if it would be frustrating for a new language learner).

ETA: BBC also has some German self study programs. Again, these might be better as a supplement or as just a part of a course. Or as material to work through with a tutor. But I thought I'd throw them out there.

This is the German page from BBC's school site. (Destination Death is sort of amusing, but has a zombie/vampire theme to it. So might not be all ages appropriate.)

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)