Menu

Is there a double standard when it comes to ogling?

Thank you, Janie Grace.

This will be my last post b/c school is starting and I think this thread has run its course.

If you (tagger) want to call this a JAWM, so be it. I didn't know that thread starters were not allowed to give their takes on the topic at hand.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard enough anecdotal evidence to suggest that women often get a free pass with this stuff. Professional women who comment on a man in sexual terms are perceived as cute or racy, but similar comment from a man can be professional suicide.

I find that double standard to be reeeeeeeeeeeeally obnoxious for a few different reasons, one of which is that it seems to indicate that those women are totally OK with being taken less seriously than men. If I comment on my male co-worker's butt and everyone giggles, and my male co-worker comments on my butt and gets reprimanded by HR, what does that say about what my company thinks of me? I have to assume they think my co-worker's words are serious meaningful, but mine are just so much girlish blather.

I probably shouldn't speculate about other people's motives, but I do wonder if some women talk sexually about men for some of the same reasons men used to talk sexually about women: power. "Look at me, fellows! I can talk about your ass in this office with impunity but you can't talk about mine! Neener neener ha ha!"

:iagree: I also think women sometimes feel like that kind of talk shows they are with it somehow. But men are not at all given the same leeway. I noticed it a lot in the army - men had to be very careful in mixed groups but women could be very racy and foul.

I don't think the kilt pictures are offensive though I find some comments a little embarrassing in a grade 6 kind of way. But mostly it is just a bit of silly fun. OTOH, I can easily imagine a woman coming on here or another site complaining about a husband posting something similar and getting told he was being a jerk.

So yes, i think there is absolutely a big double standard in society, I don't think kilt pics are a big part of that but maybe a bit.

It always seems those who protest things like this, are the very ones who get caught with a stash of adult entertainment or get busted for solicitation. :D

:lol: as me Me thinks the lady doth protest too much :lol:

You know what, I wasn't gonna say anything; but then I changed my mind.

These comments are completely uncalled for. Do you two ladies realize that you've accused dmmosher, as well as those of us who have agreed with her, of being two-faced?

Really? A stash of adult entertainment or BUSTED for SOLICITATION?!

How is that any different than saying someone who is vocal against child abuse probably abuses their own kids? Or that claims to be vegan probably secretly eats steak? I mean, it's absurd.

And anyone who knows me IRL would find the assertion that I secretly enjoy adult entertainment, let alone SOLICIT for S3X to be completely absurd. And, I would hope, MOST of the women who know me here on this board would agree.

You know what, I wasn't gonna say anything; but then I changed my mind.

These comments are completely uncalled for. Do you two ladies realize that you've accused dmmosher, as well as those of us who have agreed with her, of being two-faced?

Really? A stash of adult entertainment or BUSTED for SOLICITATION?!

How is that any different than saying someone who is vocal against child abuse probably abuses their own kids? Or that claims to be vegan probably secretly eats steak? I mean, it's absurd.

And anyone who knows me IRL would find the assertion that I secretly enjoy adult entertainment, let alone SOLICIT for S3X to be completely absurd. And, I would hope, MOST of the women who know me here on this board would agree.

Actually I wasn't referring to anyone other than the OP. First off it was a joke that I made hence the smilies. Secondly, I don't give a rat's patootie in this situation. I think the whole post was a waste of space, I think the OP posted it not for a chance to see if others thought there was a double standard but as a way to hoist herself up on a pedestal and shake her finger at everyone else who thinks those posts are fun. I have no patience for those holier-than-thou type posts. If she had simply presented the topic as an actual question without the finger pointing I would have answered as such.

I have appreciated your feedback on this topic bethany

niez, I felt you answered it with class and grace. The difference between how you did and how the OP posed the question in the first place is because you did not make it a shame on you reply when you posted. You did not make insinuations that this board was not fit for the proper eyes of your friends. You posted your opinion but also acknowledged that you get the intentions of those that post in those threads.

FTR I have never posted a kilt pic or a hey girl pic, but it still rubs me the wrong way for someone to try and "prove" they are better than someone else because they haven't participated in that fun.

Okay, it was worth starting this thread just for post #94.

Thanks for your thoughts.

The posts that agree with our perspective are usually the most fun, aren't they? :001_smile:

At the same time, I can see why people feel you are discounting opinions that don't agree with yours, hence the JAWM tag. {where's the little shrugging smiley when you need it?}

Am I terribly naughty to have this urge to post some pictures of men in kilts to lighten up this thread?:D:auto:

I think you should go for it! At the same time, you just have to go into it *fully aware* that some will find it inappropriate. ;)

ETA: But then again, I don't think there's one single thing that everyone can get on board with. We have a wide variety here...that's the beauty, huh?