Menu

Whitney Houston...Dead at 48

It's sad, but it's not at all surprising, considering her history. I haven't heard the cause of death yet, but I would guess it was probably something stemming from her drug use, whether it was an overdose or a health condition related to her years of addiction.

I remember seeing Oprah interview her several years ago, when she'd supposedly gotten clean and was attempting a comeback. I thought she looked lovely, but the more I listened to the interview, the less I liked Whitney. She never really acknowledged that she was in any way to blame for her issues, and I remember having thought at the time that if she wasn't still secretly using drugs, she would be using them again soon. She may have changed her attitude since then, but I haven't paid any attention to her or her career in years, unless something came on the news about her or something.

The saddest thing is that she has been such a terrible role model for her dd. I'm sure she loved her very much, but I read somewhere a while ago that the dd was already using drugs (apparently there were photos or videos of her using them.)

I think I feel sorriest for her mom, Cissy Houston, because it sounds like she tried over and over again to help Whitney get off the drugs, and no matter what she did, Whitney would always go right back to the same environment, the same loser friends, and the same drugs.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm sorry that she passed away. She was a beautiful and very talented woman in her prime. But in all honesty, people die every day of terrible illnesses and accidents that they didn't do anything to bring on. Whitney Houston had everything to live for, and every possible resource at her disposal to help her if she ever really wanted to conquer her addictions, so if it turns out that her death was drug-related, I will feel a lot less sorry for her than for someone who suffered and died from a disease like cancer.

Edited by Catwoman

It's sad, but it's not at all surprising, considering her history. I haven't heard the cause of death yet, but I would guess it was probably something stemming from her drug use, whether it was an overdose or a health condition related to her years of addiction.

I remember seeing Oprah interview her several years ago, when she'd supposedly gotten clean and was attempting a comeback. I thought she looked lovely, but the more I listened to the interview, the less I liked Whitney. She never really acknowledged that she was in any way to blame for her issues, and I remember having thought at the time that if she wasn't still secretly using drugs, she would be using them again soon. She may have changed her attitude since then, but I haven't paid any attention to her or her career in years, unless something came on the news about her or something.

The saddest thing is that she has been such a terrible role model for her dd. I'm sure she loved her very much, but I read somewhere a while ago that the dd was already using drugs (apparently there were photos or videos of her using them.)

I think I feel sorriest for her mom, Cissy Houston, because it sounds like she tried over and over again to help Whitney get off the drugs, and no matter what she did, Whitney would always go right back to the same environment, the same loser friends, and the same drugs.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm sorry that she passed away. She was a beautiful and very talented woman in her prime. But in all honesty, people die every day of terrible illnesses and accidents that they didn't do anything to bring on. Whitney Houston had everything to live for, and every possible resource at her disposal to help her if she ever really wanted to conquer her addictions, so if it turns out that her death was drug-related, I will feel a lot less sorry for her than for someone who suffered and died from a disease like cancer.

:iagree:

Don't get me wrong -- I'm sorry that she passed away. She was a beautiful and very talented woman in her prime.

I remember that interview. She came off as rather haughty. I remember feeling distinctly disappointed by her words and behaviour, and thinking like Cat, that she would be back in the news for further drug use before too long.

And her voice was so very different. No sweetness, a narrower range. So great a talent... wasted. What a tragedy.

Mrs. Mungo is right - addiction is a terrible thing.

This gives me chills to this day. Unbelievable talent:(

Rest in peace, Whitney.

Lisa

Just watched that. Absolutely amazing. And what about this one?

Regardless of the way her life ended, this song still inspires me.

I believe the children are our future

Teach them well and let them lead the way

Show them all the beauty they possess inside

Give them a sense of pride to make it easier

Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

I just read that both her aunt, Dionne Warwick, and her mom spoke with Whitney on the phone shortly before she died and apparently, Whitney seemed fine. I wonder what happened to her. I have to admit that it's hard not to suspect drugs, but she also could have choked on something, had a heart attack, or had an aneurysm burst -- it sounds like she was planning to attend Clive Davis' pre-Grammy party tonight, and that she didn't seem ill at all.

It's so scary how suddenly something tragic can happen.

Edited by Catwoman
fixed a typo, and then realized I'd gotten it right the first time! :D

I just read that both her aunt, Dionne Warwick, and her mom spoke with Whitney on the phone shortly before she died and apparently, Whitney seemed fine. I wonder what happened to her. I have to admit that it's hard not to suspect drugs, but she also could have choked on something, had a heart attack, or had an aneurysm burst -- it sounds like she was planning to attend Clive Davis' pre-Grammy party tonight, and that she didn't seem ill at all.

It's so scary how suddenly something tragic can happen.

:iagree: