Menu

DS20--Teach? Interpret? What to do?

Brindee

My ds20 is very strong in languages. He always did well with English grammar, is fluent in Spanish, and knows some Russian, French and German. He's taking sign language at the CC right now, and may also take some more German. He wants to go into some kind of Translation/Interpretation, or maybe teach Highschool languages and/or English and/or ESL.

Do any of you know what he'd need to do for Translation/Interpretation jobs? We're looking to see what's available, so thought I'd see if anyone here has any experience or ideas in any of these areas.

Thank you for any thoughts or ideas you may be able to share!

The training to become an interpreter and/or translator (the 1st is the spoken word, the 2nd is the written word) is quite different than the training needed to become a high school teacher. The level of proficiency and language skills required for interpreting is light years beyond what is needed to teach the language. There are many non-degree programs available that train people who are proficient in the language to become interpreters. I've provided links to a couple just as examples of two in my state. I'm not necessarily recommending them as I don't know what constitutes a quality program and if they meet that criteria.

http://www.umass.edu/ug_programguide/interpreter.html

http://professional.bu.edu/programs/interpreter/

Your son should do lots of research to find out what type of interpreting he wants to do, what credentials are needed in his chosen field, and what programs provide the credentials and training needed for the type of interpreting he'd like to do.

Whereas the programs above provide a certificate, the link below is to a program leading to a BA, MA and doctorate in interpreting and/or translating. I believe it is (or at least used to be) one of the most highly regarded programs. It is the one offered through the University of Geneva:

http://www.unige.ch/international/etudageneve/acadstruct/eti_en.html

He might also want to check out the Monterey School of Languages:

http://www.miis.edu/academics/programs/gstile

Although this is for graduate study only, it is a great source of information specific to interpreting and translating. I hope this helps start the research process.

Best of luck in your research into this very rich, rewarding, and challenging field.

Yolanda

The training to become an interpreter and/or translator (the 1st is the spoken word, the 2nd is the written word) is quite different than the training needed to become a high school teacher. The level of proficiency and language skills required for interpreting is light years beyond what is needed to teach the language. There are many non-degree programs available that train people who are proficient in the language to become interpreters.

My friend's son is pursuing this field. He has a double major in Spanish and Linguistics. His next step is grad school. Apparently a background is in Linguistics is helpful for translators.

Professional translation and interpreting is typically specialized. For example, court interpreters (:D) rarely do written technical translations, and vice-versa.

The first prerequisite is absolute proficiency in the foreign language, which can, but does not have to, be acquired by advanced degrees in the language. At the very least one typically has to have a formal recognition of the highest level (C2 in European terms) in a foreign language on internationally recognized exams for that language - and then one can begin the process of further specialization for translating and interpreting.

And then it gets FUN! You have to learn all the terminology you would deal with in both languages (e.g. if you deal with court stuff, you need to know the equivalents of all courts and stuff in both languages, how terms from a different legal tradition are translated, etc.), which typically involves some exams on the field itself - and that is for translation only.

Most people translate into their mother tongue, still. Translating into a foreign language is a more difficult task.

Interpreting is insanely difficult and a whole 'nother beast. Few people can handle that because it requires excellent concentration, prompt reactions (unless you do consecutive and have a few extra seconds to think of words), on the top of good knowledge.

People typically specialize ONE combination, regardless of how many languages they speak, their L1 is typically their mother tongue, and their L2 typically the foreign language they know best. Some work with L3 too, but I do not know anyone who works on a high level with more than that. Most people from the field I know do "know" some 6-7 languages (and know better than amateurs), but actively work with only one combination, because it is a whole different level of proficiency, nuanced understanding and competence you need to work on that.

If you are good and work your way up to international tribunals, EU organizations, UN, etc., it pays well. But the competition is fierce, too, if you are ambitious. "Knowing a language" is no big deal in anyone's eyes in this world, you have to stand out.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it is good to have an "exotic" combination - less competition, higher prices, etc. But once you settle, settle and work on that combination, rather than exploring all the other options.

In any case, your son should do a lot of research in advance to pinpoint what exactly he wants to do - it is a very wide field. But an interesting one. ;)

Thank you soooo much! All of your answers are VERY helpful! He, sad to say, is not that ambitious, but I will be giving him this info. He majored in Spanish his freshman year, then went to a University in Mexico for a year. Those two universities in two different countries did not accept each others classes really, so he's like a sophomore this year, and going to the local CC to do mkore pre-req.s. His classwork and job at the Uni in Mexico were all in Spanish, and he had very little trouble understanding. Spanish will be the language he will want to work with.

RIT in Rochester hosts the National Technical Institute for the Deaf. I would guess that they probably also have Deaf Education opportunities. Maybe you could contact someone there and see if you can get more information on careers/education in sign language/interpreting. Best of luck to your son!

Brenda

Thank you, I will have him look into this!

The training to become an interpreter and/or translator (the 1st is the spoken word, the 2nd is the written word) is quite different than the training needed to become a high school teacher. The level of proficiency and language skills required for interpreting is light years beyond what is needed to teach the language. There are many non-degree programs available that train people who are proficient in the language to become interpreters. I've provided links to a couple just as examples of two in my state. I'm not necessarily recommending them as I don't know what constitutes a quality program and if they meet that criteria.

http://www.umass.edu/ug_programguide/interpreter.html

http://professional.bu.edu/programs/interpreter/

Your son should do lots of research to find out what type of interpreting he wants to do, what credentials are needed in his chosen field, and what programs provide the credentials and training needed for the type of interpreting he'd like to do.

Whereas the programs above provide a certificate, the link below is to a program leading to a BA, MA and doctorate in interpreting and/or translating. I believe it is (or at least used to be) one of the most highly regarded programs. It is the one offered through the University of Geneva:

http://www.unige.ch/international/etudageneve/acadstruct/eti_en.html

He might also want to check out the Monterey School of Languages:

http://www.miis.edu/academics/programs/gstile

Although this is for graduate study only, it is a great source of information specific to interpreting and translating. I hope this helps start the research process.

Best of luck in your research into this very rich, rewarding, and challenging field.

Yolanda

Thank you, this is great information! Hoping I can get him going on researching these links!

My friend's son is pursuing this field. He has a double major in Spanish and Linguistics. His next step is grad school. Apparently a background is in Linguistics is helpful for translators.
Thank you, I don't believe he has taken Linguistics??? We'll have to look that up and see what all it entails. Bad us, we should know more about this! :tongue_smilie: This is good to know!

Professional translation and interpreting is typically specialized. For example, court interpreters (:D) rarely do written technical translations, and vice-versa.

The first prerequisite is absolute proficiency in the foreign language, which can, but does not have to, be acquired by advanced degrees in the language. At the very least one typically has to have a formal recognition of the highest level (C2 in European terms) in a foreign language on internationally recognized exams for that language - and then one can begin the process of further specialization for translating and interpreting.

And then it gets FUN! You have to learn all the terminology you would deal with in both languages (e.g. if you deal with court stuff, you need to know the equivalents of all courts and stuff in both languages, how terms from a different legal tradition are translated, etc.), which typically involves some exams on the field itself - and that is for translation only.

Most people translate into their mother tongue, still. Translating into a foreign language is a more difficult task.

Interpreting is insanely difficult and a whole 'nother beast. Few people can handle that because it requires excellent concentration, prompt reactions (unless you do consecutive and have a few extra seconds to think of words), on the top of good knowledge.

People typically specialize ONE combination, regardless of how many languages they speak, their L1 is typically their mother tongue, and their L2 typically the foreign language they know best. Some work with L3 too, but I do not know anyone who works on a high level with more than that. Most people from the field I know do "know" some 6-7 languages (and know better than amateurs), but actively work with only one combination, because it is a whole different level of proficiency, nuanced understanding and competence you need to work on that.

If you are good and work your way up to international tribunals, EU organizations, UN, etc., it pays well. But the competition is fierce, too, if you are ambitious. "Knowing a language" is no big deal in anyone's eyes in this world, you have to stand out.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it is good to have an "exotic" combination - less competition, higher prices, etc. But once you settle, settle and work on that combination, rather than exploring all the other options.

In any case, your son should do a lot of research in advance to pinpoint what exactly he wants to do - it is a very wide field. But an interesting one. ;)

Thank you! His L2 is definitely Spanish.

Exotic:

I know that if he learned Arabic, it'd get him some jobs..... but he's not wanting to head where that would lead him! ;)

We went to Fiji for two weeks when he was 14. By the time we left he was speaking sentences in Fijian, able to carry on conversations, and could read some words and sentences. So that's exotic! :D But I'm sure he's forgotten most of it, and knowing that language probably wouldn't get him TOO far! :D

But seriously, thank you so much for your suggestions/advice!

I'm hoping everyones suggestions and links will help light a fire under him! :001_smile: Thanks again everyone!

Is he going on to a four year school? Sometimes language majors, especially those with multiple languages can get jobs in intelligence.
I didn't see this before, sorry!

He went to a 4-year Uni his freshman year (2009-2010) and majored in Spanish. Then he went to a Uni in Mexico for the 2010-2011 school year. Can't major in Spanish there, so he majored in Education. Problem is those credits really don't transfer back to the US, since they run their system differently.

Thank you, I'll have him look into that!

If he's even slightly interested in teaching, I'd encourage him to at least minor in Ed. Here the cc profs are required to have 18hrs of education credit (basically a minor) to be able to teach there.
Good plan! He's at a CC this year, so just getting more basics. But if he got an AA in an education related field that'd probably be good! Thank you!

I had a college friend who took her English PhD and went to work for....the Foreign Service. She had French and German (a bit) and they tried to teach her Korean to send her to the Embassy in S. Korea - that fell through, so she was taught Arabic and sent to Tunis. She has had many postings since then - an ability to pick up languages is a definite plus. Has he thought of applying to the State Dept. after graduation to perhaps work abroad????

I had a college friend who took her English PhD and went to work for....the Foreign Service. She had French and German (a bit) and they tried to teach her Korean to send her to the Embassy in S. Korea - that fell through, so she was taught Arabic and sent to Tunis. She has had many postings since then - an ability to pick up languages is a definite plus. Has he thought of applying to the State Dept. after graduation to perhaps work abroad????
Interesting! Yeah, he'd rather not head that direction (Arabic). But the State Dept. is one place he'll definitely need to at least check! Thank you!