Menu

Our fellow boardie Tammyla needs prayers . . .

Isn't it in Indiana? There are floods other places as well!

I *think* the major 500 year flooding that is taking place today is in the Cedar Rapids, Iowa area. I could be wrong, though. Whichever, my thoughts are with Tammy and everyone else going through this. How awful!!

Thanks for posting this Jackie. Are you in touch with her somehow? Will you post an update if you hear one?

Robin

Praying here. Can anyone tell me where this is? Our cable has been out and we aren't getting any news here.

I'm not sure where Tammyla is located, but the major flooding right now is in central and eastern Iowa - Cedar Rapids & surrounding towns, Iowa City, Des Moines. There's also flooding in Wisconsin, but I'm not sure of which areas.

I'll be praying for Tammyla and her family here.

I *think* the major 500 year flooding that is taking place today is in the Cedar Rapids, Iowa area. I could be wrong, though. Whichever, my thoughts are with Tammy and everyone else going through this. How awful!!

Thanks for posting this Jackie. Are you in touch with her somehow? Will you post an update if you hear one?

Robin

Yes, she is in Iowa.

She pm'ed me and asked for prayer.

I hope she is able to check in soon; she wasn't posting from home.

I've passed on to her that you all are praying. Here's a pm that I've just received:

hi jackie. the river crested today. our home is not flooded so we are blessed and thankful. hubby office is flooded along with so many others. this is heartbreaking. the water shortage now seems cazy. we are also experiencing ulilitie shortages and outages. no internet but dhs treo phone let's me pm without board access. thank you for praying and please pass on my thanks. tammy

I have pics in my blog today. You can also see coverage from CNN.com. My blog is also linked from CBS.com today in their flood coverage in the "sphere" link.

http://www.lifewithmy3boybarians.com/2008/06/500-year-floods-images-from-iowa.html

Cedar Rapids has 8-10 feet of water downtown. Des Moines has issued a "precautionary evacuation" but so far, the levies are holding tight. Much of downtown has water spilling over... but not to the levels that Cedar Rapids has.

My family is dry and safe. Our only risk is of isolation. To get to shopping, work, etc., it is necessary to pass over bridges. The water is about to spill over these bridges; if so, those roads will be closed and we would be temporarily cut off.

The same is not true of many families along Iowa's 9 rivers. Many have been forced out, lost power or water or both. Des Moines learned a lot from the Floods of '93 - and while the water may be the same, the effects are not. Our Water Works is so well reinforced it looked like a sole island surrounded completely by water. Yet, thankfully - it's working. Cedar Rapids wasn't hit as hard 15 years ago, and just wasn't ready for this kind of water. There are homes 2 miles from the rivers that are underwater. No one expects that so far back in a city.

Thank to everyone who is holding Iowans in their prayers. My thoughts are also with those in Wisconsin... and in the upcoming days - those in the Mississippi Valley/ St. Louis area. What comes down must... well... go down stream.

Warmly,

I grew up in Cedar Rapids my whole life. All day today, when I have called friends back there, the phones have been out. I am also curious as to how my old childhood home is doing. My prayers will be with Tammyla and everyone there.

Hello and thank you everyone for the thoughts and prayers. Our utilities are in and out, but DSL is back on for now.

This has been a stressful few days, I'm about done for...and that weather alarm...ugh. Sandbagging for friends and moving things up to the top floors while hoping and praying for the entire city and Midwest. A few of our friends have lost their homes and will need to begin again. The coming days and weeks are going to be busy as we all work to restore and in many cases rebuild.

There are still a number of cities waiting for their area to crest. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

I'm tired and wishing for a long hot shower. I'm looking forward to doing the dishes and laundry again, but that could be a while. We are on super water restrictions using paper plates and drinking bottled water. So, for now I'm happy the rain stopped and we are still in our home with limited power and water.

Oh, and I'm very proud of my teen. We are volunteering at a shelter. Times like this can really open your eyes to your blessings. So many people have only what they could carry with them. So much loss. My ds wants to adopt some of the animals and we may take in a pup or two tomorrow.

Thank you, thank you for those thoughts and prayers.

Hello and thank you everyone for the thoughts and prayers. Our utilities are in and out, but DSL is back on for now.

This has been a stressful few days, I'm about done for...and that weather alarm...ugh. Sandbagging for friends and moving things up to the top floors while hoping and praying for the entire city and Midwest. A few of our friends have lost their homes and will need to begin again. The coming days and weeks are going to be busy as we all work to restore and in many cases rebuild.

There are still a number of cities waiting for their area to crest. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

I'm tired and wishing for a long hot shower. I'm looking forward to doing the dishes and laundry again, but that could be a while. We are on super water restrictions using paper plates and drinking bottled water. So, for now I'm happy the rain stopped and we are still in our home with limited power and water.

Oh, and I'm very proud of my teen. We are volunteering at a shelter. Times like this can really open your eyes to your blessings. So many people have only what they could carry with them. So much loss. My ds wants to adopt some of the animals and we may take in a pup or two tomorrow.

Thank you, thank you for those thoughts and prayers.

Holding you close here...you and those whose situations are even more difficult. Courage to you, and some return to normalcy sooner than later.

(((Tammyla)))

I grew up in Cedar Rapids my whole life. All day today, when I have called friends back there, the phones have been out. I am also curious as to how my old childhood home is doing. My prayers will be with Tammyla and everyone there.

Summer, let me know where the house is (you can pm me or post it) and I'll find out for you. The flood was mainly in the downtown area. The Library, Smulechof's, The Science Station, Czech Village and the Island, court house are flooded as well as the Ellis Park area.

I hope you are able to contact your friends soon.

:grouphug: Thanks Jackie...I'm getting teary reading all the replies. Now that I have time to sit down and think/remember this it's too much. I'm off to hug my not so little people.

I've passed on to her that you all are praying. Here's a pm that I've just received:

hi jackie. the river crested today. our home is not flooded so we are blessed and thankful. hubby office is flooded along with so many others. this is heartbreaking. the water shortage now seems cazy. we are also experiencing ulilitie shortages and outages. no internet but dhs treo phone let's me pm without board access. thank you for praying and please pass on my thanks. tammy

My sister lives near Cedar Rapids, her house itself is on high ground but is surrounded by water...no phones, no power. They are able to charge the cellphone in the car at this point. She was going to canoe down the road to try to move some of her beehives (not on her property) to higher ground. :sad:

Glad you were able to check-in Tammy. :grouphug:

Do you know where?

Oh, Stacey...We wish we were in LA, but we are up here.

The city water restrictions may not be enough. I hope we don't loose what little water we have. A nice long vacation sounds real nice about now.

If any of you have water saving tips for anything.. cooking, bathing (we wish) etc. please pass them along. We are going out this morning to purchase more bottled water.

On a happy note..the home we helped sandbag only flooded in the basement.

Tammy, I'm glad you are okay. I was born in CR and lived in Center Point as a child. I have a db, grandma, and cousin that all live in CR. As far as I know, they have been okay. To make it all even better, my parents, another db, and his dw (who has never been to Iowa and will be celebrating their 1 yr anniversary there on Monday) happen to be there right now for a cousin's graduation party and Eagle Scout court of honor. My parents did manage to get to the airport on Thursday to pick up my db and his dw.

I just keep looking at those pictures and am shocked at how bad it is. And now they are talking about Des Moines flooding which is where I lived for awhile after college!

My prayers are with everyone there. I think Iowans have a lot to be proud of in the way they are handling it all.

Oh, my...I'm glad to hear they are all okay. The pictures are stunning, seeing it is even worse. (It stinks...literally.)

We are getting more rain...I can't believe it. The skies were blue an hour ago.

Tammy, I'm glad you are okay. I was born in CR and lived in Center Point as a child. I have a db, grandma, and cousin that all live in CR. As far as I know, they have been okay. To make it all even better, my parents, another db, and his dw (who has never been to Iowa and will be celebrating their 1 yr anniversary there on Monday) happen to be there right now for a cousin's graduation party and Eagle Scout court of honor. My parents did manage to get to the airport on Thursday to pick up my db and his dw.

I just keep looking at those pictures and am shocked at how bad it is. And now they are talking about Des Moines flooding which is where I lived for awhile after college!

My prayers are with everyone there. I think Iowans have a lot to be proud of in the way they are handling it all.