Menu

Periungual Warts

My 4 year old has one of these right up against the side of his fingernail. At first, I thought it was just skin damage from his constant biting of his nails (a habit we finally broke). I thought it might heal with time. Instead of getting better, it has gotten worse and has become obvious that it is a wart. It's growing larger/taller and rough and looks just like a regular wart except in shape due to its location.

I know the doctor's offices like to treat warts by freezing them. I also know that's rather painful. I think this one's location would make freezing it more difficult, more painful, and less successful. He's also pretty sensitive with cold to begin with.

Has anyone successfully treated these? What do you think would be best for a 4 year old? Any chance it will just go away on its own?

Funny story, but probably not particularly helpful.......

My younger ds had a wart growing under his fingernail. The dr was really reluctant to treat it because it would be so painful. We took the wait and see approach with an appt to go back in a few months.

A few weeks later we were visiting family and went bowling. Ds could not keep his hands away from the ball return area despite repeated warnings. Low and behold he got his warty finger pinched between two balls. The wart split open, bled like crazy, but when it healed - no more wart.

We ended up keeping the follow-up dr appt for a different reason, and the dr was thrilled to see the wart gone! He was going to recommend our treatment to his other patients!

So, absolutely no help... Unless you want to smash your little one's finger?

Apple Cider Vinegar ... Cotton ball soaked with it at night and a bandaid. Seems to work well. I used it on a finger wart that was in a sensitive place. It took a few weeks, but it worked. The acid basically ate the skin.

We had that same result with tea tree oil. It works, but it looks gross while it heals.

Ok, I won't be smashing his finger or burning it. LOL

Apple Cider Vinegar ... Cotton ball soaked with it at night and a bandaid. Seems to work well. I used it on a finger wart that was in a sensitive place. It took a few weeks, but it worked. The acid basically ate the skin.

If the vinegar eats the skin wouldn't you want to make sure it was only on the wart? I can't see isolating it that well.

We had that same result with tea tree oil. It works, but it looks gross while it heals.

I could see using tea tree. Just worried about too much absorption in the good skin since you aren't suppose to use it full strength topically. Hmmmm....

The vinegar will eat the skin too, but it's not that bad. I had them all around every finger nail when I was in my teens. After many dry ice treatments that hurt so bad I had to have days off school, but didn't fix them, my Mum took me to a dermatologist. The ones further from my nail he injected under, the warts died from underneath and fell off, brilliant! The ones too close for that, I got some very powerful acid type stuff to put on them, all my skin in that area got wrinkly and nasty, but it fixed the warts and did not scar the skin.

Dd had one under her big toenail. We took her to a pediatric derm who put something called dcpc on it in increasing concentrations every 3weeks for several months. It worked! This is not beetle juice, which some confuse it with. There was no pain or anything. It looked like she put a drop of water on every time.

Duct tape of all things. It smothers the wart.

Yes! Just cover it and leave it on until the tape falls off and then re-cover it again and again. We're working on a wart now that has been covered for about two weeks Ans it's finally beginning to disappear. Our ped gave us this advice years ago and it has worked everytime. He also tells the kids to pick at it during bathtime.

We recently had luck with Mediplast on a stubborn plantar wart on the ball of dd2's foot. I had tried various other things for months, and there's no way she'd sit still for getting it frozen. Mediplast is medicated sticky stuff that you buy in a small rectangle (99 cents) from the pharmacist. Cut out a circle the same size as the wart, and attach with waterproof tape (or duct tape, though we really struggled with getting any tape to stick to that little foot!). It still took a few weeks of religious taping :glare:

My friend just dealt with this with her ds. They'd tried just about everything, but it wouldn't go away so she also tried the apple cider vinegar and it worked. She put some on a cotton ball and and held it on with a bandaid I think. She didn't have any issues with the surrounding skin.

I mixed a few drops of tea tree oil in there. Worked like a charm. The warty thing under my fingernail was gone in 3 days....just dried up and fell out.:D

I have one on my finger at the moment. I tried the duct tape trick, which shrank it, but wouldn't kill it completely. I found some thuja cream at the health shop and figured it worth a try. It's not quite gone, but is much smaller than weeks of duct tape treatment had reduced it to.

Rosie

I had a little wart by my fingernail a few months or maybe a year ago -- and I'd had it months before I realized what it was. I tried the AC Vinegar, and it worked VERY well. Saturate a bit of cotton, then tape it on with a band aid or other tape. Seal it over so it keeps the wetness against it. Leave on overnight if feasible.

It kills the wart -- turns it BLACK, then it falls out. It'll actually leave a little hole in the healthy skin where the wart was! Weird as all get out, but it works awesome.

Bad thing: It hurts like heck. It throbbed and was very painful. As soon as you remove the AC Vinegar, the pain goes away in minutes. Some people apparently just treat it for a few minutes at a time a few times a day. Some people don't find it so painful. But, for me it was both very painful, and also completely worth it! I did it for 3-8 hours (as long as I could stand it) over night for a few nights, and bye-bye wart forever!

It just took 3 or 5 nights to totally kill the wart. Then it was black, fell out, left a hole, healthy skin healed right up, and no more wart. Ever.

My dd had a wart on her foot that we treated with duct tape, and that worked very well. It is much slower -- too several weeks, but it is pain free. For young kids, that might be wiser if the AC vinegar is painful. Or, you could treat with the AC vinegar for a few minutes once a day, and then cover in DT all the other time. That's what I'd try.

Maybe 5 years ago, my then 3 yo daughter had a wart epidemic - 36 warts in all!

We took her to a dermatologist after trying duct tape and some OTC stuff. He froze them and blistered them, but nothing worked at all. Finally he gave us a prescription for some weird cream that has some role in skin cancer treatment. My scientist husband read up on this stuff and declared that there was no way we should use it.

Finally we heard about apple cider vinegar. The procedure that we followed was as follows: Cut a small piece of cotton makeup removal pad to fit the wart - you don't want any overhang, especially where your son's wart is. Saturate the piece in ACV and tape to the wart (or use a bandaid). Do this every evening for 3 days, and then take a 2 week break. Repeat after 2 weeks if the warts haven't turned black and fallen off.

With my dd, one wart turned black and fell off, and then all the rest just died - after only 3 days! My son currently has some huge warts right along his fingernails. We have treated them once and they don't look good, but they will need another treatment. I so hope it works - warts are super tricky to kill sometimes.

Good luck to you!

Edited by Sunkirst
clarification