Menu

Ryan Gosling homeschool thing: Am I the only one who hates it?

I think it speaks very poorly of homeschoolers. I don't understand why so many homeschoolers think it is funny.

Of course, I don't mind eating Cheerios from a measuring cut with a ladle for dinner...Netflix is more important than cooking or cleaning.

Really? Portraying us as moms this neglectful is funny?

I understand that you didn't have time to do school today because you were too busy 'pinning' ideas onto your Pinterest homeschooling board.

Really? It's funny to say homeschool moms waste their day away while their kids do...what?

The kids said you only spent 30 minutes on school today...I know it was at least twice that amount.

Again, another suggestion that we are lazy and neglectful.

Honestly, I take homeschooling seriously. I don't like be portrayed as a lazy bum using homeschooling as a cover. I think homeschoolers get a bad rap already. I don't find encouraging these thoughts funny.

Am I the only one who thinks this way?

Edited by joannqn

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dh was dying laughing reading them, but he did ask, between gasps, "Won't some hsers be offended?" I said, "Of course. Everything offends someone."

My dh loved the ones about money. We have to laugh at ourselves. He laughed at the bra and Shakespeare one, which was my favorite, but he said, "You always smell good and don't need a bra." I love him. lol

The laminating one is offensive. You're killing seals and baby polar bears with that stuff. ;)

Edited by LibraryLover

What if you have no idea who Ryan Gosling is??? :001_smile:

It doesn't matter. I wasn't sure who he was at first, either, nor did dh. Knowing he was a popular actor many women find attractive was enough. I told dh it was about things some hsing moms wish their husbands would say.

"I want to listen to you talk about Charlotte Mason. All night." I'm sorry, that's hilarious.

Plus, I have told a crabbing kid, "Call Dad at work and complain about math, I'm all set."

Edited by LibraryLover

It doesn't matter. I wasn't sure who he was at first, either, nor did dh. Knowing it was a popular actor was enough. I told it was about things some hsing moms wish their husbands would say.

"I want to listen to you talk about Charlotte Mason. All night." I'm sorry, that's hilarious.

Plus, I have told a crabbing kid to, "Call Dad at work and complain about math, I'm all set."

I think we like it because it conveys unconditional love and acceptance of mom, even with the ridiculous things he says.

I liked the ones posted here a while back. I think the Latin root study one was my favorite. I don't find these ones particularly funny as written. Eating out of odd things because my children have been running wild all day happens. Netflix does not. I don't find them horribly bothersome. I just don't think they are funny.

I must be twisted because I find them hysterical. The one about throwing some meat in the crock pot had me laughing out loud.

They are written by homeschoolers in imitation of the "Hey Girl" Ryan Gosling meme. That original meme has spawned several other Ryan Gosling memes, the homeschool one being the latest.

Oh, I just thought it was funny the way that I think the Tim Hawkins homeschool youtube thing is funny, and the "I'm the Mom" song is funny, and the latest greatest, "Seven Lies About Homeschoolers" is funny. And, at least for us there is a small enough measure of truth in enough of them to make me smile.

Like, I really cannot have a day in which I do an excellent job manage homeschooling, the laundry, cooking, and getting the house neat. I just can't do all those things in one day. And there are plenty of days we get to 5:00 and I haven't even thought about dinner. And my kids do have crazy stuff going on outside sometimes - amazingly creative contraptions, forts, underground dwellings, etc. And boy, if my husband wanted to rock my socks, he could mount some white boards any time, any where. I do believe a window seat might just send me over the edge. We might not spend the whole day watching the Ken Burns Civil War documentary, but we certainly can get involved in some pretty riveting stuff that other people just don't "get" like watching the webcam of an eagle nest, or researching pistol shrimp, or the science behind yogurt making, etc. And, although we have a school room, we do end up at the dining room table 4 days out of 5. We relocate the books and eat dinner at the table, but for most of the day, the table is totally covered in books. For us, the inkjet thing is totally true, not because of lapbooks, but because of other stuff. And I do love my laminator. I will say the bit about the library fines is more painful than I'd like to admit, but my sweet husband says we'd spend a lot more if we had to buy all those books. Anyway, I could go on.

The point is that the stereotypes are just funny to me. It's okay if they're not funny to you. But just because they make me laugh out loud doesn't mean I don't take homeschooling seriously. To each his own!

Ibby did some for me with gray- haired Sean Connery in a kilt.

These are ones I could definitely get into. Whoo Hoo.

I think some of them are stupid, some are okay, others are really funny. I love the one about not putting on a bra all day because it is literally true in this house. The 4 hour Target trip being educational is good because even my 4 year old knows Target is my favorite store.

I don't completely understand the whole meme thing. Maybe I'm too old to get it. Why Ryan Gosling? I mean, he's kind of cute but so are a ton of other actors. Is there some role he played that makes these memes make more sense using him?

I don't completely understand the whole meme thing. Maybe I'm too old to get it. Why Ryan Gosling? I mean, he's kind of cute but so are a ton of other actors. Is there some role he played that makes these memes make more sense using him?

:iagree: The bolded parts are especially what I wonder? Who is Ryan Gosling, anyway? :lol: If I was writing them I'd go with Gerard Butler. :D

:iagree: The bolded parts are especially what I wonder? Who is Ryan Gosling, anyway? :lol: If I was writing them I'd go with Gerard Butler. :D

Wasn't he mentioned on the other thread, as was Johnny Depp, Sean Connery (I believe) and several others. I think Ryan Gossling's cute, but I would have preferred pictures of my husband. :) :) :)

These are ones I could definitely get into. Whoo Hoo.

I think some of them are stupid, some are okay, others are really funny. I love the one about not putting on a bra all day because it is literally true in this house. The 4 hour Target trip being educational is good because even my 4 year old knows Target is my favorite store.

It has become kind of a joke to make a Ryan Gosling meme about, oh, anything :lol::

http://socialtimes.com/ryan-gosling-meme_b87004

Really? It's funny to say homeschool moms waste their day away while their kids do...what?

Play? Watch videos? I would think most homeschoolers have "those days" sometimes.

What if you have no idea who Ryan Gosling is??? :001_smile:

Then you may be a tad too closed off from popular culture.

eta: Note I said "a tad" :)

I thought they were funny too. Some days, I really do wish dh would come in and say "Hey girl, I know you've had a long day. It's okay that you watched netflix for school this afternoon." :tongue_smilie:

Play? Watch videos? I would think most homeschoolers have "those days" sometimes.

We've watched Netflix for school as well. In fact, I even consider Cake Boss educational because we are suppose to teach "career education" in this state. But we don't do it to the exclusion of everything else like these things suggest. I still feed the kids those days.

Would it be just as funny if a competitive working mom said those things to you? "Yeah, I know you stay at home moms have just the toughest, most stressful days. It's ok if you sat on your @ss all day watching Netflix and fed your kids Cheerios for dinner. I know how hard you have it." I've seen the mommy wars. I've seen the outrage when someone's husband has some home and asked "What do you do all day?" Why is it funny on a Ryan Gosling photo but not when another woman or your husband says it.

I don't think it's saying that we are lazy or neglectful... I think the reason it's funny is that it's mocking the idea that our fantasy is to have a sexy man affirm us and understand even at our worst or most driven moments. Which is both true in some ways, but also completely silly because the disconnect is totally bizarre. The idea of someone talking about Charlotte Mason, laminating, Pinterest, dirty dishes or any of that in a sexy voice is just funny. Or, at least, it is to me.

We've watched Netflix for school as well. In fact, I even consider Cake Boss educational because we are suppose to teach "career education" in this state. But we don't do it to the exclusion of everything else like these things suggest. I still feed the kids those days.

Would it be just as funny if a competitive working mom said those things to you? "Yeah, I know you stay at home moms have just the toughest, most stressful days. It's ok if you sat on your @ss all day watching Netflix and fed your kids Cheerios for dinner. I know how hard you have it." I've seen the mommy wars. I've seen the outrage when someone's husband has some home and asked "What do you do all day?" Why is it funny on a Ryan Gosling photo but not when another woman or your husband says it.

I could certainly be wrong, but my assumption has been that it was a homeschooling mom who put this together. One of "us" poking fun at, well "us."

Because he's "saying" it as an affirmation of his eternal love and devotion to you. It's over the top - facetious even. And it is matched with these photos of this man who while I'd never heard of him, is definitely eye candy.

I don't think it's saying that we are lazy or neglectful... I think the reason it's funny is that it's mocking the idea that our fantasy is to have a sexy man affirm us and understand even at our worst or most driven moments. Which is both true in some ways, but also completely silly because the disconnect is totally bizarre. The idea of someone talking about Charlotte Mason, laminating, Pinterest, dirty dishes or any of that in a sexy voice is just funny. Or, at least, it is to me.

Okay, so that makes sense. This thread has enlightened me about Ross Gosling. LOL.

I saw it and didn't have any kind of connection or understanding of the meme that was going around about it, so it just came across as sarcastic to me.

But it's not a mommy wars thing and it's not meant to be insulting. :confused:

Ryan Gosling's breakout role was 'the Notebook' - hailed as one of the most beautiful romantic stories in a loooong time. His character was loving and totally devoted to his true love. I assumed these meme's were more about this character... ie. I love you so much everything/anything you do is ok, it's just a privelige to come home to you :D

I found some of them hilarious, some of them 'meh'.

I never even saw it; I don't know what it is. But I agree, I don't appreciate being painted as lazy, neglectful, and unable to accomplish school. There's enough latent hostility to homeschooling out there without people perpetuating stereotypes. :glare:

:confused: You're commenting on something you've never even seen? Even though many of us don't think that it paints us that way at all? :confused:

:iagree:

I just read it and I had tears coming down my face. I was dying laughing!

I've had many of those days where I was so burnt out I DID pin things to my homeschool board while the kids just played. Now, the burnout is at bay and we're all back on track. But sometimes you need to chill and learn from the everyday.

I thought it was funny. I also take homeschooling VERY seriously. But that doesn't mean I can't laugh at the down times.

:iagree:

Thank you for this Farrar. DH wanted to know why I was pinning pictures of hot guys and I really couldn't figure out a way to explain it to him. I read him your description and he gets it better now.

A meme is just the Internet version of a fad. Like when all the girls in fifth grade started wearing a certain type of hair accessory. In theory, it could be something more meaningful, but usually it isn't.

DH (who's old enough to remember) says that these things are getting to be like the 70's all over again, only in an ironic DIY version. For instance, Lolcats = those posters with the cute kittens that said "Hang in there." Anyone remember those? So I figured this Ryan Whozitz was just the equivalent of some former teen pin-up like Shaun Cassidy or Leif Garrett.

I think the preoccupation with memes is probably a sign of the downfall of civilization, or at least anomie; cf. Emile Durkheim's theory of collective effervescence. Feel free to forward that, along with a funny spelling or silly photo. And send in the self-referential hipster clowns! :lurk5:

Ryan Gosling's breakout role was 'the Notebook' - hailed as one of the most beautiful romantic stories in a loooong time. His character was loving and totally devoted to his true love. I assumed these meme's were more about this character... ie. I love you so much everything/anything you do is ok, it's just a privelige to come home to you :D

I found some of them hilarious, some of them 'meh'.

I read the book, does that count? I can't do Nicholas Sparks stuff anymore. The most wonderful, perfect, beloved soulmate in the entire universe is inevitably going to DIE and somehow, the bereft partner will somehow soldier on. There's every Sparks novel ever wrtitten in a nutshell. :lol:

Except for the Richard Gere film. I did watch that one. Because frankly, I'd watch Richard Gere sell medicated duck feed for two hours if I had the opportunity. And if he did it semi-nude, I'd rent myself a hotel room all by myself for a weekend and watch it until my eyeballs fell out. :D

I think it speaks very poorly of homeschoolers. I don't understand why so many homeschoolers think it is funny.

Are you talking about the WTM Ryan Gosling thread on this forum, or the Ryan Gosling stuff that was on a different website?

The "originals" were cute, but I really loved the ones on this forum -- I kept going back to the thread and checking for updates!

I thought it was pretty funny. I don't want Fabio whisking me off to Paris, I want some guy desperate for me to explain which math curiculum I like best to him :lol::lol::lol:! That's romantic ;)!

There are too many horrible things in this life, I enjoy having a good laugh whenever I can.