Menu

Ryan Gosling homeschool thing: Am I the only one who hates it?

I don't have strong feelings one way or the other, but I did think one was hilarious. It said something like, "Hey girl, of course I want to stay up all night long talking about the pros and cons of Charlotte Mason vs Classical education." Or something like that.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conan O'Brien years ago gave an interview where he said something like that he really liked making a joke, then taking it too far so that it wasn't funny anymore, but then keeping it going so long that it came around to be funny AGAIN. For example, I'm pretty sure he wrote this classic bit from The Simpsons where Sideshow Bob gets hit by rakes over and over and over.

Anyway, memes are sort of like that to me. They're amusing. Then they're old. But then they keep going so long and so crazy, that they become funny again, sometimes, as in the case of the Ryan Gosling stuff, hilariously so.

Here's the Know Your Meme about the Gosling images. I actually think it doesn't do it justice, which is rare for Know Your Meme's extensive research, but whatever. I so don't know my memes. The whole My Little Pony thing is still baffling me.

Edited by farrarwilliams

Wasn't he mentioned on the other thread, as was Johnny Depp, Sean Connery (I believe) and several others. I think Ryan Gossling's cute, but I would have preferred pictures of my husband. :) :) :)

(threadjack) Cindy, I love your new avatar. You look beautiful with that angelic hair backlighting. Win for the photographer!

I don't have strong feelings one way or the other, but I did think one was hilarious. It said something like, "Hey girl, of course I want to stay up all night long talking about the pros and cons of Charlotte Mason vs Classical education." Or something like that.

I thought that one was funny, and some of the others too. I didn't really like the cereal with a ladle one, as I thought it also perpetuated a stereotype of homeschooling mothers/SAHMs in general being lazy. We all have less-than-productive days, but I thought some of them were a bit much.

I loved the homebirth one, though! "I'm just testing the placenta smoothy" -- LOL!

OK, if some people are offended by the Ryan Gosling homeschool thing, let's go back to another old thread that featured this...

http://wtfhub.com/2010/11/10-hilarious-lost-pet-flyers/

My favorites are the one with the possum... errr... CAT, and the one with the crazy-looking dog.

No insults to homeschoolers there... :D

(And FWIW, I didn't find any of the Ryan Gosling homeschooling stuff to be offensive, either.)

Edited by Catwoman

:confused: You're commenting on something you've never even seen? Even though many of us don't think that it paints us that way at all? :confused:

There were quotes at the beginning of the post, but if it makes you feel better, I went and saw the memes. I'm still not impressed. And just because "many of us" don't feel a certain way does not invalidate my opinion.

:confused:

There were quotes at the beginning of the post, but if it makes you feel better, I went and saw the memes. I'm still not impressed. And just because "many of us" don't feel a certain way does not invalidate my opinion.

:confused:

Of course feeling a certain way doesn't invalidate your opinion. But I don't get how anyone could have a valid opinion on something that they hadn't even looked at.

BTW - I "get" the joke and thought some were funny, some were groaners and some fell flat. But having said that I don't think they are so funny that I would pass them on or anything.

Of course feeling a certain way doesn't invalidate your opinion. But I don't get how anyone could have a valid opinion on something that they hadn't even looked at.

BTW - I "get" the joke and thought some were funny, some were groaners and some fell flat. But having said that I don't think they are so funny that I would pass them on or anything.

I just appreciate that different people find different things amusing. I shared them with my husband and posted them on my FB page. :)

Guest submarines

I saw a little book in a book store once, called "P*rn for women." It took me a while to open it, and even then I was nervous, even if judging by the placement of the book and its cover, it seemed totally safe.

It was full of saying such as, "Honey, I will do the dishes now." :lol:

That's all I have to say.

OK, if some people are offended by the Ryan Gosling homeschool thing, let's go back to another old thread that featured this...

http://wtfhub.com/2010/11/10-hilarious-lost-pet-flyers/

My favorites are the one with the possum... errr... CAT, and the one with the crazy-looking dog.

Oh my gosh the fourth one down is hilarious! :lol::lol::lol:

Oh my gosh the fourth one down is hilarious! :lol::lol::lol:

That was the one I loved, too -- and the one at the bottom with the "cat."

I wish I could remember who originally posted the link so I could give her credit for it. I'm going to go see if I can find the original thread.

EDITED TO ADD: Found it! Here it is: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332912&highlight=lost+pet+flyers

That was the one I loved, too -- and the one at the bottom with the "cat."

I wish I could remember who originally posted the link so I could give her credit for it. I'm going to go see if I can find the original thread.

EDITED TO ADD: Found it! Here it is: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332912&highlight=lost+pet+flyers

awesome! :)

I saw a little book in a book store once, called "P*rn for women." It took me a while to open it, and even then I was nervous, even if judging by the placement of the book and its cover, it seemed totally safe.

It was full of saying such as, "Honey, I will do the dishes now." :lol:

That's all I have to say.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh my goodness, thank you for bringing this subject up! I had no idea, and I think it’s completely cute and hilarious. Love it. While he’s a tad young for many of us here, I have heard of him and he is certainly good looking. I agree someone should depict a slightly older hottie; great idea though and harmless. We all have those days, I’m sure. It actually sounds like things that my dh says at times when he is teasing me. :leaving::blushing::lol:

Oh my goodness, thank you for bringing this subject up! I had no idea, and I think it’s completely cute and hilarious. Love it. While he’s a tad young for many of us here, I have heard of him and he is certainly good looking. I agree someone should depict a slightly older hottie; great idea though and harmless. We all have those days, I’m sure. It actually sounds like things that my dh says at times when he is teasing me. :leaving::blushing::lol:

There's always Sean. :D Sigh! :svengo:

nutella.png

Maybe Ryan Gosling is too young, but Sean Connery is 81 years old. Between the two, I'll take Ryan, please. :lol:

(Spewing wine on the laptop screen) You have a point there, gee, is he that old already?? I am getting slightly older, but I am not ancient. Okay what about Patrick Dempsey, Matthew Fox, Hugh Jackman, or Matthew McConaughey (yum)? Or Ryan will do just fine, I suppose. Hmm, then again, if my hubby gets back in shape for the summer maybe I’ll make a private one of my own.:D

(Spewing wine on the laptop screen) You have a point there, gee, is he that old already?? I am getting slightly older, but I am not ancient. Okay what about Patrick Dempsey, Matthew Fox, Hugh Jackman, or Matthew McConaughey (yum)? Or Ryan will do just fine, I suppose. Hmm, then again, if my hubby gets back in shape for the summer maybe I’ll make a private one of my own.:D

There's always Sawyer. :D

lost.png

Sigh. I miss Sawyer.

Originally Posted by farrarwilliams

I don't think it's saying that we are lazy or neglectful... I think the reason it's funny is that it's mocking the idea that our fantasy is to have a sexy man affirm us and understand even at our worst or most driven moments. Which is both true in some ways, but also completely silly because the disconnect is totally bizarre. The idea of someone talking about Charlotte Mason, laminating, Pinterest, dirty dishes or any of that in a sexy voice is just funny. Or, at least, it is to me.

:iagree:

I sent the Gosling meme link to DH and asked why he never said things like that to me. His response: "Hey girl. I like it when you send me photos of good looking guys saying things you want to hear. Tells me the kids are enjoying some educational TV programming." I had a good laugh and then promptly closed the laptop, took my shower, and turned off Team Umizoomi for the morning. :D He's a keeper.

Sigh. I miss Sawyer.

I sent the Gosling meme link to DH and asked why he never said things like that to me. His response: "Hey girl. I like it when you send me photos of good looking guys saying things you want to hear. Tells me the kids are enjoying some educational TV programming." I had a good laugh and then promptly closed the laptop, took my shower, and turned off Team Umizoomi for the morning. :D He's a keeper.

That's awesome!

lol Awesome! :)

Sigh. I miss Sawyer.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

That is hilarious!

I was cracking up reading the homeschooling and homebirthing ones. Enough my hubby had to come and see what I was laughing about.

Sometimes - you just have to laugh - and not overthink it.....:D

Are you talking about the WTM Ryan Gosling thread on this forum, or the Ryan Gosling stuff that was on a different website?

The "originals" were cute, but I really loved the ones on this forum -- I kept going back to the thread and checking for updates!

The website ones.

I think that this is the thread being referred to here. I know there was another one where people from WTM had made some of their own but I'm not sure where that one is.

I put it up Jean. That one is the first one in my list since it had some from the external site that had the meme as well as the ones we made ourselves. :p :)

I think it speaks very poorly of homeschoolers. I don't understand why so many homeschoolers think it is funny.

Really? Portraying us as moms this neglectful is funny?

Really? It's funny to say homeschool moms waste their day away while their kids do...what?

Again, another suggestion that we are lazy and neglectful.

Honestly, I take homeschooling seriously. I don't like be portrayed as a lazy bum using homeschooling as a cover. I think homeschoolers get a bad rap already. I don't find encouraging these thoughts funny.

Am I the only one who thinks this way?

For me it's not so much the sayings as Ryan himself. Couldn't "they" have chosen someone better looking?

But yes the sayings are demeaning too.

Team Umizoomi[/i] for the morning. :D He's a keeper.

LOL, your dh rocks :)

I didn't click on the first several threads as I didn't know what a meme was or Ryan Gosling either. I don't like oogling at men's pics either and usually avoid such threads. I just don't have any desire to do so, it is not a blip on my screen of enjoyable activities.

But I finally did click on one as my curiosity go the better of me and I laughed so hard. To me it isn't anything about being 100% accurate or saying we do those things. It is an exaggeration of things, a fantasy of sorts that all women have to a degree, to have our spouses be the perfect spouse and listen to us ramble on and on (as most of us women tend to be ramblers).

I find the more exaggerated ones the funniest, even though I don't really do those things. It is funny because it pokes fun at the fact that we can get a bit obsessive about things and also because it pokes fun at the fact that juggling all these things we do can be hard at times. I think it is better to laugh and be honest about it, we all struggle at times with getting everything clean, everyone fed and schooled etc- and as WTMers all of us also have our hyperfocus moments of studying curriculum, planning etc.

Lastly I think they are funny because they are such crazy things that no one would ever say, which is why to me the more exaggerated ones are the funniest.

Edited by soror