Menu

Singapore Math

socody

Someone please explain to me what I need to buy for Singapore Math Kindergarten? The website says you can use Essential Math & Earlybird together. I get that. Then I go on Amazon & they have both a Textbook and an Activity Book for Earlybird. What is the difference and which are essential for just starting out??

We used the Essentials books alone as well. There are many (many many many) resources online for supplimenting (for freeeee). I did get their math readers. Not something you have to have, but they're nice.

IOW, just the essentials workbooks is fine. Cuisine rods are nice as manipulatives, but you can use just about anything as math manipulatives ;)

Someone please explain to me what I need to buy for Singapore Math Kindergarten? The website says you can use Essential Math & Earlybird together. I get that. Then I go on Amazon & they have both a Textbook and an Activity Book for Earlybird. What is the difference and which are essential for just starting out??

The Textbook is softcover non-consumable, and the Activity Book is a workbook for the student to write in and includes cut-&-paste activities. I believe the two books were designed to go together, where you do a lesson together in the Textbook and then do a corresponding exercise in the Activity Book.

HTH!

The Textbook is softcover non-consumable, and the Activity Book is a workbook for the student to write in and includes cut-&-paste activities. I believe the two books were designed to go together, where you do a lesson together in the Textbook and then do a corresponding exercise in the Activity Book.

I got that part, but then there was something totally separate, the Essential Math books. I didn't know if they were the same thing as the Activity Book.

I haven't looked closely at the Essential Math books. I believe they could be used instead of the Textbook/Activity Book combination, as a cheaper alternative. The pages are black-and-white instead of color, making the price much lower. I haven't done a side-by-side comparison of the Essential Math and Earlybird, to see how their exercises compared. My guess is that they're pretty similar as far as concepts and teaching approaches.

The Essential workbooks can be used independently as a stand-alone program, but it doesn't feel meaty enough to me.

I use the HIG, the Activity book and the Earlybird book. I bought the math readers but really, I find them to be a waste of time and I rarely use them. Ok, I never use them.

I've considered buying the essential workbooks to supplement, but probably won't. I'll likely be buying a separate math program that spirals to supplement.

Ummmm....for me it has been somewhat helpful, particularly in keeping things organized. That said...I have not been overly impressed with their explanations of how to teach concepts. For example, my son is working through the solid shapes chapter. I would have liked the HIG to explain to me exactly how to describe to my son what each specific shape actually is. Because when he asked me, "Mommy, how is a rectangular solid different from a cube?" I found myself stumbling a little.

I should actually clarify...I'm not using the HIG...I had actually purchased the teacher's guide that was intended for the classroom. I hadn't been aware that there was a separate HIG specifically for homeschoolers. I will be trying that next time.

But I suspect that the organization and descriptions and lessons are similar. For organization, it's done well. For clarity and overall teachability...eh.