Menu

Chronic lower back pain..what is it?

My lower back has been hurting for at least three months now. It hurts way down at the bottom on both sides of the spine along the hip bones. Somedays I am so stiff and sore all I can do is lay flat. It doesn't make it better but it makes it tolerable. It has progressively gotten worse and now I can't exercise at all..not even a walk on the treadmill. It doesn't feel like its muscle because Bengay and massage don't make it feel better. I don't have insurance and I'm already $7000 in debt for my son's foot surgery...not too mention other debt from starting our business. I can't stand the thought of seeing a doctor because I simply can't afford it. Any ideas on what could be wrong and how I could help it to heal? Pain killers aren't doing much either at this point.

my backpain sounds similar and according to the PT it's primarily due to really tight hamstrings that have gotten tighter and tighter over the years. We started 2 weeks ago with gentle stretching of the hamstrings/lower back, and now she's adding in more strengthening as well.

Besides PT, which sounds like not an option for you right now, the book Healing Back Pain Naturally by Art Brownstein (I believe) has been really helpful to me as well. He includes many very gentle stretches, including ones you can do even when you can hardly get up out of bed due to the pain. My library carried it, which could be a good option.

Even though you said it doesn't feel muscular to you, everything in the back is so inter-related that if your muscles are tight, it will create other problems with the joints and nerves as well. So working on the muscular aspect should provide relief, if not complete healing. All the best! Backpain really stinks but you can heal from it.

If you could afford one trip to the doctor, I would do it. It's possible for lower back pain to be caused by something internal that you'd want to get a head start on and not let go for several months. Once those causes are ruled out, then you can try the environmental/exercise things.

It could be something like a sacroiliac joint problem, or as a PP said tight hamstrings affecting your pelvic tilt (which leads to back pain), or a host of other things.

I would consider seeing a physical therapist for an evaluation. If finances and insurance are an issue, sometimes they can get you started with a program and really spread your visits out, tweaking a home program for you as you go (depending on your needs and whether that is appropriate for your particular condition).

Living like that is not a good thing, so I would try to find a way to get treated.

Guest submarines

I self-diagnosed myself (Similar symptoms) with the sacroilliac joint issues. I've had it for about 3 months as well.

There are specific exercises for that, and they seem to be helping. Some exercises make it worse, so you have to be careful and not just do random / generic back exercises. I have days when it is almost gone, and I think it is over, but then it flares up again. :grouphug:

It could be something like a sacroiliac joint problem, or as a PP said tight hamstrings affecting your pelvic tilt (which leads to back pain), or a host of other things.

I would consider seeing a physical therapist for an evaluation. If finances and insurance are an issue, sometimes they can get you started with a program and really spread your visits out, tweaking a home program for you as you go (depending on your needs and whether that is appropriate for your particular condition).

Living like that is not a good thing, so I would try to find a way to get treated.

This is what is killing me. I feel like I have a big giant butt....but I don't. Tried chiro, massage, pain killers, yoga, physical therapy....still hurting. I think my hip displaced with my 6 th baby, and has been awful since then....

Faithe

Sounds like SI joint. My pain started about 9 years ago and has just gotten progressively worse over the years. I have changed my mattress, went to PT, had cortisone shots, and now I go to a chiro and message therapist. I still needs pain killers and regular applications of ice packs. Since I first started having problems I have added sciatica, and that problem with the bottom of your feet that I can't think of the name of right now. I do sometimes get tightening in my hamstrings, calves and higher lower back. I do have exercises and stretches to do and it is better with regular care but I don't think that it will ever get completely better. Sorry. :grouphug:

Mommyfaithe-Would you consider a different PT? How long did you do PT for? If it ends up being a sacroiliac joint issue, there are exercises and techniques the PT can use to get it back in place, but for the long haul it really takes rebuilding your core and so forth to help keep it in place. I'm not sure how your PT treated you or how long you worked on it. SI problems commonly get worse with hormone fluctuations too during menstrual cycles and pregnancy.

PT usually works pretty well for SI stuff (if that was indeed the problem) but unfortunately not all practitioners are equal, iykwim.

Thanks for all of the replies. I do have tight hamstrings which is probably not helping. But i looked up the sacroiliac joint thing and I think that's the problem. I mean I can't diagnose myself, but after spending the afternoon researching, I think that might very well be the problem. I've never really gotten back my strong, fit body since cancer and I'm sure those muscles in my core are not helping to stabilize those joints anymore. I'm gonna research exercises and stretches to see if that'll help at all. Then we'll see about consulting a dr. Thank you. I'm so glad I asked.