Menu

Do you think this is a reasonable way to extend HOD?

Heart_Mom

Hi!

We have been using HOD since August of 2010, and we really love it. Because my son was behind in some areas, I started out by combining my oldest two in Beyond when they were 9 and 6. The past August we started Bigger with my now 10 year old adding in Extensions and my now 7 year old doing it just as written.

This was fine for a time, but then I started realizing how quickly my 7 year old daughter will get to Preparing if she stayed at full speed in Bigger. Because we like to delay introduction to certain aspects of early history (greek gods, etc.), I'd like her to not get to Preparing until she is 9. (I'm not interested in discussing whether or not delaying exposure to these topics is a good idea! :001_smile:)

A couple of months ago I changed to doing Bigger with her at half-speed and doing it a little faster than full-speed with my 10 year old son since he is improving by leaps and bounds now! (He will be starting Preparing pretty soon.) My daughter is just finishing Unit 14 of Bigger. It's going fine, but I feel like we're losing continuity by not going full-speed.

I'm thinking that it makes sense to do something to extend the time that it will take to get to Preparing and here's what I'm thinking:

What if I take a break from Bigger and instead do Beautiful Feet's Early American Primary Curriculum with her? (I already own this.) Once we finish that, then we could return to Bigger (at full-speed!) and finish it out before we move to Preparing.

It might seem strange to stop right in the middle of Bigger, but I think that the BF curriculum is easier than Preparing. It might be quite a jump for her if we finished Bigger, then did BF, then went to Preparing. (She will also be listening in on LHFHG when I start it with my K'er in the fall.)

So does this seem like a reasonable plan? :bigear: Any alternate suggestions for me?

Thanks so much! :001_smile:

Well, if I remember correctly, a big part of BF's American History is Stories of the Pilgrims, which you already read in Beyond. If it were me, *I* would have a hard time wanting to read it again, even if dd didn't mind.

Hmmm... what if you finish Bigger at full pace and start Preparing at half pace.... have you calculated out if she reaches 9yo before you hit Greece?

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is, if I were in your shoes, I'd be more inclined to find something to use for a bit (a partial year - or however long you need) inbetween Bigger and Preparing rather than go back to BF. Maybe a unit study on something she's interested in (Doesn't BF have a horse study?) Or what about a state study? Or a geography study? Or what about MFW's ECC to use up a year? (Disclaimer - I've never used it) You could use the pattern of assignments in Bigger to make sure you were still requiring appropriate skill work from her.

Well, if I remember correctly, a big part of BF's American History is Stories of the Pilgrims, which you already read in Beyond. If it were me, *I* would have a hard time wanting to read it again, even if dd didn't mind.

Hmmm... what if you finish Bigger at full pace and start Preparing at half pace.... have you calculated out if she reaches 9yo before you hit Greece?

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is, if I were in your shoes, I'd be more inclined to find something to use for a bit (a partial year - or however long you need) inbetween Bigger and Preparing rather than go back to BF. Maybe a unit study on something she's interested in (Doesn't BF have a horse study?) Or what about a state study? Or a geography study? Or what about MFW's ECC to use up a year? (Disclaimer - I've never used it) You could use the pattern of assignments in Bigger to make sure you were still requiring appropriate skill work from her.

Thanks for your response, Lynn!

I had forgotten that Pilgrim Stories is a main book in BF Early American. I looked at the guide and saw that it's used in a little less than 1/3 of the lessons and I think we'll be okay with that.

I had forgotten about the BF Horse Unit Study. That may be an option for the future if I want to take another little HOD break...

I like the idea of using Bigger's assignment patterns to make sure I'm staying on track with assignments for her...

Thanks!:001_smile:

Anyone else have an opinion on my plan?