Menu

Sick but have a wedding. WWYD?

I'm sick. 100 fever, sore throat, cough, congested, ear infection. I haven't started meds yet (DH is going to pick them up today). But my SIL is getting married today. My DD4 is the flower girl. DH thinks I should stay home. I think I should just suck it up and go because it's a once-in-a-lifetime thing. I'll just drug myself up (tylenol, decongestant) and hope for the best.

Would you go anyway or stay home?

Please stay home - there will undoubtedly be many old folks and others who do NOT need to catch the creeping crud from you! Tell hubby to pay attention and fill you in later.

Not to mention, your SIL doesn't want to spend her honeymoon sick. Trust me, I did that.

I would call your SIL and explain (or have hubby do it) and see what her feelings are. I am a firm believer that sick people need to stay home, but I have gone to a thing that was important before, BUT I (and DH) warned people to stay away from me if they tried to come close and I was VERY diligent in sneezing into my arm away from anyone, making sure I kept washing and sanitizing my hands, and staying off to myself in a corner. It was important that I be there, but I made every effort to steer clear of anyone and not touch anything with my hands.

I would send your dd with your dh to the wedding but you should stay home. YOu can't risk getting other;'s sick. What if gramma has a lowered immune system, what if best friend suzy is about to start chemo, what if someone has their young children there? It is not fair to the rest if you show up sick.

I didn't go to my sister's wedding or my cousin's (both had destination weddings I could not afford), while it is disappointing to miss it, it is not the end of the world. I would rather miss it due to illness than have to attend gramma's funeral a few weeks later because she caught it and developed pneumonia or something.

Is the wedding nearby or would it involve a long drive? If it's close by, I would drive separately from dh and sit in the balcony, away from any other guests. Then slip out after others have gone. This way you get to see your daughter (being a flower girl is a big deal!) and the wedding, but not overdo it or spread germs.

Has your dd been a flowergirl before? Is she nervous? Depending on the situation, she might be comforted knowing Mom is nearby or she might be upset that you can't be right there with her. Maybe she would like to make a little game of it, glancing up at you in the balcony when she can.

Of course, if the wedding isn't at a church where there is a balcony, this idea might not even work!

I'd go separately from dh & kids, duck in at the last moment (away from other guests), and then sneak out before everyone else stands after the ceremony. I'd skip the reception, but I'd leave a note that dh could give the bride, wishing them the best, saying how sorry I was to miss the party, and that I was looking forward to seeing pictures of the fun.

Oh, and lots of hand sanitizer before I even touched the doorknob to enter the building.

Sorry you're not up to participating fully--that stinks! :grouphug:

Is the wedding nearby or would it involve a long drive? If it's close by, I would drive separately from dh and sit in the balcony, away from any other guests. Then slip out after others have gone. This way you get to see your daughter (being a flower girl is a big deal!) and the wedding, but not overdo it or spread germs.

Has your dd been a flowergirl before? Is she nervous? Depending on the situation, she might be comforted knowing Mom is nearby or she might be upset that you can't be right there with her. Maybe she would like to make a little game of it, glancing up at you in the balcony when she can.

Of course, if the wedding isn't at a church where there is a balcony, this idea might not even work!

:iagree: This, or stay home.

I'm sick. 100 fever, sore throat, cough, congested, ear infection. I haven't started meds yet (DH is going to pick them up today). But my SIL is getting married today. My DD4 is the flower girl. DH thinks I should stay home. I think I should just suck it up and go because it's a once-in-a-lifetime thing. I'll just drug myself up (tylenol, decongestant) and hope for the best.

I would go and just keep your distance from other people. Use a lot of hand sanitizer. Maybe skip the reception.

It's only a 100 degree fever, it's not like it's the flu. If you really want to go or think you need to be there, go. Try not to get too close to anyone, use lots of hand sanitizer and wash your hands with soap and water whenever you get a chance. Skip the reception maybe, but I wouldn't skip the wedding over a cold.

You should stay home. Why risk making everyone else sick just so you can see her? I'm with your husband on this one.

It's only a 100 degree fever, it's not like it's the flu. If you really want to go or think you need to be there, go. Try not to get too close to anyone, use lots of hand sanitizer and wash your hands with soap and water whenever you get a chance. Skip the reception maybe, but I wouldn't skip the wedding over a cold.

Having a fever is not normally just a cold.

I would call your SIL and explain (or have hubby do it) and see what her feelings are. I am a firm believer that sick people need to stay home, but I have gone to a thing that was important before, BUT I (and DH) warned people to stay away from me if they tried to come close and I was VERY diligent in sneezing into my arm away from anyone, making sure I kept washing and sanitizing my hands, and staying off to myself in a corner. It was important that I be there, but I made every effort to steer clear of anyone and not touch anything with my hands.

:iagree:

This is a good plan. This way if she flips out then you can go, but if she'd rather you stay home then that's fine too.

If you can write something brief that your dh could read as your toast if they have toasts at the reception that would be great. In law relations can be tough and a lifetime of off on the wrong foot should be avoid if at all possible.

:iagree:

This is a good plan. This way if she flips out then you can go, but if she'd rather you stay home then that's fine too.

If you can write something brief that your dh could read as your toast if they have toasts at the reception that would be great. In law relations can be tough and a lifetime of off on the wrong foot should be avoid if at all possible.

Exactly. I try really hard to make sure I keep inlaw relations going well. It's important to my husband as he is a peacemaker type....he does not like contention.