Menu

XPost: How do I teach grammar to a child with dyslexia?

zaichiki

This is the first time I've tried to (directly) teach grammar to my dd9. We've used Sonlight's Language Arts and I thought it was all going so well. We had been using the "old" grammar sheets, which seemed to be random in regards to order, but I thought she was getting it. She loves using Mad Libs (parts of speech) and that's how she's learned about nouns, verbs, and adjectives.

I wanted to go deeper and I had Easy Grammar 5/6 on the shelf, so I pulled it out...

Seems straightforward... but enter the dyslexia.

Cross out the prepositional phrase? No problem. Did this page after page for a week.

Underline the subject once and the verb twice? Okay. Same drill all week. No errors.

Do all of the above, but add verb *phrases* (auxiliary verbs) and suddenly she can't remember what a noun is, underlines "the" for a subject, confuses the subject/verb underlining (randomly does it twice for the subject and once for the verb), and tried to tell me that window was a verb! And I'm like :001_huh:! She's known nouns and verbs for YEARS!

Okay, okay, minutes later she wrote her name in cursive, but started with an F! (Her name has always started with S.) She caught it and laughed. So did I (on the outside).

I really do not get how I am supposed to remediate dyslexia when stuff like this happens. But it happens randomly. And suddenly.

Help!

HOW do I teach grammar to my child???

(Background: this is a child who is also gifted. We've been working on her spelling with AAS and she has improved tremendously. She reads above grade level, but needs remediation with writing mechanics and grammar. I am so completely lost right now.)

I've looked at a friend's FLL, but it looks like it encompasses more than we need...

Winston Grammar? That rings a bell... I wonder if I have it on a shelf somewhere... or maybe I just *meant* to buy it at some point. Now I have to go and look. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for the ideas.

Anyone have any others? Feel free to post experiences and options. I'm needing them.

:lurk5:

My kids don't have dyslexia, but they are whole to part learners and grammar has not come easy.

After trying several things I am currently using Rod and Staff because it goes slow and thoroughly. Although the other day my son couldn't define a noun without some probing :confused1: I tried MCT, Bob Jones, Evan-Moor, KISS, Grammarland, and CLE.

I recently saw my 9yo ds self-correct b/d in his writing too.

I have a hunch. I don't know if it is correct, but I think my son will connect and understand grammar best when he encounters it through foreign language study. We shall see. Meanwhile, I will carry on with Rod and Staff.

ETA: Maybe diagramming would help. My son seems to connect with it a bit more. I'm having him read some of the Daily Diagrams each week. I thought approaching grammar a little backwards might help some :tongue_smilie: I don't know if it is helping yet, but he really enjoys reading those complex diagrams.

Edited by Wehomeschool

My kids don't have dyslexia, but they are whole to part learners and grammar has not come easy.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

My oldest is a whole-to-part learner and learning grammar (and diagramming) was like breathing for him. I was spoiled.

You know... come to think of it... I *just* had a great idea and I don't know why I didn't think of it before! :banghead:

I *taught* grammar to deaf children using these symbols in 3-D! http://www.blog.montessoriforeveryone.com/grammar.html

I still have them in a closet somewhere... I wonder if it would work better with my dd. It's sort of like diagramming... It's kinesthetic.

Well, I guess I have some research (a refresher) to do! :D