Menu

Pulling 17yo out of 11th grade to homeschool?

My ex's daughter is living with me. She was homeschooled from 1st-5th and then went to ps. She just turned 17 and is a junior in public school.

She wants to be homeschooled again, go to community college and then she'll also be able to work. She said she was even considering getting her GED because she doesn't like highschool at all. If I pull her out of ps and homeschool her do we just count the public school classes on our homeschool transcript? I would much rather have her do that then drop out and get a GED.

Also does anyone have any experience with Keystone Academy? I was considering signing her up for some of those courses.

Edited by Addicted2Coffee

You would make 1 complete transcript for grades 9-12...

With my dd we marked the classes taken at the local PS (9th grade) with a * and the ones taken at the CC (dual enrollment) with a **

We also attached a copy of the PS transcript (her grades were good and it 'validated' the continuation of good grades).

Every state is different, but here, juniors and seniors in high school that homeschool can dual enroll at CC. One semester at CC equals a year of credit in high school, so they could 2-3 classes a semester, work, and then start college with a year out of the way.

:iagree:

My sophomore DD is taking one class with dual enrollment. Unfortunately, around here high school students get lowest priority which makes it very hard to get into good classes. That is one advantage to the OP's ex's DD getting her GED, she won't be limited in the number of classes she can take and she won't be dead last at registration. She could get her GED for community college reasons but then continue to homeschool with community college classes. I've considered doing this with my own DD.

Thanks. We just moved into a different school district, so I already pulled her out it was just the debate if we we're going to enroll her in the other school, which we decided not to.

She has 22.5 credits from the public school, 25.5 if we could count Algebra 1, Physical Science and Spanish 1 which she took in 8th grade.

She has taken some summer school classes through BYU Independent study and I think I'm going to get the 2nd half of the classes she was taking this year to finish them and some electives. Then she'll have 25 (or 28 if we can count the 8th grade classes) and I think that should be enough for her graduate early? :bigear: That's what she wants to do and then go to a University.