Menu

Anyone have a great side dish recipe using wild rice?

I like to cook up some, add it to cooked brown rice, and fold in some sauteed onions/minced carrots/minced celery/finely chopped pecans. I might have cooked the brown rice in chicken broth if I remembered. Throw in some seasonings as desired. You can use white rice instead of brown - whatever. Makes a good pilaf - just heat n' eat.

Just used this Wild Rice Mushroom recipe at Thanksgiving -- I'm not much of a mushroom fan, but thought this was *fabulous* -- I had thirds! :tongue_smilie:

Even though it is called a "stuffing" in the recipe title, it is NOT; it is a DRESSING recipe:

- Stuffing = stuffed into the turkey to cook

- Dressing = a side dish, baked in a casserole dish

The recipes was not difficult and served a LOT -- it says 6-8 servings -- it served more like 12 helpings. And it would be a fabulous side dish with any poultry or meat -- don't wait till Thanksgiving!

Changes I made:

- For a slightly crunchier texture, I toasted the day old French bread cubes in the oven until just starting to turn golden.

- I used a mix of ****ake and baby portabello mushrooms.

- I used chicken broth from homemade (not store bought) -- always boil up chicken or turkey bones in water, strain, and freeze the broth

ETA = WOW! Automatic editing! I had no thought what so ever that a particular type of mushroom had a 4-letter word embedded it -- never even NOTICED that before, until I looked at this thread after posting and discovered all the asterick symbols automatically inserted! :001_huh: That should have read: "she-talkie" mushrooms. ;)

Edited by Lori D.
added comment

I like to cook up some, add it to cooked brown rice, and fold in some sauteed onions/minced carrots/minced celery/finely chopped pecans. I might have cooked the brown rice in chicken broth if I remembered. Throw in some seasonings as desired. You can use white rice instead of brown - whatever. Makes a good pilaf - just heat n' eat.

Thanks. Sounds good.

I love pork with wild rice. Tenderloin or chops.

Thanks. I'll pick up a tenderloin to go with the rest of the bag. I'm currently looking for something to go with salmon.

Just used this Wild Rice Mushroom recipe at Thanksgiving -- I'm not much of a mushroom fan, but thought this was *fabulous* -- I had thirds! :tongue_smilie:

Even though it is called a "stuffing" in the recipe title, it is NOT; it is a DRESSING recipe:

- Stuffing = stuffed into the turkey to cook

- Dressing = a side dish, baked in a casserole dish

The recipes was not difficult and served a LOT -- it says 6-8 servings -- it served more like 12 helpings. And it would be a fabulous side dish with any poultry or meat -- don't wait till Thanksgiving!

Changes I made:

- For a slightly crunchier texture, I toasted the day old French bread cubes in the oven until just starting to turn golden.

- I used a mix of ****ake and baby portabello mushrooms.

- I used chicken broth from homemade (not store bought) -- always boil up chicken or turkey bones in water, strain, and freeze the broth

Yum! We are mushroom fans so I imagine we'll like it even more. :)

YES!

I make the Wild Rice Salad that is served at the Mitsitam Cafe, the cafeteria at the Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian.

In the Cafe, there are 4-5 different stations. Each station serves food that is "inspired" by food from different Indian tribes in different regions.

So the "Southwest" regional station has Fry bread and Buffalo burgers, etc.

Well, the Pacific Northwest station serves salmon, cooked on a cedar plank, and skirt steak, and some other things- and this wild rice salad :) It's very good and goes perfectly with salmon :)

Wild Rice Salad

If you don't want to splurge on Watercress, you can just leave it out, or substitute Arugula :)

We make this on Thanksgiving.... it's so authentic :)