Menu

My mom is starting IV chemotherapy next week

I am wondering if I should offer to go with her. Is that what people do? Or do people normally go by themselves? Also, I would appreciate any other tips you have on helping her with this. She has chronic leukemia and has oral chemo for a couple of years, but this is her 1st IV round. Thanks.

As much as I hate being told, "It depends," I really think it does depend on whether your mom is generally more comfortable with company or would rather sit quietly and read a book. Some chemo patients have companions the entire time, some are alone.

Either way, I'd suggest taking some non-taxing reading and a light blanket.

I wish your mom the very best. This must be difficult for you both.

My neighbor has been doing chemo off and on for two years now (stage four colon cancer - she is still with us! :) ) and her hubby bought her an iPad to help pass the time.

I drive her and pick her up hours later every other week, when she has the nastiest chemo that really drains her.

You can offer to go with your mom the first time, but leave it up to her. I have never been in the actual place where they give my neighbor the drugs - from what she has said sounds like there are several folks hooked up at once. There may not be a place for company. You should probably drive her and pick her up - no telling how cruddy the chemo may make her feel.

I would offer to go with her the first time, especially. A person getting chemo can have a reaction to the drugs, especially the first time and the nurses may not see it right away, for one thing. She may get drugs that make her sleepy which will render her less able to raise an alarm herself if something is off. I think it is just safer to have someone there, especially that first time.

Because chemo is usually long (the first time will usually be the longest), having someone there can help a patient pass the time--that part may depend on the patient's personality. Many people bring someone with them to chemo, so it won't be unusual.

I think it's a good idea to go with her, if you can. It might ease her mind to have company, and you can also doublecheck to be sure she is given the correct medications at the correct dosages.

I know it sounds paranoid, but I know of a local man who was accidentally given the wrong chemo drug, and he died as a result of it. It was a good hospital and they don't make many mistakes, but that time, someone messed up and the poor man died. Since then, I have always been very careful to verify any medications that are given to my family members.

I'm sure everything will be fine even if you don't go, but since this is the first time, please be sure someone is there to make sure she is given the right treatment.

When I did chemo, most people had someone there with them. Walking into chemo was about the scariest thing I ever did. Be there for the doctor's appointment ahead of time (a second person listening helps), to watch for side effects, to get her snacks if she wants when she is tied to the IV, to cluck sympathetically. I would definitely be there the first time if you can arrange your schedule, and continue (or arrange for others to be with her) unless she specifically says no.

My mom (who is otherwise a "leave me alone" kind of gal) would have loved to have either me or my sis with her for chemo. We both lived out of state at the time. My dad dropped her off and picked her up, but she told us later that it was hard sitting in there by herself.

I regret not being there for her during that time.

My prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time.

Boosting her immune system via supplements, herbal or vitamin, and perhaps juicing. There are alternative medical treatments - and I don't mean to discourage you or your mom since she has elected chemo treatment, just saying she can boost her health to strengthen her.

Yes, I would go the first time and see from there what she needs. Must be scary. :grouphug: for you and her. All the best.