Menu

Mac users: can you get StartWrite software with the New American Cursive font?

September

In another theard "plain jane" mentioned that she purchased StartWrite 5.0 from StartWrite.com and then, additionally, the NAC font (for $9). I cannot find a way to do this -- through the StartWrite site, or through emailing them (they haven't responded to my emails).

Does anyone have experience with this? I'm kind of stalled-out on some other decisions until I figure this one out.

(And, yes, I'm being picky... Ha, ha. The Modern Cursive font that StartWrite offers is close, but I just don't like it as much.)

If it works like it should (I'm not familiar with StartWrite) you should just be able to download the font, and then when you click on it in your Finder, it should open and asked to be installed in your FontBook. This should be all that's necessary.

You can also just drag in from your finder into your FontBook (in the Applications Folder).

But NOW I'm going to check StartWrite out!

Thanks. I do know how to download and install fonts... just not how to get my hands on the New American Cursive one.

Let me know what you think of StartWrite once you check it out. I assume from the set-up that you can only use it with the fonts they provide. They DO have New American Cursive set-up to work with the software; but, so far, I can't get them to respond to my notes about how I can purchase it from them (for StartWrite 5.0 which works on Macs).

Edited by September

In another theard "plain jane" mentioned that she purchased StartWrite 5.0 from StartWrite.com and then, additionally, the NAC font (for $9). I cannot find a way to do this -- through the StartWrite site, or through emailing them (they haven't responded to my emails).

Does anyone have experience with this? I'm kind of stalled-out on some other decisions until I figure this one out.

(And, yes, I'm being picky... Ha, ha. The Modern Cursive font that StartWrite offers is close, but I just don't like it as much.)

Did I say this? :lol::lol: Must have been a really old thread!! :eek:

FWIW, I have only been a Mac user for the last two years so when I posted about that I would have still been using a PC. I've not been able to get StartWrite to work properly on my Mac. :glare: Ever. :glare::glare:

It simply won't format or print properly so I gave up on it. :tongue_smilie: I really like the program and I miss it but the hassles and effort to make up a sheet were no longer worth it to me. One day, in all my spare time :rolleyes:, I'll have to try to figure out how to get it to work.

So... Do you mean that you purchased StartWrite FOR your Mac (the Mac version), and it still was just a pain?

And, to clarify, when you purchased NAC for $9, that was for your StartWrite PC software?

I found that old thread just by doing a Google search for NAC StartWrite for Macs. I don't think I noticed how old it was until now!

I googled the other day and came up with posts on this forum saying they can't sell NAC for Mac as it's licensed for Startwrite 6. Startwrite 5 isn't compatible with Lion, either, so that stinks. :(

Yes. I've emailed Iris Hatfield, who designed the New American Cursive font, about whether the NAC-specific StartWrite software (sold on newamericancursive.com) would be available for Macs anytime soon, and she said that she couldn't make any promises.

So, then I Googled and came up with that thread in which plain jane said she's purchased the NAC font as an additional font from StartWrite.com. I was hoping, hoping that that might somehow work out.

Doesn't it seem like a lot of the people who would be Mac users would also be people who would be really picky about fonts, and love making their own documents/print-outs? I hope they get on it with better options for us. Maybe we could start bombarding them with requests...!

So... Do you mean that you purchased StartWrite FOR your Mac (the Mac version), and it still was just a pain?

And, to clarify, when you purchased NAC for $9, that was for your StartWrite PC software?

I found that old thread just by doing a Google search for NAC StartWrite for Macs. I don't think I noticed how old it was until now!

I found the thread you are referring to. That was 2008! :svengo:

I didn't end up purchasing the NAC font. I looked into it, called the company as to how to do it etc, then decided I didn't like the font enough to spend the extra money on it. I was just as happy with what the original StartWrite came with.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Well... I'll try giving them a call, at least.

Basically, in 2008 they were willing to sell New American Cursive as an additional font for $9. However, that was for their PC software.

One more question: did you purchase their Mac software, and have troubles with that? or did you try the PC software on your Mac, and have troubles with that?

Well... I'll try giving them a call, at least.

Basically, in 2008 they were willing to sell New American Cursive as an additional font for $9. However, that was for their PC software.

One more question: did you purchase their Mac software, and have troubles with that? or did you try the PC software on your Mac, and have troubles with that?

i bought mine a long time ago- 2007 maybe? It says version 5.0 on the disc and then it says Windows 98+, XP, 2000 Mac OS 8.6 Min, OSX

I took that to mean it would work on both. :confused: I don't know. I see now that you have a choice of the Windows version or Mac version. I don't recall having a choice back then... but I wasn't a Mac user then either. It wasn't even on my radar that I would be. ;)

At any rate, it works, but not well.

Ah! The way it is listed on the StartWrite site, I thought I would either order a Mac or PC version of the program. Now I see that it was just as you were suggesting... just one disk that works on both.

It's interesting that you found version 5.0 didn't end up working all that well on your Mac. Maybe that is why they haven't even bothered to release 6.0 for Macs?