Menu

Greek before Latin??

taffnus

Is there a reason we should NOT study Greek before Latin? I have never taken Latin but I did have a year of Greek in school so I'm familiar with the alphabet. I have Greek Code Cracker and it looks really fun. I'm considering starting my dd8 on Code Cracker and then move into Elementary Greek for 4G then add in Latin when I think she can handle it.

It seems that most people do Latin first so, I'm wondering if the different alphabet is the only reason. Ideas????

Personally, having studied both Latin and Greek I would say that Greek grammar is more complicated, so there is that to consider as well as the different alphabet. I'm not sure how much that would make a difference in the early years of learning the two languages. I have never taught them (we haven't got that far yet) and I learned Latin first.

Emma x

You could go with either one first, I would just separate them by at least a year or two. The Greek Code Cracker is fun, but my kids got more out of A Greek Alphabetarion: A Primer for Teaching How to Read, Write & Pronounce Ancient & Biblical Greek and A Greek Hupogrammon: A Beginner's Copybook for the Greek Alphabet with Pronunciations.

Edited by Bloggermom

There is no "real" reason other than (for most people) greater cultural and linguistic proximity, so starting with Latin somehow inherently makes more sense (starting from the more familiar, something you are going to make connections with more easily, and gradually venturing into more exotic).

Technically you can start with Greek and get to the same point eventualy. Latin is just less daunting, and often also more handy (a greater diversity of materials to use, etc.).

Thanks for the responses. I understand the thinking that Latin would be easier because of the similarities to English PLUS she's had a couple years of Las Clase Divertida and I'd like to step up the Spanish instruction this year (and include my 6yo). The two would probably complement better than Greek and Spanish.

My dd is excited to work through the Code Cracker now so I think we'll do that this semester and see how the intro to the Greek alphabet goes. I'll then be able to review some Greek programs at our homeschool conference in June and see how difficult they look. I'll have a better idea then what we can handle at this point.

Most of our Greek curriculum presume you studied already Latin, so Greek grammar is always referring to Latin grammar. Without knowledge of Latin you can't study Ancient Greek here...

I own Elementary Greek, and you can study that without knowledge of Latin.

Thanks! I was looking at Greek for Children or Elementary Greek (leaning towards EG because of reviews here). This is good to know.